The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrew Scheer stepping down as Conservative Party leader/Which has morphed into the Gun Control thread

Mackcanuck

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true. But who's going to displace him as King of Alberta? no one. He'll keep a death grip on that leadership and Albertans won't ever elect a non-PC government. He's got a job for life, due to Albertans unwillingness to make changes most of the time. Notely was the multi-generational exception. 

Even she went dark real quick!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm thinking @ForsbergTheGreat might throw his hat in the ring....

....he's already got the arrogance, condescension and general disdain for any opinion that doesn't mirror his own.....

....and hey, he's already got "The Great" in his name....

yeah, almost makes me want to unblock him. I see enough of his bs in peoples quotes. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wow, he's corrupt. Who saw that coming? 

Politicians who aren't seem to be a rare breed. 

Jimmy Carter wasn't corrupt.  He was just incompetent.:P

Have to think the Cons power brokers knew about sticky fingers Scheer long ago but kept their mouths shut.  They just let the news out now when it appeared to them Scheer wasn't going anywhere soon enough.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

part of it imo is we have these weird expectations of leaders, and media has made it so that they have to be these perfect projections of leaders vs. just good people with good ideas. They are out there in gov't, I look at people like BC senator Larry Campbell and all the good things he's done and is doing, or MPs like Freeland. They are out there. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dekey Pete said:

Well at least we now know why he was originally pushing for a private school tuition tax credit https://ipolitics.ca/2019/08/09/scheer-drops-private-schools-deduction/

Too funny

Well, Scheer's campaign manager of this year was also into a hot mess. He tried to pay money to a PR firm to discredit the PPC. It may have worked, at least partially, but we know that the Conservative party, as it is, is rotten to the core.

I'm sure a lot of Conservatives couldn't stand Scheer but voted along party lines. Now they have a great excuse to put someone else on. How could Scheer be so STUPID?

Always been saying this but the best move would be to dismantle Conservative leadership and re-haul it. This would give the party plenty of time to compete for the next election. So this is actually good news for the party.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

All people inherently have the capacity for both good and bad. We should not be shocked that politicians are likewise. Particularly in a system that's basically setup to scratch each other's backs as it's modus operandi.

It's voters responsibility to be informed and keep them in check. That's as much our failing as it is theirs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true. But who's going to displace him as King of Alberta? no one. He'll keep a death grip on that leadership and Albertans won't ever elect a non-PC government. He's got a job for life, due to Albertans unwillingness to make changes most of the time. Notely was the multi-generational exception. 

He'd be able to nominate an interim leader and if necessary hold another election within the next 10-14 months which they'd no doubt win because why do anything different in Alberta for longer than 4 years.  A toady in Alberta of his choosing while he runs for federal office again.

Do not put it past him.  We know what his promises are worth

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He'd be able to nominate an interim leader and if necessary hold another election within the next 10-14 months which they'd no doubt win because why do anything different in Alberta for longer than 4 years.  A toady in Alberta of his choosing while he runs for federal office again.

Do not put it past him.  We know what his promises are worth

My cousin in Alberta wouldn't know who to praise if lil buddy went Federal.

35 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Over 150 years of Cons and Liberals, and folks are just figuring this out? A gerbil should have beaten Trudeau in the last election, but mr mumbles couldn't pull it off.

Scheer lost but what did he really bring to the table. He was so busy trying to be a smart Trudeau clone that it would have made no dif. Rona is a Westerner and that won’t sell in the east. McKay is kinda shifty. I met him. He has been waiting for this chance for years. 

I done with Ottawa. Will vote Wexit.

If Scheer shouldn’t have lost then what about Harper? That campaign was a disaster as well.

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Scheer lost but what did he really bring to the table. He was so busy trying to be a smart Trudeau clone that it would have made no dif. Rona is a Westerner and that won’t sell in the east. McKay is kinda shifty. I met him. He has been waiting for this chance for years. 

I done with Ottawa. Will vote Wexit.

If Scheer shouldn’t have lost then what about Harper? That campaign was a disaster as well.

Perhaps there's a inherent problem with the CON party, platform and message....?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Good News and Bad News for Federal Liberals.

Good news because the Tories will be busy selecting new leader and will not want to defeat Liberals in confidence vote without a leader in place.  Liberals should be able to hold on for a year or two while the new Tory leader is being selected and groomed to be possible future PM.

Bad news is the Tories may actually select someone that can beat Trudeau and the Liberals.  Let's face it, Scheer was a very weak leader.  Almost anyone else could have beaten Trudeau in the last election.

• Upvote 1