The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Jan. 12, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Lol, some posters can't give Green or the defence any credit.  The Wild had inspired effort to get back in the game late and Marky shut the door as the team gutted out a road win on a back to back in the afternoon with 4 games in the last 6 days.  

It is a team game and Marky isn't scoring any goals.  Sure chances are traded that shouldn't be, but it's great to watch and it seems to suit Markstrom.  Some guys like to see a ton if rubber, Luongo wanted to play all the time.  

I liked your earlier post about the process of maturing a team. IMHO that is what the Canucks are going thru this season. They have a core of young players who should challenge for a CUP in 3 years. I thought the results of the game flattered the Canucks to an extent. The PP was a disaster but the ongoing pressure in the ozone was at times impressive. 

I was actually shocked at the Minny team. They lost the game because they could not beat Marky but more because they could not hit the net. The Minny offence was to put it mildly unenthusiastic. There is a problem there. 3 players consume 25% of the team CAP. It probably starts there. Perhaps a future warning for the Canucks. 

I have been projecting Motte into more of an offensive role on the 3rd line. The player that would be dropped down would be Roussel. Yesterday's game showed why Roussel is needed. He is a unpredictable physical force that the team needs. Unfortunately he takes penalties based more on rep than actual penalties.  

What do we have to do to get Kass back? Love that guy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

It was rough man. Complaining about the Sutter penalty...

Horvats stick was in Pcs lol

I was eagerly anticipating the replay on that call because of the ferocity of his protest.  Then I saw it.........why would you complain about that call in any way, let alone how he did.  Not only was it a blatant slash, it also nullified a scoring chance.

12 hours ago, wesley said:

Are they playing like him? I don't follow Wild.

numbers are a lot better (kind of hard not to be), but still underachieving and a disappointment for where the team thought it would be given the outlay in $$$

11 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

How many other teams can say they have 4 players on pace for 70+ points? And Tanner Pearson isnt far off pace for 70 points either. We have some serious scoring depth up and down the line up.

We are still looking for another top 6 forward... can you imagine snagging a legit top 6 player at the deadline??!

Don't need one atm, we have 2 maturing on the 3rd line.  I wonder if JB's comments about needing another top 6 winger were more for Jake and to a lesser extent Gaudette.  

Jake's game has certainly looked much stronger since JB's remarks.  

Just a thought.  

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I liked your earlier post about the process of maturing a team. IMHO that is what the Canucks are going thru this season. They have a core of young players who should challenge for a CUP in 3 years. I thought the results of the game flattered the Canucks to an extent. The PP was a disaster but the ongoing pressure in the ozone was at times impressive. 

I was actually shocked at the Minny team. They lost the game because they could not beat Marky but more because they could not hit the net. The Minny offence was to put it mildly unenthusiastic. There is a problem there. 3 players consume 25% of the team CAP. It probably starts there. Perhaps a future warning for the Canucks. 

I have been projecting Motte into more of an offensive role on the 3rd line. The player that would be dropped down would be Roussel. Yesterday's game showed why Roussel is needed. He is a unpredictable physical force that the team needs. Unfortunately he takes penalties based more on rep than actual penalties.  

What do we have to do to get Kass back? Love that guy. 

I don't think Kass will come back.  He has a good thing going in Edmonton and with his history, he may just want to stay there.  

JB did him a favour by trading him.  It helped him rock bottom, but I don't think he holds the club in warm regards.   

Still love that Kass put things together.  The guy had all the tools, but life got in the way.  He is going to make Matt Tkachuks life rough from now on.  

The Player Safety meeting is BS.  Sounds like daddy called his old friends.  MT is a pest and a heavy player.  He is going to get hit back.  It seemed likely that Kassian was going to engage him and Matt, being the POS he is doesn't drop the gloves.   He did draw the penalty, but by being a total asshole.  

Really reminded me of Kesler.  I prefer the style of our club.  I like Bo's approach vs the MT approach.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Bo Horvat on pace to improve his goal and point per game totals each year for the first six years of his career. 

Just awesome.

That’s all you could ask for from any player. Take on more responsibility, move up a line, get more ice time, improve goals/assists (even if it’s only a couple). Steady progression and consistency.

He has been an excellent young player and is becoming an excellent mature player. very happy with his development under both Willie (played a decent role in his young career) and Travis. 

bo horvat yes GIF by NHL on NBC Sports

15 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Watching Horvat (15g, 40p) Boeser (16g, 43P) and Miller (16g, 44p) compete for second in team scoring down the stretch is going to be a lot of fun! I think it’s going to be very tight 

Can you imagine what it will be like if Brock explodes down the stretch and goes all Pastrnak on everybody’s ass? Passes Petey in totals? I can dream..

12 hours ago, xereau said:

Your last line is very true. Good enough to beat a poor team, they even dominated at times. But even the lowly wild pinned the five man collapse down, hard, more than a few times, especially in the 3rd there. Buttclenching isn't a system, and I really hope they learn some new tricks before they slink into the playoffs and get walked 4 straight by a team that simply passes it around the outside till they score.

I can't say how much of this is a system, but I will say we have some really crappy personnel that do this all on their own simply by being too tired from either staying on to long or refusing to clear the D zone when they have a chance.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

It should have been a lesson learned by all teams ever since Tampa won the cup in 04.  They had like Lecavalier, St. Louis and Richards taking most of the cap of the team, thus leaving the team with no goalie and no defense.  Funny how Edmonton still haven't learned that lesson.  

Hopefully GMJB will just tell EP, Hughes, etc... that being massively overpaid and winning championship are strongly inversely correlated.  

• Cheers 3

17 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Man we are a lucky fan base right now with the scoring threats on this team. Nobody complaining about that Miller trade now. He’s the straw that stirs the drink. Brings the best out of his teammates. JB hit a home run there. 

to think Ferland and Benn are not playing ....leaves Miller and Myers as the new additions. By far, JT Miller has put this team on his back and has something to prove. He is a top line player that the first round pick would not have got.

Fantenberg is holding his own, as well...

Edited by Pete M
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I don't think Kass will come back.  He has a good thing going in Edmonton and with his history, he may just want to stay there.  

JB did him a favour by trading him.  It helped him rock bottom, but I don't think he holds the club in warm regards.   

Still love that Kass put things together.  The guy had all the tools, but life got in the way.  He is going to make Matt Tkachuks life rough from now on.  

The Player Safety meeting is BS.  Sounds like daddy called his old friends.  MT is a pest and a heavy player.  He is going to get hit back.  It seemed likely that Kassian was going to engage him and Matt, being the POS he is doesn't drop the gloves.   He did draw the penalty, but by being a total asshole.  

Really reminded me of Kesler.  I prefer the style of our club.  I like Bo's approach vs the MT approach.  

I said it at the time, one of the reasons Benning didn’t draft MT was because of his character. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

lol Garret went  because king Richard was hurt  ,  

And was well onhis way to being the MVP, till Gretzky woke up.

22 minutes ago, Pete M said:

He is a top line player that the first round pick would not have got.

I like the trade, but that first  round pick may end up being a better player than Miller or not, time will tell. Either way I say good trade.

I just had one quick assessment of the coach’s system that I wanted to point out. It was something that was bothering me for pretty much half of the season.

Yesterday was the first game in months where we changed our lines while keeping possession. Numerous times, our dmen pivoted and returned into our d zone in order to let the change happen (Stecher did this the most) whilst not just dumping the puck in, like we had started doing way too much in the last month or so. This actually launched a handful (if not more), of solid rushes up the ice. 

I was very happy with that adjustment by Green and co. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1