The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Kings shopping Alec Martinez

38 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

That is why the prospect is included. Maybe they get more elsewhere. But I am coming from a point of view of what would make sense on the Canucks side. I would be willing to add a mid level pick too depending on who the prospect is and possibly if they eat some salary too to help us shed salary to resign Tanev and Markstrom this offseason. 

Benn is a replacement for Martinez short term - they still have to field a team. Baer can slot in and replace Toffoli who they will likely trade for picks and prospects. If I was a team like LA I would bet on Baer being a servicable top 6 guy and increasing his value. 

Or they can keep the roster spots to play their prospects and have them develop.  LA is not close to competing.   If they are going to lose anyway might as well have the season be used towards player development.   That was Sakic's calculation a few years ago.  He was saying he rather lose while young players are developing than playing veterans. 

Don't know what are LA's plans but Kopitar and Doughty are fully on board with the rebuild per another article earlier in the season.  McLellan also talks of how they are several years away.  They already have some veteran contracts that they won't be able to move so not sure they'd want to add more.  

Their prospects are now 1 year more experienced than last summer so they might also want to start opening spots.  Could be why Martinez is available - he still has a year on his contract. 

Edited by mll

2 hours ago, Tower102 said:

What the other posters have said above does make sense though. Benn and Baer with a B level prospect sheds salary and upgrades our D.

Why would LA do that. Basically getting waiver wire player who cleared twice a guy that can’t crack our d’s 6 position

And a b prospect.

so we ll take you’re player and give you nothing. 

doesn't  shed salary Alex 4 mill  bear 2.2 benn 2. All three. With the same term 

Doesn’t free up any cap to resign the important members of this current club. 

Edited by Tracksuit

10 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Why would LA do that. Basically getting waiver wire player who cleared twice a guy that can’t crack our d’s 6 position

And a b prospect.

so we ll take you’re player and give you nothing. 

doesn't  shed salary Alex 4 mill  bear 2.2 benn 2. All three. With the same term 

Doesn’t free up any cap to resign the important members of this current club. 

they get a decent d prospect, and might be able to flip Benn one more time and recover more assets. There are not many teams who are in contention that can also take on Martinez full salary, or want to move a roster guy to make it happen. This way LA either has two players on decent contracts for next year, which is going to be another rebuild year anyway, and a prospect and maybe get something for Benn too.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they get a decent d prospect, and might be able to flip Benn one more time and recover more assets. There are not many teams who are in contention that can also take on Martinez full salary, or want to move a roster guy to make it happen. This way LA either has two players on decent contracts for next year, which is going to be another rebuild year anyway, and a prospect and maybe get something for Benn too.

Still doesn’t save us a penny. And That’s a lot of what ifs.for LA

Draft picks is what most rebuilding teams want. (With the exception of Vancouver)  when trading vets in a rebuild. 

To say this guys such an improvement over our d yet LA should take spare parts for him. 

Like I said I rather make room for the young guys in our system that have been improving and give us cap flexibility so we can sign our actual future. 

Edited by Tracksuit

12 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

Still doesn’t save us a penny. And That’s a lot of what ifs.for LA

Draft picks is what most rebuilding teams want. (With the exception of Vancouver)  when trading vets in a rebuild. 

To say this guys such an improvement over our d yet LA should take spare parts for him. 

Like I said I rather make room for the young guys in our system that have been improving and give us cap flexibility so we can sign our actual future. 

I don't think a 3rd and Benn are "spare parts" thats actual value. Baer could potentially be a good player for them in a rebuild as well. 

Martinez is a good fit on the bottom 6 for a lot of teams heading into the playoffs, but he's not a word beater. Vancouver doesn't need to save money just improve a little bit. 

On 1/14/2020 at 7:22 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think a 3rd and Benn are "spare parts" thats actual value. Baer could potentially be a good player for them in a rebuild as well. 

Martinez is a good fit on the bottom 6 for a lot of teams heading into the playoffs, but he's not a word beater. Vancouver doesn't need to save money just improve a little bit. 

We don’t need to save money? 

We can’t even carry a 23 man roster If we wanted to. And the guys we need to resign this summer and next won’t be cheap. 

Benn cant crack our line up making him a spare part by definition. Bear same.

i don’t think  he’s a much of an upgrade over the guys we have or the young guys that have “earned “ a shot. 

Fantenberg has been a fantastic surprise

Personally I think the system is more of a problem than the personnel. So I just don’t see AM helping. 

The Jets have been hammered by D losses in the offseason and with depth injuries - may be hesitant to move their futures - but they have a few good young D prospects = they could probably afford to move one and use an upgrade lke Martinez on their blueline.  They're right on the edge competing to stay in the race - I'd guess they could be one of the possible destinations.   The Leafs have a clear and obvious need, but their cap flexibilty has been in Dubas' hands...

On 1/13/2020 at 10:17 AM, Screw said:

I would target Joel Edmundson out of Carolina.   Physical guy always stands out to me.  Uses his size well.

Only problem I see with this is that Carolina's also vying for a playoff spot. I'd be surprised if they'd be willing to trade him away.

All the Rumours revolve around defencemen right now ! 

TSN is working overtime cooking up trade rumours that are going to bring the perfect defenceman that fixes all the Leafs problems and maybe a runner up that can help Winnipeg . To hell with the rest of the league, unless you want to trade something to the Leafs for next to nothing.

Just now, Toyotasfan said:

All the Rumours revolve around defencemen right now ! 

TSN is working overtime cooking up trade rumours that are going to bring the perfect defenceman that fixes all the Leafs problems and maybe a runner up that can help Winnipeg . To hell with the rest of the league, unless you want to trade something to the Leafs for next to nothing.

It's probably because everyone wants defensemen so it makes it easy for people to make things up. <_<

On 1/13/2020 at 11:10 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Get him as a punching bag for Petey. 

NegligibleCautiousKiskadee-size_restrict

Funny was just thinking about that as well. There was actually another shift later in the same game where EP took aim and just ran over Martinez again in open ice. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...