The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Boston Bruins | Feb. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Once again , the reffing was completely fine. And this is coming from a 30 year canucks fan. 

The hit on Pettersson less than a minute into the game and the lack of a penalty to the Bruins for interference/roughing was absolute crap.  You cannot hit a guy 4 seconds after he passes the puck.

You think that was good reffing?

I beg to differ.

• Cheers 3

17 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Ummm. That's how the rule works. You have to touch the puck for it to be offside.

Do you play or have you ever played? Do you touch the puck as you are stuck handling 100 percent of the time? Think about it 

you still have control but not constantly making contact between stick and puck. So now they have to zoom in not only on a players skates but also the stick to see if the puck is a mm off the stick at the point of entry 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Coach Ghandi has to stop relying on NHL calibre reffing to protect his players 

if EP is taken out we are done 

Don't know why so many think this comes down to just coaching.   It's on the players more then anything, if they don't have enough respect or fight for each other to get in the other teams face when things like this inevitably happen then they haven't figured it out yet.  TG played in a much tougher era and you can be sure he gets it.   I'm sure he preaches discipline too - but then again there is enough lazy ones called on this team from time to time - and it hasn't resulted in a benching so .... I highly doubt a players taking his ice time in risk by glove punching or an after whistle roughing call to send a message.  

Fear of retribution is probably the biggest deterrent.   No big brother on this team (yet) to take some of that away.   It's not just Vancouver, its most of the league. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, riffraff said:

Just watched the highlights.

As a Canucks fan I am embarrassed at our lack of response to the attempt to injure a great person and a franchise player.

How many times his was hit like that since he started playing for Canucks? 3-4 times I believe. I wonder if EP wants to stay long term with a team that can't protect him

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Stech, Edler and you could say Hughes had a worse night. 

Hughes seemed tired and he was really off today. Passes were off and he was undressed on a few occasions. 

Totally agree. Bruins' high pressure system really worked on him and they either made him fumble the puck or force passes often. They also totally telegraphed the cross-blueline pass on the PP but it was good to see him on the bench reviewing that play. I'm sure he won't be making that pass blindly again.

10 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

For the record, we have played the Bruins approx 121 times In regular season in our history ... and won 31 

not exactly “close” 

To be fair the Bruins had great teams pretty much the entire time we've been around,  from the Big Bad Bruins of the 70's, to the Borque teams (started in 79),  maybe a brief lull until the current version which started when Chara came over and still going strong.   Considering how bad we were most years the first 20 years I'm surprised we have that many wins.   I'm sure we have some ties in there too...

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

By identity you mean players. Because I don't think guys like Hughes are going to play a physical game. This is why you can't go with nothing but skill on a team. You need to have size to battle with teams like Boston and St. Louis. A player like Podz will be a welcome edition to the team. 

Plus it's not nearly as bad as some posters seem to make it out to be.   From a size viewpoint  we have one of the better balanced team in the league already, even without the extra six inches of Myers neck.   Each line and defensive pairing has some size and bulk to it by today's standards.    All that heavyness JB brougjt in changed thing for us and more then make sure up for QH, Stetcher and EP (who eventually won't be small once he fills in some more, he's above average height).  Missing Ferland for sure, he's the heavy hitter on the team and he's going to be back soon.   Would be nice if we did have a guy that likes to fight and does it well,  but there are maybe five guys left in the league that can do that anyways (which I'm not a fan of).   Team hasn't figured out yet that you simply can't allow anyone to take liberties on anyone - especially the stars, that's bothersome and on the players to figure it out.  

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Plus it's not nearly as bad as some posters seem to make it out to be.   From a size viewpoint  we have one of the better balanced team in the league already, even without the extra six inches of Myers neck.   Each line and defensive pairing has some size and bulk to it by today's standards.    All that heavyness JB brougjt in changed thing for us and more then make sure up for QH, Stetcher and EP (who eventually won't be small once he fills in some more, he's above average height).  Missing Ferland for sure, he's the heavy hitter on the team and he's going to be back soon.   Would be nice if we did have a guy that likes to fight and does it well,  but there are maybe five guys left in the league that can do that anyways (which I'm not a fan of).   Team hasn't figured out yet that you simply can't allow anyone to take liberties on anyone - especially the stars, that's bothersome and on the players to figure it out.  

It's also understandable, it still stings losing to Boston. My buddy from Toronto even texted me. He was watching the game, and he was just saying how much he hates the Bruins.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, 1-d said:

Losing to a contender is no shame. 

Going belly-up, getting pushed around with no pushback and hanging your goalie out to dry while losing is.  

The flipside of that being it's the 4th game on the road in 7 days....with two of those back to back early morning games.

They looked very depleted...I don't think it's a matter of not caring.

Tanks are empty...one more, then head home and regroup.  

As much as I really hated that last game, mostly it was because Boston was in it.  Teams that get a little extra help and are good are tainted to me.

• Cheers 4

That looked like a tired team last night. No jump on the offense, no push back when challenged, no fight for the puck.

So many defensive miscues. How many breakaways against? How many bad passes especially in our own end. How many times were the forwards heading up ice instead of supporting the D man.

Lazy plays especially checking the Bruins. I like Jake but the effort on the Krecji goal was exactly what was wrong with the team last night.

The delay of game calls were ridiculous as well. Those have nothing to do with bad reffing, so many 5 on 3 power plays....

The hit on Petey was late for sure and should have been an interference penalty but really the refs had very little to do with the Canucks losing this game.

This was on the players. Again we never know if the flu is running rampant, if the plane got in late or the hotel was noisy and no one got any sleep but that was a stinker of a game and almost no compete from our guys. The Bruins are a contender, much Like Tbay, we dont seem to be in their league ....yet.

This is a throwaway game. Get two points from the Wild and we should be happy with this trip.

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Green stated that he was frustrated by the hit on Pettersson. Shouldn’t he have been equally frustrated by the complete lack of pushback from the rest of the team, especially guys like Roussel, Myers and the like? 

Seeing the Canucks not respond to their best player being victimized by a late hit is embarrassing. What kind of a team is this?

Hopefully Pettersson doesn’t grow tired of the lack of guts from the rest of his team and demand a trade to one that values him enough to step up and stand up for him. 

I think our coaches have coached the physicality out of this team Benning's tried to give us some push but then hired these soft coaches who played a small mans game probably all wished they played in the NHL today. Our team doesn't fair well when other play aggressive pp stinks get Boeser outta there and Rousel on 2nd unit wtf. Rousel not bringing anything to this team bring in Bailey or Macewen. Don't get me wrong I like where we are in the standings, like winning but we have to be more physical something our coaching staff cant phantom.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1