The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Boston Bruins at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 22, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

42 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

To be fair, TT is 5yrs older than Brock, who is still in the developmental stage of learning the NHL game.  It sure would be great if the Nucks can have them both in their top 6 over the next few years!

Fore sure, but in the here and now I had a good feeling TT was going to click.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Come on man.

Can't you see he's playing his heart out for the team right now?

Even his harshest critics can’t deny that he’s been playing much better. 

Not playing like a 6 million dollar player but he’s at least showing he deserves to be in the lineup. That’s the best we should be hoping for now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Even his harshest critics can’t deny that he’s been playing much better. 

Not playing like a 6 million dollar player but he’s at least showing he deserves to be in the lineup. That’s the best we should be hoping for now.

He's playing much better, lately.

Which is maybe to half his cap hit value. That's being generous. Noting against Louie, I'm sure he's stoked about the new blood on the team, and the improvement going on around him with is reflected in the winning column. Winning feels good, feeds confidence, so you have more, and  give more to keep it going, like most every player on the team. He works pretty hard. Its like as an experienced once more dynamic veteran, he KNOWS what to do, where to go etc, he just doesn't complete the task half the time, whether its a hit, or a pass, or a shot, 

He kills penalties well. And hes an elite empty netter. But its all about the cap savings. I don't dislike Louie, and yes he's been putting in the effort lately. Of course you gotta ask, if he was capable of putting up this kind of effort earlier, then how much of his underwhelming production was a natural drop off, how much is/was leftover moping that he never should have lost his job on the twins line?  If a team is paying you six million clams, where was this energy before, and can we count on it keeping up?  Not worth the trouble for that cap hit, sorry.  Six mill extra cap would dig JB out of a lot of holes, help us keep Tanev, Stecher, and Markstrom, and also, bonus, I wouldn't be ragging his a all day.

• Cheers 4

Great game last night. 

By far Loui's best game as a Canuck. He looked sharp and had great jump out there. 

Has Bo lost a fight? He sure throws his mitts quite well. 

We beat them in every aspect of the game, their Goalies had more holes than Swiss cheese. 

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

I'd go so far as starting a petition this summer. "Please retire Louie"   Not very nice, but as a last resort if I hear that Louie is not even considering retiring.

You may not have to.  Management can use demotion to Utica as the hammer here as per another thread on this site.  Then offer him a plumb advisor or scouting role for the salary he'd forego.  With that carrot and stick combination, they could get the job done.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Which is maybe to half his cap hit value. That's being generous. Noting against Louie, I'm sure he's stoked about the new blood on the team, and the improvement going on around him with is reflected in the winning column. Winning feels good, feeds confidence, so you have more, and  give more to keep it going, like most every player on the team. He works pretty hard. Its like as an experienced once more dynamic veteran, he KNOWS what to do, where to go etc, he just doesn't complete the task half the time, whether its a hit, or a pass, or a shot, 

He kills penalties well. And hes an elite empty netter. But its all about the cap savings. I don't dislike Louie, and yes he's been putting in the effort lately. Of course you gotta ask, if he was capable of putting up this kind of effort earlier, then how much of his underwhelming production was a natural drop off, how much is/was leftover moping that he never should have lost his job on the twins line?  If a team is paying you six million clams, where was this energy before, and can we count on it keeping up?  Not worth the trouble for that cap hit, sorry.  Six mill extra cap would dig JB out of a lot of holes, help us keep Tanev, Stecher, and Markstrom, and also, bonus, I wouldn't be ragging his a all day.

This is exactly it:  Loui is no longer the issue.  Retaining the players we actually want to keep is. 

• Cheers 1

Cap has handcuffed us again it’s not Just Erickson contract . For a stretch of about 18 months a while ago 2 seasons . Management doled out a bunch of three million dollar contracts to build some depth..trade off we really did not win much more an never did win lottery. At best it has been lottery drafting by management that allowed us to dress rookie players ..this kicking of the can down the road analogy if you will has also come home.No excuses on Loui but that was a big patronage overpayment based on former Boston relationship.To me worst case is roll into playoffs with current roster an hope a d man in system can come up an bolster our D . If you watched leafs last night thy struggled against D an goaltending was problematic. We seem to have good goaltending tandem winning at right time. Our D has been a question mark for few years as long as we can over come  with smart playing . We may do some damage this year if can get into playoffs . I would say if there is no player there don’t sweat it an tide it out with what we have .

12 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Don't take this away from the team...this was NOT "just" goaltending.  Bruins didn't play so great...they were behind a step almost all game.  That wasn't just a tired team, our team was firing on all cylinders and flying out there.  Skating circles around them (literally...Quinn's spinorama was brilliant).

Hinting that this was attributed to (only) goaltending is very short sighted.  Bruins didn't have a response to our game when their dirty tactics weren't enough.

If the goalies had switched teams, what would the score have been? I did say the Nucks played great.

1 hour ago, NHTyrany said:

If the goalies had switched teams, what would the score have been? I did say the Nucks played great.

"If the goalies had switched teams"??   That's irrelevant to the discussion...you threw in that they played great but in a mixed message way.

6 hours ago, kilgore said:

Playing in bottom six isn't his style offensively.

He got really good at the defensive side of his play.

Now, when Green is pushing for play off and got a few key players injuried, Loui has showed that he can play top 6. 

He was directly involved in 3 goals against the Bruins. First, he took away Chara so Gaudette didn't have to bother with him, second he steered the puck(hence the assist)and on the rebound Pearson got a goal and then with some great puckhandling and a guy on his back Loui got a goal.

If it was Petey or Boeser you probably would have said something like Wow but know it's Loui and it's meeh... 

Horvats found his game due to Loui because Horvat doesn't have to bother whar Mac or someone not so good defensively does beside him.

And Loui seems to slowly regain some offensive confidence he lost as a member of bottom six. 

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Haydnucks said:

Quinton Freaking Hughes! 4th in the league for d-man points. For a rookie?! This is going to be a great ride over the next few years. Still can’t really believe it.

I remember some total homer saying he was the best D in his draft and that we'd all find out soon enough. Everyone pretty much gave him the business, what with Dahlin being generational and all. Wish I could remember who that poster was. I can't believe we get to watch him in Canucks colours every night. How lucky are we?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Samgagner'sface said:

I remember some total homer saying he was the best D in his draft and that we'd all find out soon enough. Everyone pretty much gave him the business, what with Dahlin being generational and all. Wish I could remember who that poster was. I can't believe we get to watch him in Canucks colours every night. How lucky are we?

Alf has talked about over 50 points for Hughes. I think he is the one who talked most about how good Hughes are. 

Edited by Timråfan
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

11 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Playing in bottom six isn't his style offensively.

He got really good at the defensive side of his play.

Now, when Green is pushing for play off and got a few key players injuried, Loui has showed that he can play top 6. 

He was directly involved in 3 goals against the Bruins. First, he took away Chara so Gaudette didn't have to bother with him, second he steered the puck(hence the assist)and on the rebound Pearson got a goal and then with some great puckhandling and a guy on his back Loui got a goal.

If it was Petey or Boeser you probably would have said something like Wow but know it's Loui and it's meeh... 

Horvats found his game due to Loui because Horvat doesn't have to bother whar Mac or someone not so good defensively does beside him.

And Loui seems to slowly regain some offensive confidence he lost as a member of bottom six. 

Sorry. Way too little, way too late. We're hoping him to now regain his offensive confidence? Now? Three years older? He has one okay game and the Louie Fan Club shows up still counting on a miracle transformation.
Again, it's about the cap hit, not... You just wait this time Louie will be really really really good. Management could use the 6 mill cap space, and Louie can still sneak out of town with $31 mill for services rendered.

Seriously it's the least he can do.

11 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Sorry. Way too little, way too late. We're hoping him to now regain his offensive confidence? Now? Three years older? He has one okay game and the Louie Fan Club shows up still counting on a miracle transformation.
Again, it's about the cap hit, not... You just wait this time Louie will be really really really good. Management could use the 6 mill cap space, and Louie can still sneak out of town with $31 mill for services rendered.

Seriously it's the least he can do.

Well, talking about beating again... Green has played a tactical, rebuilding game I believe.

It means he play players in different positions to either learn them another skill or test players in that different position. 

Rebuilding phase as I heard.

This means that he played Loui in a bottom six due to strategies we don't know anything about. 

Loui won't skip any money unless he gets a role in scouting/management.

He got over 2 years left on his contract so the past 3 seasons isn't anything to bother about.

Do you want him to change name? :bigblush:

But one thing I don't get is why fans like you don't listen to Horvat.

Horvat has played with a lot of players the last two seasons and I can only recall that he thinks Loui is where his linemate should be. 

So why not be happy that Horvat can play a more offensive style. 

• Like 1