The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Ottawa Senators | Feb. 27, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Eklund is such a trolling buffoon... so the Canucks are only going to get 13 points and just 5 regulation wins out of their last 19 games?

:picard:

image.png.eb1dbbae093ba605dda6e67e4bd32c36.png

Canucks went through a 7-12-2 (Demko went 4-3-1) stretch in Nov.-Dec. when every team they faced wasn't playing for their playoff lives or jockeying for position already playoff-bound. Looking at the schedule and the lack of Markstrom to steal games then 5-11-3 doesn't seem like its that crazy. They only have 4 games against teams not in the playoffs or fighting to get in, 2 against Anaheim and 1 each against LA and SJ. Anaheim always plays well against the Canucks and LA and SJ would love to play spoiler.

1 hour ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Couple things I picked up on:

1. I felt like Gaudette looked pretty good on the wing when he was tried with the second line. Anyone else notice this?

2. Sens like to seagull for breakaway passes. Seriously, three different times sens were hovering by our blue line for a long Bomb breakaway pass.

3. Miller when frustrated tries to do too much by himself. Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s been playing amazing. Not Even saying he had a bad game. I’ve just noticed a couple times as the team falls behind or Is outplayed by opponents Miller will try to stick handle through the entire opposing team and cough up the puck. Doesn’t happen often, just thought it was interesting.

Pretty good observations.  Horvat used to do this before Pearson came on a lot too (3) - also Hughes had a good chance to pass it off last night once too but tried to dangle it through four guys last night in the slot once too (and had a guy open but kept going and lost it).  Sure TO will be a different game entirely ... hopefully in a good way ...

20 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Canucks went through a 7-12-2 (Demko went 4-3-1) stretch in Nov.-Dec. when every team they faced wasn't playing for their playoff lives or jockeying for position already playoff-bound. Looking at the schedule and the lack of Markstrom to steal games then 5-11-3 doesn't seem like its that crazy. They only have 4 games against teams not in the playoffs or fighting to get in, 2 against Anaheim and 1 each against LA and SJ. Anaheim always plays well against the Canucks and LA and SJ would love to play spoiler.

Here's the thing....no one knows.

All teams are going through an up/down cycle at different times...it's all about "just getting there".

Can't predict it...it changes so fast.  

I really hate all this "figuring out" because this team is quite capable of putting together a solid playoff run.  Marky's been huge, sure, but we also have some solid performers too.  JT, Bo, Quinn, TT, Petey...it's about getting hot at the right time.  Petey's due.  Jake has potential to come on strong.  It's one thing to ONLY have goaltending...but that's not the case.  We can score goals too and that matters. 

It's all so unpredictable that I won't put my team in a position that's out of the race.   I'm here to support them and wish we'd just do more of that instead of waiting for the sky to fall.  

51 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Eklund is such a trolling buffoon... so the Canucks are only going to get 13 points and just 5 regulation wins out of their last 19 games?

:picard:

image.png.eb1dbbae093ba605dda6e67e4bd32c36.png

After yesterday's game he might be not too off the base...  Canucks has a long history of games where they choked. For whatever reason, I always remeber game 5 of 2003 playoff agains Minny. All they had to do at that point - overwork Minny and the road to Cup would be wide open. Yesterday's game remained me that fiasco- besause both Crawford in 2003 and Green now has failed to prepare the team play hard agains a weaker competitor.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, GritGrinder said:

I actually view that as a plus as the team often doesn’t seem to get up for non-playoff type teams.  Like they think they can just show up and get two points.  

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I actually view that as a plus as the team often doesn’t seem to get up for non-playoff type teams.  Like they think they can just show up and get two points.  

16-14-2 against teams currently in a playoff spot.

18-9-4 against teams currently on the outside.

So essentially .500 against the playoff teams and 5 games over .500 against non-playoff teams.

If we apply those metrics to the Canucks final 19 games:

9-7-3 is the most likely outcome.

43-30-9 95pts and 3rd in the Pacific is my guess...if Markstrom was healthy...if Demko can't get dialed in or Domingue doesn't provide some "magic" then its anyone's guess.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

After yesterday's game he might be not too off the base...  Canucks has a long history of games where they choked. For whatever reason, I always remeber game 5 of 2003 playoff agains Minny. All they had to do at that point - overwork Minny and the road to Cup would be wide open. Yesterday's game remained me that fiasco- besause both Crawford in 2003 and Green now has failed to prepare the team play hard agains a weaker competitor.

Come on.....we had 4 players playing and a schwack load of passengers... that's on the players and the player leadership group..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Come on.....we had 4 players playing and a schwack load of passengers... that's on the players and the player leadership group..

It's up to the coaches as well, and when it happens as often as it does, for as long as it has been going on..

You need look no further than the Incredible Sulk behind the bench.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jayinblack said:

'Effin PLEASE !

I can't take LE in the top 6 anymore.  He just doesn't  bring enough to Bo's line.

TBH I havnt minded LE lately, but at this point in his career you cant expect him to be a gamer every night.  Maybe he could play with Gaudette/Virtanen tho, but that might mean scratching AR to get ZM a look

• Cheers 1

I don't know if many of you remember the 90's when we had a lot of character players who would step up when "need be" and it wasn't always the same player. Whether it be Linden, Ronning, Courtnall, Adams, Bure etc., someone would "pick it up" especially when we were down. Its been many years since we had such a player and the norm is to "Accept" a loss and move on. 

When we were down 2-0 we had no interest to pick up the pace, lay a big hit, kick in that extra gear or just give more then the usual. It seems its just business as usual and hope we get lucky. This mentality has been this culture on this team for a very long time. 

Miller seems to have that "never give up" attitude which I hope will rub off on the rest of them.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

I don't know if many of you remember the 90's when we had a lot of character players who would step up when "need be" and it wasn't always the same player. Whether it be Linden, Ronning, Courtnall, Adams, Bure etc., someone would "pick it up" especially when we were down. Its been many years since we had such a player and the norm is to "Accept" a loss and move on. 

When we were down 2-0 we had no interest to pick up the pace, lay a big hit, kick in that extra gear or just give more then the usual. It seems its just business as usual and hope we get lucky. This mentality has been this culture on this team for a very long time. 

Miller seems to have that "never give up" attitude which I hope will rub off on the rest of them.

I feel that about Miller too...

until his post game interview last night.

He sounds like he has joined the club