The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Ottawa Senators | Feb. 27, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Ray Ferraro just said we're the best team in Canada right now. Then we better bloody beat the Laffs on Saturday.

All of TSN was singing our praises during the Trade Deadline and part of me was like, "Do you even watch our games?"

sigh....their poor defensive structure may actually cost them a playoff spot....Myers is not great at the moment...crap actually....and how much are they paying him???? Sigh...oh well...one can only hope they have some sort miracle against the leafs...otherwise....back to losing streak...

35 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

Maybe next game will FINALLY be the game where we get:

Miller - Pettersson - Virtanen

Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli

Why Loui goes here is absolutely beyond me.

Unfortunately for us Green has his own twisted way of thinking.....

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

Maybe next game will FINALLY be the game where we get:

Miller - Pettersson - Virtanen

Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli

Why Loui goes here is absolutely beyond me.

no we won't

first we'll see Pearson Bo Loui

then if that doesn't work, Pearson bo Motte

then Pearson Bo Gaudette

weren't you paying attention?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Demko may have had an off night, but the team sure as hell didnt show up either... By the time they started getting any momentum it was too late.

He also made some saves that could have gone the other way. Trade the few soft ones for the few big saves and its a moot point. Still the same outcome when the team doesnt show up to help him out. He bailed them out on Tuesday, they failed to help him out for a second consecutive game.

The team struggled out the gate and were hemmed in quite often. Goalies can bail the team out when they play bad, teams can bail the goalie out when he’s having an off night. Tonight, neither helped each other out.

Figure it out for Saturday.

• Cheers 1

JT is right - too many golden opportunities tonight and in the past 2 weeks (remember the 49 save shutout for Markstrom) - pls tighten up the D or this season may be over quickly.

I think the Canucks take too many shots in the perimeter and not enough close in with tips or crashing the net / slot area. Throw Roussel on the top 2 lines if you have to - need lots of traffic, going to the net - . Brendan Gallagher type effort. This type of hockey is only going to intensify in the next 4 weeks as teams will start boxing out and blocking perimeter shots anyway.

Hopefully they can get some pts this weekend though may be tough with 2 rather decent opponents. The Leaf loss last week, though bad, had quite a bit in how the Canes were playing D in the third as well.

4 hours ago, philtbc829 said:

sigh....their poor defensive structure may actually cost them a playoff spot....Myers is not great at the moment...crap actually....and how much are they paying him???? Sigh...oh well...one can only hope they have some sort miracle against the leafs...otherwise....back to losing streak...

giphy.gif

Step back from the ledge... Last night wasn’t great, but Canucks’ odds of making the playoffs are still over 93%.

It will take a catastrophic collapse for the team to miss. After taking the boots to the Bruins, and coming back from 2-0 to finally beat Montreal, a one-off bad game isn't the end of the world.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

i know Ottawa is a snooze fest town but I didn't expect the Nucks to bring pillows to the game. What an embarrassment. I truly believed they would count their blessings from a steal in Mtl and come out swinging. The opposite happened. the team was disinterested from puck drop. No fight, no might, no team. Ottawa is only playing for pride. Most players on this team seemed to have no pride tonight. Pettey was pissed, I liked that, but what about our expensive sand paper? No more grit from polishing too many diamonds?

I'm ranting because I usually only get to attend one game a year and it happened to be this let down. The shot clock does not tell the true story. At least lower bowl tickets were only $65. Time to sit some of these veteran passengers and bring in some passion from the farm. No play-offs if this attitude prevails. Or, even if we squeak in, we will be pummelled and bitc& slapped all the way to the golf green.      

I am not sure what it takes to play , for example Mac over LE. Coach green is very stubborn 

I know it's the stretch drive, but playing these same 12 forwards is NOT going to be successful. Only so many ways to switch around some of these guys that shouldn't be playing right now.

I was glad to see Eriksson demoted - but it needs to be a removal from the line-up. MacEwan needs to see the ice, even if it's 4th line minutes.

Miller and Toffoli best two forwards on the ice. Petey is fighting it a little.

The second line - Pearson and Horvat are running cold; they need a better third linemate - whether that's Virtanen, MacEwan or Gaudette.

Roussel hasn't done much lately, and the third line isn't doing anything and needs a switch-up.

Motte is still skating around and hitting everything, but doesn't have the hands for consistent 2nd/3rd line minutes. Sutter and Beagle are essentially the same player, and while they both fight for loose pucks, they aren't hitters or bringing any extra energy now.

I've resigned myself to the fact that Vegas is heating up right now and will probably take the division. As a kind of consolation prize, that potentially mean Edmonton, Calgary (or Arizona) in the first round if they can drag themselves into the playoffs as 2nd/3rd seed in the Pacific. I'd take Vancouver over any of those teams across 7 games - just need to figure out the forward situation and 3rd pairing defense (Benn hasn't been playing well, and the Myers/Fantenberg pairing was dreadful today. What would it take to call up someone and have Green take a chance on them... Rafferty? Brisebois? The safe plays couldn't be any worse than what we saw today from them.

Edited by Canadian
  • Like 1

Our rope a dope didn't work last night.   Came out flying in the third.  And yes I tried yelling at the bench but voice was sore from MTL game so not sure they heard me Spook.  Late in the game I thought about teasing TG about his hometown but didn't have the heart - had some dingers ready too.   Left after the empty net goal - found my driver mirror hanging by one wire ... drove home in a snow storm - ducked taped it to the car ... it's maybe a little funny it's my wife's car at least, until you factor in the $300 speeding ticket I haven't told her about yet from coming back from the MTL game in it too  - now she's going to make me quit drinking for a couple months, plus my couch is lumpy.    At least they could have won the darn game right?  Ha ha.  Stupid OTT.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2