The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

We bump Calgary in PPG% . So we are 3d in division and a playoff team. 

I don't believe NHL will come back to play and finish this regular season and/or playoffs. 

So for draft purposes since we are in a playoff position our 1st round pick goes to NJD via TBL for Miller trade. 

Edited by WHL rocks

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

We bump Calgary in PPG% . So we are 3d in division and a playoff team. 

I don't believe NHL will come back to play and finish this regular season and/or playoffs. 

So for draft purposes since we are in a playoff position our 1st round pick goes to NJD via TBL for Miller trade. 

What makes you not believe they are gonna finish this season? 

That's very silly to think. They specifically said they are pausing. They'll likely resume in 1 - 3 months when Corona has died down. 

The season will be played out. The Canucks will be our 2020 Stanley Cup Champs. 

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

What makes you not believe they are gonna finish this season? 

That's very silly to think. They specifically said they are pausing. They'll likely resume in 1 - 3 months when Corona has died down. 

The season will be played out. The Canucks will be our 2020 Stanley Cup Champs. 

Just do the math.  If they need to shut down for 3 months how will they complete the season and playoffs in time to start the 2020/21 season 

Massive societal overreaction in general as young/ healthy people are not being impacted BUT it is only a game and professional sports is far less important than societal decisions about health so it was inevitable that season would be cancelled.   Prediction - no SC this year just as Spanish Flu did once upon a time to NHL.   SARS and H1N1 were far more dangerous to younger healthy people but the age we find ourselves prides decisions that are hysterical in proportion to risk so it is what it is (Bertuzzi invoked).

Good year for growth for Vancouver.    They will hit the ground running nicely for 2020-21.

• Wat 4

IF they resume this season/playoffs you would think that they would shorten the regular season next year as well to give adequate time off for the players. I would say playoffs are unlikely at this point. But if we do resume this year at least we will have Markstrom back healthy :)

18 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Apparently the Athletic has removed its paywall for COVID-19 related articles.  I am a subscriber so I don't know if it's true or not.  Still, here's an article on what could happen, maybe.

https://theathletic.com/1671378/2020/03/12/what-will-the-nhl-season-look-like-if-it-resumes-after-the-coronavirus-shutdown/?source=shared-article

And with the 14th overall pick, the Vancouver Canucks select Dylan Holloway.

Benning @ the table: @we just hit jackpot boys”

TSN: wow the Canucks got something really special here. Why Florida, Minnesota and Winnipeg passed on this kid is beyond me.

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Just do the math.  If they need to shut down for 3 months how will they complete the season and playoffs in time to start the 2020/21 season 

If it's that long? Finishing the season with the traditional amount of games and playoff series would be logistically impossible. The NHL would most likely cancel the regular season games and do a highly truncated playoffs like single games or best of 3. 

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Massive societal overreaction in general as young/ healthy people are not being impacted BUT it is only a game and professional sports is far less important than societal decisions about health so it was inevitable that season would be cancelled.   Prediction - no SC this year just as Spanish Flu did once upon a time to NHL.   SARS and H1N1 were far more dangerous to younger healthy people but the age we find ourselves prides decisions that are hysterical in proportion to risk so it is what it is (Bertuzzi invoked).

Good year for growth for Vancouver.    They will hit the ground running nicely for 2020-21.

I'm sure it's an overreaction but I would much rather they do this than risk players being one of the 0.2% in that age range that actually develops into a fatal case. 

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Cheers 1

I honestly dont see the season playoff resuming. Look at how long the virus been spreading for? It's been 3 months and it's still spreading around in china even though it's somewhat contained there according to them. I dont think any player would be willing to play playoff hockey in july august and then literally have 0 time off and start the 2021 season. Plus ice condition would be atrocious and most fans would be on summer vacation if this virus passes.

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

If it's that long? Finishing the season with the traditional amount of games and playoff series would be logistically impossible. The NHL would most likely cancel the regular season games and do a highly truncated playoffs like single games or best of 3. 

That’s my point.  Apollo thinks it’s silly to think the league won’t play out a full season and playoffs.  The fact of the matter is it’s incredibly unlikely that they can do that. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

I honestly dont see the season playoff resuming. Look at how long the virus been spreading for? It's been 3 months and it's still spreading around in china even though it's somewhat contained there according to them. I dont think any player would be willing to play playoff hockey in july august and then literally have 0 time off and start the 2021 season. Plus ice condition would be atrocious and most fans would be on summer vacation if this virus passes.

I don't know. I think most players would still jump at the chance to play for the cup, even if it meant next to no time off before the next season. 

7 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

That’s my point.  Apollo thinks it’s silly to think the league won’t play out a full season and playoffs.  The fact of the matter is it’s incredibly unlikely that they can do that. 

Yeah, I just can't envision the full season being played now. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I'm sure it's an overreaction but I would much rather they do this than risk players being one of the 0.2% in that age range that actually develops into a fatal case. 

There is a higher risk from this year's flu and the remaining remnants of H1N1 but, hey, if you want zero risk I get it.   NHL didn't shut during SARS in 2003 or in 2009 with H1N1 when healthy young people were dying.

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Agreed.  The NHL needs a somewhat lengthy offseason just to give all the guys playing through injuries enough time to have their surgeries done and ample time to heal.

Its doubtful the NHLPA would allow the season to go too far into the summer.

Edited by skolozsy2
  • Upvote 1