The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

So since this is about the NHL cancellation and we already have a virus thread, does anyone know what happens to our pick if the playoffs end up cancelled?

This is what I came on here to find out too. Ultimately I think no one knows at this point. The way I see it, it could play out a couple ways:

1. because we were technically in a playoff position, Tampa gets our first pick

2. because it was never officially determined whether we were going to make the playoffs or not, we retain our pick for this season and Tampa gets our first next year. 

I’m thinking that to determine the order of picks in the draft, they will calculate the points per game average. So even though we’re currently 12th from last place, after calculating the point per games average it drops us down three spots to 15th I believe. 

It’s a pretty simple calculation to determine the average: 78 points / 69 games played X 82 games = 92.70 points 

Using the equation above it would actually leap frog us ahead of the Flames, Rangers and the Jets despite those three teams having more points than us. Reason being is because we’ve played less games. The Flames and Rangers average out to 92.54 points and Jets average 92.39

I also wonder what they’ll do with the draft lottery?

Edited by YearoftheNuck

On 3/11/2020 at 3:48 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but is this virus airborne? Like, if someone is unwell 10 feet from me, can I catch the virus? Or is it only transferred by touch?

Just thinking about opening the windows on the train and bus, would that help?

Latest research shows it can survive 3 hours in the air and 3 days on surfaces. Earlier information saying person to person contact spreading only looks to be false. 

https://time.com/5801278/coronavirus-stays-on-surfaces-days-tests/

If this follows the trajectory of Italy (2,000 new cases daily), Europe (France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, Austria 100+ new cases daily) and the US (100’s new cases daily) then here’s what will happen here. First it’s only a few cases (Jan. 28 1st case in BC), then dozens (Mar. 7 27 cases), then hundreds (there is 53 cases as of Mar. 12 and we will hit 100 in the next week or so), then thousands. As infection rates increase so do the deaths from those who are most vulnerable: the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions. First it’s 1 death, then dozens then hundreds then thousands. No country has reached that point yet (Italy will cross 1,000 dead tomorrow), but that’s the trajectory.

Of course this could play out very differently here and I pray that this scenario does not come to fruition, but it’s wise imo for us to look at previous countries experiences with the virus given that this is something we know very little about.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

This is what I came on here to find out too. Ultimately I think no one knows at this point. The way I see it, it could play out a couple ways:

1. because we were technically in a playoff position, Tampa gets our first pick

2. because it was never officially determined whether we were going to make the playoffs or not, we retain our pick for this season and Tampa gets our first next year. 

I’m thinking that to determine the order of picks in the draft, they will calculate the points per game average. So even though we’re currently 12th from last place, after calculating the point per games average it drops us down three spots to 15th I believe. 

It’s a pretty simple calculation to determine the average: 78 points / 69 games played X 82 games = 92.70 points 

Using the equation above it would actually leap frog us ahead of the Flames, Rangers and the Jets despite those three teams having more points than us. Reason being is because we’ve played less games. The Flames and Rangers average out to 92.54 points and Jets average 92.39

I also wonder what they’ll do with the draft lottery?

F8C11692-20B9-4088-9C5D-2FBED9F6200F.jpeg

way I see it if the playoffs are cancled then the Canucks keep their first and send Tampa next year's. All the teams are given lotto odds based on their current standings. 

And with the 31st pick in the 2020 entry draft the canucks select. Helge Grans

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, x00x said:

if this takes longer than 30days, they will probably cancel the season

If this is the case, brace yourselves because the season will likely be cancelled. 

A worldwide pandemic won't magically go away in 30 days unless every country (and its general population) do their part.  Unfortunately, if you go over to the coronavirus thread, you can see there's plenty of self-centred and entitled individuals that have the mindset that if it doesn't affect them, it doesn't matter.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

If the season does come back, which I think is unlikely, I think they should come back into a divisional round robin tournament with all 31 teams and the champs moving on to conference and Stanley Cup finals of 7 games.

No, because that would mean pathetic teams like Detroit, gets a chance to win the cup (not saying they would, but the idea they get to play in a playoff round robin is bs). A line should still be drawn somewhere.

Edited by ruilin96

7 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

No, because that would mean pathetic teams like Detroit, gets a chance to win the cup (not saying they would, but the idea they get to play in a playoff round robin is bs). A line should still be drawn somewhere.

I’m hopeful we get to keep our first this year.  I think we are even a better team (with new coach) next year. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I’m hopeful we get to keep our first this year.  I think we are even a better team (with new coach) next year. 

I would actually want to keep our first next year for a chance to get Quinn's youngest brother onto the team. He has the potential to be an even better Defenseman than Quinn!

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

unfortunately I think we're going to get dinked on this. We're technically good enough for the playoffs by point %, which is the goal Jim set for the team, but we won't be able to actually play the games. Is so Canucks. 

• Upvote 1

The Canucks are technically in, aren't they? The standings show VAN and NSH each played 69 games, each team has 78 points, VAN has 36 wins, NSH has 35. 

So, isn't VAN ahead of NSH?

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If this is the case, brace yourselves because the season will likely be cancelled. 

A worldwide pandemic won't magically go away in 30 days unless every country (and its general population) do their part.  Unfortunately, if you go over to the coronavirus thread, you can see there's plenty of self-centred and entitled individuals that have the mindset that if it doesn't affect them, it doesn't matter.

I could totally be misunderstanding things, but I think it's kind of the other way around.  For countries that don't do their part, more people will get infected and so the pandemic will burn itself out faster.  In countries that do their part, it lasts longer but far fewer people will be impacted.

I saw this infographic on the subject:

No photo description available.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1