The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Talks of Return in July

Rate this topic

JUST IN: NHL looking at restarting season in July.
Games would be played at 4 or 5 neutral sites with limited or no fans, according to Florida Panthers president Matt Caldwell. 
On the conference call, he said this plan is not finalized.

Now, NHL insider David Pagnotta, citing “well-placed league sources”, is reporting the NHL’s plan is to allow players and select staff to return to their arenas and hold training camps at some point in June, with the regular-season continuing in July, followed by the start of playoffs.

“The goal, of at least both those leagues, is to finish this season in some way, shape or form. A lot of different ways to do that,” said Caldwell following yesterday’s call. “The latest that’s being discussed – and again, this is not finalized, I think the direction that both leagues are going, and things that I’m hearing – is resuming play some time this summer.”

“At least from the NHL, we’re trying to target some time in July. And when we feel that players are safe and we have enough testing and have enough ways to get back on the ice, it’s probably going to be contained at playing in four or five neutral sites.”

“When we are able to come out from the quarantine period, players are going to need time to work out,” Caldwell said.

It’s expected that teams will conduct mini-training camps in June with the balance of the regular season and the Stanley Cup Playoffs to be held in July. It’s unclear at this point where games would be played, but ESPN’s Emily Kaplan is reporting that Raleigh, Minnesota and Edmonton are all in consideration.

OK, so if I got this right...…..

31 teams X 23 players = 713 players

31 teams X 3 coaches + 2 trainers + 1 Stick boy + 1 team doctor = 217 Staff

Hockey night in Canada staff = 15

Refs 3 X 12 games 31 team ( just a number for this) = 75 Refs/Linesmen?

Games officials …...2 goal judges/1 score keeper/ maintenance staff = 50 people

So probably 1100 people coming from all over the world...............by plane

All will have to be tested, and in quarantine for the 2 weeks before training camps

and every week there after, until the playoffs are over.

Never mind transportation and hotels

All that "IF" the quarantines are over...…………...forget about fans!

This will be pay for view...……..that is my bet

PS...……….2 minutes for spitting on the ice! Yeah Right!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1

NHL is a gate driven league. How it is supposed to get revenue from limited or few fans? 

How much could it get from TV revenue? 

So four games a day in four sites? 

16 games a day until they get to 82?

Do they bother with the 82?

Do they play 78-80? 

Then go right into the playoffs? 

Would a round robin playoffs work?

Best of 3? 5?

So much to decide. Then what happens if some players get sick? Do they call off the season again? 

I want hockey back. But I want healthy players and fans too. 

• Vintage 1

First. Get everyone equal to the 72 game mark.

Final standings, to see who gets in.

Shortened schedule for playoffs:

Best of 5 series.

All 15 minute periods, of 5 on 5.

Any OT 3 on 3 (eliminates long games)

Stanley Cup 7 game series.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Best of 5 series.

I can live with that. 

7 hours ago, nux4lyfe said:

Just give the Nux the cup already.

it does kind of feel like this would be 'our year' doesn't it? :lol:

I think the logistics are very possible. It could certainly begin with everyone virus-free but man just one case tanks the whole thing. Pretty risky, but the TV revenue will be massive. I bet they go with a pay per view model for the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Best of 5 series.

The NHL needs money and every drop of revenue it can get, so I'd be surprised if we see anything other than 7 games series. We will get multiple games per day vs shorted series is my bet. 

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Best of 5 series.

I think that something like this is likely but.....

1. Some teams have played as much as 71 games and the least is 68 (Canucks 69).  All teams will have to play enough to get their timing back etc but I agree that playing all 82 may not be necessary.  76 maybe?  Maybe they have a couple of "pre-season" games.....
  2. I'm not sure about changing the length of periods.

One thing that I wonder about coming back is whether some players or staff don't clear the quarantine.  Could you imagine the chances of the Oilers without McDavid or the Lighning without Jon Cooper?  They're probably going to try to award a cup in 6 weeks of play so if a player doesn't clear quarantine are they done or do they still get a chance to come back?  There are lots of questions.

Pay per view?  Can they even think about this because they have TV contracts already.

• Cheers 1

Best of 5 series.

Hairy,  the more Hockey Season can push into the Baseball Season is a gift from the Gods !   

... given the the overall situation, perhaps it’s better to wait as long as they can to finish the 19-20 season, 

and have a shortened “off season” (4 week ? ),  before starting the 20-22 season.

OF course, Science and common sense  leading any decisions.

i can see that training and practices before anything starts should be mandatory for at least 3 weeks.. I’m sure that would allow management to deal with player and personnel itineraries..

but the thought of all of those needs being met is to realize the incredible endeavour in itself.

The league is right to think of it as the end of season and playoffs being showcased as a “Giant Hockey Town” or it’s own DisneyLand,

but even then,  3-4- or 5 games a day on one sheet of ice ?

If it happens,  There will be at least **** 4 asterisks besides this Cup win,   hiding the favourite cuss word of anyone’s choice.

• Cheers 1

I think it is agreed that playoffs can't be started right away. The remaining 'regular season' could be the tune up that the players need. The regular season can go to 74-76 games so all teams get a few games under their belt before the playoffs. OT games could be 5 on 5 for OT1, 4 on 4 for OT2, 3 on 3 for OT3. If there was ever a time to experiment with the OT playoffs structure to avoid 4OT games this is the time.

I also like the idea of a play in wild card series (best of 3 or 5) with the 7th-10th place team in each conference. This gives bubble teams a chance to determine their own fate. I think the regular season needs to closed out in some way (either play in series or 74ish games) to make things cleaner for conditional picks etc.

Best of 5 series.

This makes sense but I would like to see every team get to 75 game mark. Some teams have already played 71 games and it won't be fair for them to enter the playoffs after playing just 1 real game especially if playoffs are shortened to 5 games. Getting at least 4 (exhibition) games for playoff bound teams would help them get ready for the playoffs and for those that are fighting for a playoff spot, having more games to play gives each team a fair chance to make up grounds.