The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An abundance of options: Canucks to have fully-healthy roster for play-in series versus Minnesota

Rate this topic

dank.sinatra

We might not really even know how good the Canucks really are.......and that’s a good thing:

The Canucks will enter the post season at almost 100% health (missing Leivo).   I am of the opinion that we might catch Minnesota and some other teams off guard.

1) Pettersson and Toffoli on one line, with Horvat and Boeser on another.    The Canucks played most of this season past season without Horvat having a playmate.   This will now change.

2) Ferland on the 3rd line.   If Ferland is healthy (big IF obviously), the entire dynamic of our 3rd line changes.   The Canucks would now have a legit 3rd line that can provide the necessary auxiliary scoring.

Call me a homer or call me biased, but this Canucks team, at full health, might catch some teams off guard.

• Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

We might not really even know how good the Canucks really are.......and that’s a good thing:

The Canucks will enter the post season at almost 100% health (missing Leivo).   I am of the opinion that we might catch Minnesota and some other teams off guard.

1) Pettersson and Toffoli on one line, with Horvat and Boeser on another.    The Canucks played most of this season past season without Horvat having a playmate.   This will now change.

2) Ferland on the 3rd line.   If Ferland is healthy (big IF obviously), the entire dynamic of our 3rd line changes.   The Canucks would now have a legit 3rd line that can provide the necessary auxiliary scoring.

Call me a homer or call me biased, but this Canucks team, at full health, might catch some teams off guard.

Hey Homer Biased Homer, (you said to)

you are correct, however that could be said about every team at this point

with 8 series coming up,

I am willing bet to 2 go three, 4 go four and 2 make it to five

any team could win 3 or any team could lose 3

the thing about the Canucks having a big roster is that it is good for a long run with injuries, 

but they need to ice the best team for a short series or it could be all over before they get to use all that depth.

We might have a 2015 Ferland in Zack MacEwen but if he gets burried behind 2020 Ferland he might never get a chance to play.

This will be a big test for Green

the great thing about the Judd Bracket thread, is it has taken the heat off Green.

I hope he has been learning motivational speeches while he has been away

Look at that expanded roster, so many guys that were called up but never got a sniff

If Boucher, Sven , Mac or even Goldie play their way onto the team , they should play,

The same for Brezzy or Sautner, if they outplay Benn and Fanta, they should be on the opening roster, and play more than 3 minutes

Two inexperienced coaches going at it in a short series, that will be one of the story lines 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, lmm said:

Hey Homer Biased Homer, (you said to)

you are correct, however that could be said about every team at this point

with 8 series coming up,

I am willing bet to 2 go three, 4 go four and 2 make it to five

any team could win 3 or any team could lose 3

the thing about the Canucks having a big roster is that it is good for a long run with injuries, 

but they need to ice the best team for a short series or it could be all over before they get to use all that depth.

We might have a 2015 Ferland in Zack MacEwen but if he gets burried behind 2020 Ferland he might never get a chance to play.

This will be a big test for Green

the great thing about the Judd Bracket thread, is it has taken the heat off Green.

I hope he has been learning motivational speeches while he has been away

Look at that expanded roster, so many guys that were called up but never got a sniff

If Boucher, Sven , Mac or even Goldie play their way onto the team , they should play,

The same for Brezzy or Sautner, if they outplay Benn and Fanta, they should be on the opening roster, and play more than 3 minutes

Two inexperienced coaches going at it in a short series, that will be one of the story lines 

All good points, but keep in mind our Toffoli trade.   We never really got to see how good the Canucks really were because as soon as we traded for Toffoli, Markstrom got injured a game later or so (and Brock was already gone).     With Toffoli and Markstrom here, the Canucks defeated the Bruins 9-2! (Or 9-3?  I can’t remember).    

We were also without Ferland for most of the season and so who knows what a healthy Ferland can do, and if he can summon his inner 2015 younger self.

• Huggy Bear 1

We really do have at least 1 extra NHL quality winger. 2 if you count LE.

Miller Petersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Virtanen Sutter Gaudette

Roussel Beagle Ferland

Motte, LE, BigMac as extras.

I really would like to play Motte. He goes in if Roussel doesn't play like he can.

On 6/9/2020 at 11:24 PM, kloubek said:

We really do have at least 1 extra NHL quality winger. 2 if you count LE.

Miller Petersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Virtanen Sutter Gaudette

Roussel Beagle Ferland

Motte, LE, BigMac as extras.

I really would like to play Motte. He goes in if Roussel doesn't play like he can.

Mottes penalty killing ability and forecheck will be to valuable in a series against Minny for him to sit.

Hes in for either Ferland, Roussel, or Gaudette. Training camp would decide that.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Mottes penalty killing ability and forecheck will be to valuable in a series against Minny for him to sit.

Hes in for either Ferland, Roussel, or Gaudette. Training camp would decide that.

I agree. But IF Ferland is 100%, we can't afford NOT to have him in the lineup. Gaudette is too valuable to not put in the lineup as well, so I figure it is between Roussel and Motte. Roussel can be a very effective player when he is on, but if he looks in training camp like he did since he came back from injury, Motte is the clear choice.

5 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I agree. But IF Ferland is 100%, we can't afford NOT to have him in the lineup. Gaudette is too valuable to not put in the lineup as well, so I figure it is between Roussel and Motte. Roussel can be a very effective player when he is on, but if he looks in training camp like he did since he came back from injury, Motte is the clear choice.

Was Ferland even playing when we were top of the standings in Pacific? I think he's going to have to prove himself that we need him in that capacity given his concussion history this year. Truth is, we don't know what Ferland we have. It could be the Ferland we signed or it could be only part of the Ferland we signed. We don't know.

48 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Was Ferland even playing when we were top of the standings in Pacific? I think he's going to have to prove himself that we need him in that capacity given his concussion history this year. Truth is, we don't know what Ferland we have. It could be the Ferland we signed or it could be only part of the Ferland we signed. We don't know.

Absolutely true. When I said Ferland is a no-brainer, I should have said he is a no-brainer IF he plays to his ability. He didn't do a heck of a lot for us while he was healthy but you could still a glimmer of his old game here and there. Between rust and uncertainty of his limitations, he will be in tough to prove himself in camp. But IF he is the Ferland of old (or even anywhere close to it), he is the kind of player who can really make a difference in a playoff series.

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

Absolutely true. When I said Ferland is a no-brainer, I should have said he is a no-brainer IF he plays to his ability. He didn't do a heck of a lot for us while he was healthy but you could still a glimmer of his old game here and there. Between rust and uncertainty of his limitations, he will be in tough to prove himself in camp. But IF he is the Ferland of old (or even anywhere close to it), he is the kind of player who can really make a difference in a playoff series.

One can hope anyway.

Unfortunately, I kind of picture him like I did Booth. We has flashes of his former self when he was here as well. Unfortunately, that's all they were: flashes.

Here's to hoping that's not the case for Ferland. I'd never wish these kinds of struggles on anyone.

• Huggy Bear 1

I wouldn't play Ferland unless absolutely necessary in the play in series against Minny. He's only played 14 games this year. He's going to need to break in slowly. It's a toss up but I think I'd rather have a heathy Rooster in the line up.

The bottom 6 is going to have to prove their worth. We could potentially have the most expensive bottom six playing in the league. 

Ferland 3.5m  Sutter 3.3m Eriksson 6m

Roussel 3m  Beagle 3m Baertschi3.3m

That's like 22 million in cap space, some of these guys may never touch the ice in the playoffs. 

• Cheers 3

On 6/11/2020 at 5:07 PM, DS4quality said:

I wouldn't play Ferland unless absolutely necessary in the play in series against Minny. He's only played 14 games this year. He's going to need to break in slowly. It's a toss up but I think I'd rather have a heathy Rooster in the line up.

The bottom 6 is going to have to prove their worth. We could potentially have the most expensive bottom six playing in the league. 

Ferland 3.5m  Sutter 3.3m Eriksson 6m

Roussel 3m  Beagle 3m Baertschi3.3m

That's like 22 million in cap space, some of these guys may never touch the ice in the playoffs. 

everyone has, basically, had a full off season.  No one has an advantage based on games played, missed etc.

9 hours ago, stawns said:

everyone has, basically, had a full off season.  No one has an advantage based on games played, missed etc.

Yes, the only players who have an advantage are those who had better workout venues available to them during the Covid shutdown.

On 6/9/2020 at 7:58 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

I'm also of the opinion that we can catch teams off guard.

Horvat has been itching to get back in the playoffs ever since his rookie season. Now, he'll be playing with either Toffoli or Boeser, along with Pearson. He was drafted for his clutch factor, and I think we will see this big time in the postseason.

Pettersson was absolutely insane in the 2017-18 SHL playoffs, having one of the best runs ever for a player, let alone a rookie. He was the youngest player to ever be awarded SHL Playoff MVP, and the first to be voted unanimously. If he shows the same type of dominance, we could go on a deep run.

And guys like Tanev, Edler, and Markstrom are healthy. That's huge.  I'm not as optimistic about Ferland as you are, but if he is indeed healthy, and has his legs under him, our third line could be really dangerous. Ferland and Virtanen on the wings would be scary to face. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

If Ferland's healthy:

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Toffoli

Ferland, Sutter, Virtanen

Roussel, Beagle, Motte

Gaudette, MacEwan, Bailey, Eriksson, Jasek etc... Spares

Physical play will be a big factor in this series.

With that bottom 6 if we hit them hard and fast we could definitely take advantage of an older rusty team like Minny.

Making Suters life miserable will be priority number 1. He’s the key to their team IMO.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Physical play will be a big factor in this series.

With that bottom 6 if we hit them hard and fast we could definitely take advantage of an older rusty team like Minny.

Making Suters life miserable will be priority number 1. He’s the key to their team IMO.

Rusty team? we'll be in the same game shape as them. Gonna be a great short series. I agree, hit them lots, hit them hard, hit them fast

14 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Rusty team? we'll be in the same game shape as them. Gonna be a great short series. I agree, hit them lots, hit them hard, hit them fast

Ask any vet and they’ll tell you advantage goes to younger players in short series and especially early in the season.

Theres a reason why older teams like Minny typically take half the season to get rolling. Canucks used to be the same way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

LOL.  Wise guy.  I am serious.  With a healthy team, we do have all the right ingredients for the STANLEY cup:  Top two lines with elite scorers, a gritty and dangerous two-way third line, a great checking line, strength on the draw, upper tier pp and pk, experience mixed with youthful energy, an MVP quality goalie, a mobile defense that can both defend and attack, and last but not least... depth throughout the lineup.