The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Canucks vs Jets, Bubble Hockey Edition (Exhibition), July 29th @ 7:30pm PST, Sportsnet

Rate this topic

The boys played well, Marky isnt to blame. I wouldnt say it was better goaltending that won the exhibition game. Shots through traffic is what won the game. Marky didnt have much of a chance on the three goals he was in for, two shots through traffic, one was in a high danger area and the other was through a sea of bodies. Ehlers put home a Laine rebound.

We caused lots of turnovers and mopped up in the face offs. Had some good chances of our own, just didnt capitalize. Anyhoo its onto the play-in round now. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

The announcer's last night even referred to Horvat's line playing  the Jets first line as "best on best"...but we have 2 "best" lines and our 3rd line is going to be scoring some goals as well.

We just need to shake off the curse of the "Millionaires" ....calling the first hockey team in Vancouver that name might be the reason for 50 years of bad luck....

If it had been the Ditchdiggers we would have won the cup by now...!!!

Considering the Millionaires won the Stanley Cup I doubt that’s why. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

The entire camp thing is blown out of proportion imo. 

Demko outplayed marky...

Beagle outplayed petey...

Remember when shirokov outplayed the entire team?

Shirokov didn’t only have to beat the likes of LE for a roster spot though.  The spot is there for Jake but even now, he has to earn that spot.  Won’t be just given to him.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

3 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Knowledgeable fans know that defence wins cups, when it gets to crunch times it boils down to d in today’s nhl 

this is not the Gretzky-Kurri nhl anymore 

D wins championships....which includes stellar goaltending 

Yeah I’m pertaining to our roster . Our d is garbage mostly.

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I could do without the fake crowd noise.

Sports is real, this situation, no fans, is real and it is compelling.  NHL has to keep this real.  I hated the fake fan noise on the broadcast last night.  This is an opportunity for fans to hear the sounds of the game itself.  

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I think Virtanen should replace Sutter in the line-up next game.

Except we would have to drop 2 forwards, as we were allowed extras for the exhibition game.  So Sutter might go anyway, although I think it will be Mac that gets axed.  Green loves his veterans.

MacEwan played some center in Utica,  but I can't see him replacing either Beagle or Sutter.  Good option for Gaudette's line though as he can take some pressure off Gaud's abysmal face off record

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 1

I love the pumped in noise....it feels too weird without it.  It adds to the intensity of the broadcast for me and I feel they have it right. 

I expected it to be overkill, but it's not.  It's used pretty sparingly, which is a good thing.

To each his/her own I guess.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Sports is real, this situation, no fans, is real and it is compelling.  NHL has to keep this real.  I hated the fake fan noise on the broadcast last night.  This is an opportunity for fans to hear the sounds of the game itself.  

Strange - I listened for, but can't say I was aware of the piped-in crowd noise

• Upvote 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I love the pumped in noise....it feels too weird without it.  It adds to the intensity of the broadcast for me and I feel they have it right. 

I expected it to be overkill, but it's not.  It's used pretty sparingly, which is a good thing.

To each his/her own I guess.

I don't think people watched the earlier games that had no audio added. It was pretty weird you couldn't even tell someone scored a lot of the time. 

• Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

We need to drive the net if we want to win, especially against a good goalie. Didn't see too much of that last night. Lots of chances, but mostly perimeter play. If we get messy in front of their goalie and make Minny's defense work real hard, we have a great chance to win.

So true.  Mix it up a bit.

I mean, the one goal we did get was a very greasy goal...those count on the scoreboard every bit as much as the snipes.  

I saw Bo get in there a few times.  He's going to be a great captain for us.

• Upvote 1

IMO, Troy Stecher is the weakest link on D. He got caught up ice and out of position - again - and it cost them a goal. This happens too often. I know he works hard and really gives his all, but I think he's a liability. Markstrom needs and deserves better D in front of him. This is an area the Canucks need to improve (defensively) if they want to do anything in the playoffs. Quinn Hughes also gets out of position on occasion and may give up the puck once in a while, but Stecher is no Hughes, and Hughes has Tanev as a responsible D partner. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Am I the only one who thinks Jake being on the outside looking in right now might have something to do with his going to Celebrities right before rejoining the team?

Maybe a little bit - combined with again not coming in conditioned enough to make it harder on guys like Ferland taking his spot.   Ferland game is designed for the playoffs which didn’t make it easier for him either.   I trust that TG knows how to push his buttons - JVs career might have been saved because of TG’s tough love.   Bet he’s going to come in with a chip on his shoulder when he does slot in, and the team will be better for it. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe a little bit - combined with again not coming in conditioned enough to make it harder on guys like Ferland taking his spot.   Ferland game is designed for the playoffs which didn’t make it easier for him either.   I trust that TG knows how to push his buttons - JVs career might have been saved because of TG’s tough love.   Bet he’s going to come in with a chip on his shoulder when he does slot in, and the team will be better for it. 

Someone earlier had mentioned that Travis is playing games with Jake but it's more likely a matter of making Jake accountable and it works.  He IS doing well and so, perhaps, Travis knows exactly what he's doing with him.

He needs a fire lit at times and will likely fire him up more than "damage" him.

• Cheers 1