The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buying a new TV is 4K worth dropping 4K?!

Bruce Boudreau

So I need a new TV mainly for watching sports. 

Last on I had was a Samsung lasted over 10 years. Color is totally screwed now.

Want a bigger size to use in the main room.

What is the best brands and TV's you guys like for all your sports watching?

Most of the time this TV will be used to watch regular free over the air cable stuff without 4K specific content.

It has to be really good at upscaling crap picture quality coming from the cable box and be able to keep up to the action without lagging.

Is the picture quality that much better than regular 1080HD with 4K when most TV channels still only broadcast in standard definition with only HD for sports channels?

I think only Sportsnet and TSN even have a 4K channel.

My father-in-law has a 4k capable TV, but as you said the channels are extremely limited.

Bottom line, he said he would never have paid the regular price for a 4k tv (he got a deal for his TV and paid the same as a regular HD tv so that's why he got it). 

So no, imo, just wait it out until 4K is the standard (which it isn't now). 

Do you play any video games on beefy consoles (PS4Pro / Xbox equivalent) - or will you be chasing the PS5 / Xbox equivalent?

That's about it for native 4k aside from *some* streaming services. I do not know if the Sportsnet is capable of 4k streaming. I will say their PS4 app is a Steaming Pile of as far as streaming goes.

If you're answering "no" to this stuff, just get a regular cheap HDTV and hang on another 5-6 years with it until they decide what direction they're actually going, and save the $700 and go on a nice holiday when this covid stuff is over.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

OLED is the bomb!   

samsung has QLED...it is a good compromise if on a budget....55" qled at costco for 889 right now.

Heard some good things about OLED do you have a LG? What about the burn in? Are you not concerned about that becoming an issue? Also does it still look good in brighter rooms where sunlight seeps through the windows?

How does it handle reflection and glare? Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

I bought a samsung 55 inch 4k smart tv around christmas of 2018. got it on sale was around 800$ after tax if I remember right. I am happy with it.

That sounds like a steal of a deal less than 1K for a 4K TV? Nice.

5 minutes ago, brownky said:

Do you play any video games on beefy consoles (PS4Pro / Xbox equivalent) - or will you be chasing the PS5 / Xbox equivalent?

That's about it for native 4k aside from *some* streaming services. I do not know if the Sportsnet is capable of 4k streaming. I will say their PS4 app is a Steaming Pile of as far as streaming goes.

If you're answering "no" to this stuff, just get a regular cheap HDTV and hang on another 5-6 years with it until they decide what direction they're actually going, and save the $700 and go on a nice holiday when this covid stuff is over.

Yeah that sounds pretty reasonable. The problem is my current TV always seems to have issues right when I am watching a big game. Switched to Telus Optik and the 4K box has some issues at times running with this TV.

Right now the color is so messed up literally it is all bright green and unwatchable. You would get a headache to try watching it. Lol.

Ideally would hold off on making a purchase like this until it is more of a want than a need.

Then again NBA and NHL playoffs are winding down.

NFL is on and soccer is already back.

Don't know if I could go another 2-3 months.

I need a big screen to watch. Tablets, computer screens, and phones just don't cut it when you are sitting at home especially for sports.

Tried watching MNF on my tablet last night  eyes got tired and viewing position was too awkward. 

4 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

So I need a new TV mainly for watching sports. 

Last on I had was a Samsung lasted over 10 years. Color is totally screwed now.

Want a bigger size to use in the main room.

What is the best brands and TV's you guys like for all your sports watching?

Most of the time this TV will be used to watch regular free over the air cable stuff without 4K specific content.

It has to be really good at upscaling crap picture quality coming from the cable box and be able to keep up to the action without lagging.

Is the picture quality that much better than regular 1080HD with 4K when most TV channels still only broadcast in standard definition with only HD for sports channels?

I think only Sportsnet and TSN even have a 4K channel.

Wait till boxing day/black friday. You'll get a way better one for 4k if you want to spend that much.

Eff no lol.  

5 hours ago, Chicken. said:

The most I would spend on a TV is $1500-$2000 

Hold off until Black Friday if you can

https://blog.bestbuy.ca/tv-audio/choosing-the-right-tv-for-your-home-hd-4k-or-8k?icmp=seo_blackfriday_blog_tv 

or if you want to splurge I found this on bestbuy website :lol:

image.thumb.png.7db032f093a0b444d7738b5728d8befe.png

As if 17 people have bought that lol.  

There’s no way you need to spend 4K on a tv. 

that said, technology is a slippery slope, so what counts is what matters to you. Go see a few side by side, and judge by the difference you can see. 

im an audio guy... so those ‘home stereo in a box’ things are just crap to me. I have to shell out for the gear because I hear the difference. 

I think everyone sees (excuse the pun) these things differently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Dude Abides said:

that said, technology is a slippery slope, so what counts is what matters to you. Go see a few side by side, and judge by the difference you can see. 

im an audio guy... so those ‘home stereo in a box’ things are just crap to me. I have to shell out for the gear because I hear the difference. 

HTIB are crap especially because of the lack of upgrading ability.  One speaker craps out and you need an entire new system.  Plus those "subs" are a joke.  At least there's no clear rip off like those with TVs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Dude Abides said:

Of all technologies i feel TV's are the slowest moving because of the cable companies. Most cable companies only have a couple 4K channels and some still have none. That being said if you waited 10 years to upgrade your TV I would definitively get a 4K TV this time. I feel they will be making that slow transition to 4K main channels with the 1080p backup channels in the next 10 years, similar to what they have now with 1080p main and std def backups.