The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Evan McEneny has been awarded the Ian Anderson Award as Utica's most improved player.

And good for him....seriously.

He came here in drafted by Gillis regime right?

This gives hope to guys like Olsen, Neill, Brisbois etc.....

If this kids takes the next step to Canucks then it's another one of those "found money" pick-ups that are so valuable

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My gut says that Evan McEney cracks the Canucks roster out of training camp this Fall. He became Travis Green's go to guy in Utica this past season and he was pretty solid during his 1 NHL game last year. It's looking more and more like Sbisa will be the guy we lose in the expansion and with Tryamkin having bolted back to the KHL and Biega not needing to be stashed on the NHL roster to make sure he didn't get claimed on waivers/guarantee his expansion eligibility... I feel like there's real opportunity this fall for a guy like McEneny to make the Canucks roster.

Worst case scenario, he becomes to the go to call up for Travis next season.

Still, he had a pretty remarkable rise last season and I hope he continues that trajectory next season too.

He really had to work to earn Green's confidence too. Got cut by Green early in 15-16 and sent to the ECHL, then was in and out of the lineup to start 16-17... eventually it became obvious he was outperforming a lot of his peers and by the end of the year he was on first unit PP, getting regular PK shifts, logging a ton of ice time. He reminds me of Stecher the way he can hold the line in the offensive zone, he's so composed with the puck. I think having Green as the coach in Vancouver definitely gives him a leg up because Green already knows what McEneny can do and knows that he's the type of player who'll work his tail off to improve. He'll be a fight with Pedan and Juolevi to make the roster for sure; each brings an interesting skill set to the table so it'll be fun to see that play out.

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:26 PM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

He really had to work to earn Green's confidence too. Got cut by Green early in 15-16 and sent to the ECHL, then was in and out of the lineup to start 16-17... eventually it became obvious he was outperforming a lot of his peers and by the end of the year he was on first unit PP, getting regular PK shifts, logging a ton of ice time. He reminds me of Stecher the way he can hold the line in the offensive zone, he's so composed with the puck. I think having Green as the coach in Vancouver definitely gives him a leg up because Green already knows what McEneny can do and knows that he's the type of player who'll work his tail off to improve. He'll be a fight with Pedan and Juolevi to make the roster for sure; each brings an interesting skill set to the table so it'll be fun to see that play out.

I don't see it. We all know that Green has never developed any AHL/NHL talent. :huh::huh: Actually hoping McEneny and Subban get some NHL games this year.

14 hours ago, ColeTr11 said:

Lets hope for his sake he doesnt model himself after present day edler

In Penticton, last fall, he kept catching my eye. NHL body and solid positional play. A decent point shot. He caught my eye more than Joulevi did and I am not being negative towards Joulevi in the comment. He could have been a bit more physical.

He looked solid in his first and only game with the Canucks this year.

On 2017-05-08 at 1:32 PM, Boudrias said:

I don't see it. We all know that Green has never developed any AHL/NHL talent. :huh::huh: Actually hoping McEneny and Subban get some NHL games this year.

... Perhaps that talent "train" was halted at the destination point.

Didn't he have a bad injury in junior and as a result didn't get drafted.  He then just worked his butt off to get to where he is now.  I think he was thought of quite highly before his injury.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

Didn't he have a bad injury in junior and as a result didn't get drafted.  He then just worked his butt off to get to where he is now.  I think he was thought of quite highly before his injury.

Yeah, he blew out his ACL after like one or two games of his draft season. As a 17yo, he'd been talked about as a future top-60 pick. Then he went undrafted because the injury scared teams off. Gillis regime development camp invite and signing and the rest is history.

• Upvote 1

McEneny looks pretty promising, but there doesn't seem to be room for both him and OJ on the Canucks blue line. Because I don't think the NHL allows 2 defensemen on the same team to wear the same number. Makes it too difficult for the play by play guys. :lol:

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...