The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Hope he gets to play with Burrows and whoever (Sutter or Horvat) at center. Burr is the gritty veteran we need Shinkaruk to become, he's got it in him, with a bit of skill as well. Burrows has been a fantastic playmaker since leaving the top line and I think he'd look great setting up Shinkaruk for shots. They've got similar speed as well, and whoevers at center can be the big bodied net presence, whether it be Sutter or Horvat. That's a line destined for success, hopefully we see it against Montreal.

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Shinkaruk - Sutter - Burrows

Baertschi - Horvat - Higgins

Dorsett - McCann - Virtanen

Lets go.

Good luck to Hunter Shinkaruk tonight.  He is an easy guy to root for.  You'll get 100% out of him every shift and he has a ton of enthusiasm for the game.  His offensive creativity has actually been tamped down since he has been in Utica but his effectiveness and D is way up this year from where he was when he got here.   He used to carry the puck a lot more and wasn't so good off the puck.  Now he is awesome off the puck and plays a lot simpler.  

I wonder if WD shouldn't stabilize the lines a little bit.  All this messing around with the lines seems to have left people confused and the chemistry is getting lost.  

Hopefully Marky gets the nod tonight.  Miller doesn't seem quite as fresh as he was at the start of the season.  And with the D banged up maybe it is better to let Marky take what will likely be a 40 plus shot night against.  

He wasn't winning many battles out there. Hard to play a guy who's not doing anything better than your other players really.

Love Shinky, but he needs to get stronger still. Trying to win battles with his upper body instead of using his legs and core form the looks of it. I'm no expert though.

Benching, scratching and playing our kids on the 4th line isn't what I would call the best development path. I'd rather the Virtanen and Shinkaruk types of prospects playing 20 minutes a game in the top 6 on the top PP gaining confidence in their offensive abilities. I don't think playing them on the 4th line with grinders for 8 minutes a game is helpful to their development. I get it Virtanen would have to go to the dub it sucks but I'd rather him go there play 20 minutes a game, be the guy and put up a very nice PPG and gain tones of confidence in his abilities. Rather then continually getting benched in the NHL and never getting more than 10 minutes a game. Like what do you expect him to accomplish in a game. You are only hurting his development. Sure he is happy he's in the NHL but how do you think he feels playing 9 minutes every game?

Benching, scratching and playing our kids on the 4th line isn't what I would call the best development path. I'd rather the Virtanen and Shinkaruk types of prospects playing 20 minutes a game in the top 6 on the top PP gaining confidence in their offensive abilities. I don't think playing them on the 4th line with grinders for 8 minutes a game is helpful to their development. I get it Virtanen would have to go to the dub it sucks but I'd rather him go there play 20 minutes a game, be the guy and put up a very nice PPG and gain tones of confidence in his abilities. Rather then continually getting benched in the NHL and never getting more than 10 minutes a game. Like what do you expect him to accomplish in a game. You are only hurting his development. Sure he is happy he's in the NHL but how do you think he feels playing 9 minutes every game?

I agree. that being said I feel the coach is playing these players to fail. Torts misused the Sedins and their 40 point season spoke volumes. And we expect better from our young offensive prospects. Shinkaruk was set up to fail tonight.

20 hours ago, cory40 said:

I agree. that being said I feel the coach is playing these players to fail. Torts misused the Sedins and their 40 point season spoke volumes. And we expect better from our young offensive prospects. Shinkaruk was set up to fail tonight.

lol Are you wearing a tin foil hat while saying this? Come on, WD's not playing these players to fail. WD's playing these players to give them NHL experience and because they've played to get a spot in the lineup. They're learning how to play in the NHL as a result.

You people sometimes just plain amuse me with these "Chicken Little" remarks. Have faith. They'll learn.

I'm starting to remember why I don't usually read CDC during the season.

22 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Send Virtanen and Shink down bring in Gaunce and Grenier. Both are more suited for these bottom 6 checking roles.

Virtanen can't be sent down I believe as he's over his 9 games here and would be in the CHL otherwise. He's with us all season.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Virtanen can't be sent down I believe as he's over his 9 games here and would be in the CHL otherwise. He's with us all season.

Actually, he can be sent to jr, as Draisaitl was after 37 games last season.  The only effect of being over 9 games is that he burns a year off his entry level contract instead of it sliding for the year.

I believe if he is sent to jr this season he can't come back until his jr team is done, but I don't know what the source of that rule, if it exists, is.

I'm not arguing Virtanen should be sent down, merely noting it isn't correct to say he can't be.

Shinkaruk only played one game and it was a tough one by everyone, but I thought he was playing far too safe, not making plays and dumping the puck in when he had it. Whether that's a coaching staff's decision or his own, it didn't make him look great. Would like to see more games though, because the kid's got some top-end skill that we need to unleash better, similar to Baertschi.

So far, of the few games they've played, I think Gaunce has outplayed Virtanen and Shinkaruk and deserves that ice-time more.

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

lol Are you wearing a tin foil hat while saying this? Come on, WD's not playing these players to fail. WD's playing these players to give them NHL experience and because they've played to get a spot in the lineup. They're learning how to play in the NHL as a result.

You people sometimes just plain amuse me with these "Chicken Little" remarks. Have faith. They'll learn.

I'm starting to remember why I don't usually read CDC during the season.

Actually Virtanen's got till the teams 40th game that's when the team will decide if he's staying or going back to the WHL. After the teams 40th game this season it will burn a year of restricted free agency n that might be pretty important in a few years. Elliot Freedman was talkinging about this like 3/4 weeks ago on hnic. 

This also aplys to Mcann but I don't think he's going anywhere lol. 

Edit: was only replying to the bottom of your quote.

Just now, Yukoncanuck87 said:

Actually Virtanen's got till the teams 40th game that's when the team will decide if he's staying or going back to the WHL. After the teams 40th game this season it will burn a year of restricted free agency n that might be pretty important in a few years. Elliot Freedman was talkinging about this like 3/4 weeks ago on hnic. 

This also aplys to Mcann but I don't think he's going anywhere lol. 

Edit: was only replying to the bottom of your quote.

If this is true then send him down, I haven't seen much from him so far. Front page shows what type of player he is suppose to be instead we see a player who trys to be a Prust and a player who refuses to use his speed to drive the net or even show his release! I don't care if he's 19, start showing some skill Jake or go back to junior and re group, we have enough grinders on this team eg higgins.

Archived