The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)Jensen has a soft ‘J’, but that’s all that’s soft-It's Yensen

naslund.is.king

http://www.leaderpost.com/touch/story.html?id=8883655

PENTICTON — Vancouver hockey fans should know that Niklas Jensen pronounces his name with a soft J, not the hard North American version the club announced that the fellow wished to be called a couple of seasons ago.

We asked because there’s a good chance everyone will be using it a lot more in the very near future, because the guy looks a whole lot better than he did when he played the two games in the NHL he did last season.

And when you look at how this team will function this season, the centre position will either be won by a Bo Horvat or Brendan Gaunce or, much more likely, the team will have to get one through a deal using the remaining $2 million plus cap space. But the wing is a different story.

On paper you might say all the spots are spoken for and there won’t be one open for Jensen. And that’s entirely the way it’s likely to start, with the 202-pound Danish winger in Utica biding his time. But he certainly shouldn’t lose heart, but rather he should be considering who the people are in front of him.

Presuming he’s healthy enough to drag himself away from hunting to actually play a little hockey at some point this season, David Booth will be one of them. So will the infection king Chris Higgins. There will be injuries this season and it’s entirely likely Jensen will be the first call up as soon as somebody goes down.

So it’s a very good thing for the organization that he’s bigger this year and a whole lot quicker, at least that’s the preliminary prognosis on his game at the moment.

“It was part of my summer practice to work on the speed a little bit,” says Jensen, now in his third year in the organization.

“I think it’s part of getting stronger and bigger and older too. You kind of develop everything in your game and it’s what I’ve been working on over the summer.

He knows full well coach John Tortorella is very receptive to bringing in young guys to a team and has done it successfully in the past. The trick is to make sure you’re in the right position when that opportunity comes.

“It’s great for everyone in here, it’s what you want to hear,” says Jensen, “but I mean everyone is fighting for that one spot on the team. So it’s about showing hard work and showing that you want to be that young guy and don’t let anybody get in front of you. Right now it’s a team game, but at the end we’re all competing for the same spot, so you want to show your best every time you’re on the ice.”

He certainly showed well in the first two games, but it’s how he shows against the veterans at main camp that will really determine how the coaching staff views him in the depth chart. But he feels last season, even though he only got two games in the NHL, really helped.

“I’ve had a full summer now since last time, but I’m happy to have had that chance, I think it really helped me out a lot and kind of helped me on what to expect the next time it happens. Even though it was just two games, it was good for me to get the experience. Playing with the twins was something I’ll never forget. First game and you play with them, and you’ve been watching them since you were a little kid. They’re such nice guys on and off the ice, they helped me out a lot and getting a chance to play with them was pretty neat.”

Jensen appears to have tried to tailor his training this summer from that experience and the results appear to have been a real step forward, but more will be known at main camp and likely an exhibition game or two.

And his name? Well, he says he succumbed to the fact everyone was calling him Jensen (instead of the correct pronunciation ‘Yen-sen’) and told the team to announce he’s okay with the hard J sound last year.

“But my name has always been pronounced with the soft J growing up.”

Yensen it is

Jensen will probably end up playing 40-60 games. I have him slotted into my lineup to start the season anyway:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Hansen - Schroeder - Higgins

Jensen - Richardson - Ferriero

With Booth injured and possibly un-able to start the season, Jensen will be on our 3rd line with Hansen, could develop some serious chemistry with the fellow Dane and young guy Schroeder and that line could work really well. They've got youth, Hansen-Schroeder have good speed, and all have a unique role on that line. Hansen is the grinder and net presence (honestly the best screener on the Canucks team), Schroeder is the playmaker and Jensen is the sniper. That line will work wonders.

Jensen will probably end up playing 40-60 games. I have him slotted into my lineup to start the season anyway:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

With Booth injured and possibly un-able to start the season, Jensen will be on our 3rd line with Hansen, could develop some serious chemistry with the fellow Dane and young guy Schroeder and that line could work really well. They've got youth, Hansen-Schroeder have good speed, and all have a unique role on that line. Hansen is the grinder and net presence (honestly the best screener on the Canucks team), Schroeder is the playmaker and Jensen is the sniper. That line will work wonders.

Jensen, it's all about getting his game to translate to the pro's. I can see him really benefiting from top line minuets in Utica and then getting the call up when the time comes for a top 9 role. He has looked really good at this tourny, but this is not NHL hockey... His work ethic has been really good, and has showed top end skill. I can see him getting a top 9 role after an injury and playing well enough to stick.

I love our depth with Jensen in the lineup though. He needs to be at about .7 ppg in the AHL for me to say he's ready for a top 9 role for sure. Pretty well rounded game, but we got him for his offense :)

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

in NHL 13 maybe.

Jensen on the 4th line is just plain stupidity, he's not a 4th line talent and he won't learn anything playing 6 minutes a game.

as for your "uniqueness" on the 3rd line - when exactly did schroeder prove he can put up points in the NHL?, let alone be considered a 'playmaker' on the third line of a contending team? if anything Jensen should get a shot at the 3rd line role to start the season.... and 3rd line centre is up in the air as far as im concerned.

anyhow enough about the midget schroeder... jensen has looked quite good so far and i hope he gets a serious look. i expect he'll start the season (especially if booth doesnt) and i guess its all in his hands from there.

If there are no more signings before the season starts, I have a feeling that Jensen will be the one rookie who stays in Vancouver, at least until Booth is fully fit.

I also can't see Schroeder being sent to Utica - he will almost certainly be picked up on waivers.

This year's training camp and pre - season games will be particularly interesting, because there are so many players going to be battling for only a few places on the roster.

It's a pity that so many of the prospects who don't start the season here will have to go back to junior and will be lost for the season, with no opportunity to be called up for a few games.

It will be an interesting few weeks!

Soo much wrong with what you said :picard:

1. Schroeder has a 1 way contract now, so I am, pretty sure Gillis thinks he can contribute in the NHL. Not to mention, he played the 3rd line center role pretty well last year for a rookie. In a full season (his rookie year again), he was on pace for ~25 pts (for a full season) and was even +/-. Those are numbers pretty close to Hodgson and he plays a MUCH better 2 way game.

2. He simply needs to work on his faceoffs and get more comfortable and that should happen this year. Moreover, given his size, he's actually better suited for the 2c role but given our depth at 1 and 2 won't get that chance.

3. Jensen is not a center, he is a winger, so suggesting Jensen should get a shot at the third line role shows you are confused.

just because you don't 'like' schroeder doesn't mean he isn't talented and capable. The points he put up, many of them were great plays/highlight real type points, great passes, great shots, that is talent. Like any 22 yr old, he now needs to take the next step to show he can be a regular, dependable player.

You need to learn a bit about hockey.

Archived