The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Interesting the near-equivalency of #1 and #2, then almost a full category drop to #3. A really big drop from #5 to #6, and from there a plateau to #14 before continuing down. Looks fairly indiciative of the projections this year -- a top-5 then group of 10 or so that could be interchangeable.

If anyone is interested...TSN 30 minute mock draft special Craig Button had Vancouver selecting Jake Virtanen at 6th overall

Button is an idiot half his picks were " well he lives around there" his dad played for the team" his favorite player was doughty " his brother is best friends with a guy from there"

Tallon was just on TSN and said in order for him to move the pick he was a good young player that can step in and make and impact right now. He'd also like a pick coming back as well. 70% chance he doesn't move it

Shinkaruk doesn't fit that want at all, all just rumours to create buzz.

Well, it's a bit more of a stretch since Shink hasn't played an NHL game yet, but not out of the realm of possibility they think he could fit in right away if not very soon. I don't know if Jensen holds enough value for them to go with the 6th, but maybe he does since it's either our pick or the Islanders they're coveting really. They only have so many trade partners they'd consider if they want the 8th or better pick, so it's similar to a player with an NTC limiting his trade options to a handful of teams.

Ekblad has been the consensus #1 overall for months. So the Canucks selecting Reinhart with that expensively-acquired pick (he's a 4th overall pick) would look pretty damn bad.

But I guess if the plan is to help Luongo and the Panthers win a cup sooner rather than later, it's all good.

Maybe favoured but "consensus #1 overall for months" is very strong. Bennett and Reinhart have been very much in the running, and the comments of a number of scouts and GMs have echoed that there isn't a consensus #1 pick.

To similarly say Reinhart is definitively a 4th overall pick is incorrect as well. Maybe Buffalo and Edmonton might prefer different players, but that's speculation at this point and has no bearing on whether or not Reinhart is 1st or 4th based strictly on value. I understand if teams aren't just picking BPA and are letting their own factors determine who they pick, but that's no reason to think we can somehow trade to 4th and get who we want - or that Calgary wouldn't want us to pay more since they'd like Reinhart too and make the trade value basically equal (to a divisional rival no less).

If we keep the 6th, there's a 75% chance we pick Viranten. Benning has already stated he wants more BC players in the Canucks system. Also, it's not like Viranten isn't a good prospect, hell he might even become the best player out of everyone. He has very key tools that should basically guarantee NHL success. Size, tremendous speed, a hard shot, high hockey IQ, grit. This comes in one package which you don't see very often. Personally i thought he should have done much better in the WHL, than what he did, but he can have tremendous success in the NHL if he can be consistent, and also have a drive so that he can play all out every game, and his inspiration should come from playing for his hometown team.

Not suggesting that we take him at 6th overall, but why do so many people think Perlini is a bust?

I thought Perilini looked pretty good, and I would personally draft him ahead of Ritchie.

Ritchie WILL NOT be an impact NHL'er.... Perilini dosn't look as dominat as Ritchie at the Jr. Level, but he looks like he has a higher compete level with very similar skills at this time and will develop into a better Pro...just my opinion.

If we keep the 6th, there's a 75% chance we pick Viranten. Benning has already stated he wants more BC players in the Canucks system. Also, it's not like Viranten isn't a good prospect, hell he might even become the best player out of everyone. He has very key tools that should basically guarantee NHL success. Size, tremendous speed, a hard shot, high hockey IQ, grit. This comes in one package which you don't see very often. Personally i thought he should have done much better in the WHL, than what he did, but he can have tremendous success in the NHL if he can be consistent, and also have a drive so that he can play all out every game, and his inspiration should come from playing for his hometown team.

also would like to add that he has the best assets (compared to the others ranked in the same range) to compete in the pacific division.

also would like to add that he has the best assets (compared to the others ranked in the same range) to compete in the pacific division.

Voracek and Virtanen is a great comparison. They have similar size, both have tremendous speed, both have good shots, and both are gritty and like to lay the body.

So wouldn't you guys want want Voracek on the Canucks?

Voracek and Virtanen is a great comparison. They have similar size, both have tremendous speed, both have good shots, and both are gritty and like to lay the body.

Virtanen is one-dimensional offensively, Voracek is not.

It isn't high, it's below average.

Voracek >>>>>>> Virtanen

Voracek has the offensive awareness and playmaking ability that Virtanen doesn't possess. Virtanen is much more of a finisher and crash-the-net goalscorer than anything, although I'm not even sure he surpasses Voracek in that department.

I find virtanen kind of vanilla, he gets the job done but hes boring

please kindly explain.

this is just my perspective on the research i've done on Virtannan alone, I've never seen him play before, seen the highlite packages, (youtube scouting) hfboards.com feedbacks. scouting reports.

He can skate, he has the speed, he plays physical, very physical, and can score goals. His goal ratio was a little off.

HOWEVER he was team Canada's best player at the U17. So take it for what it's worth. He did it on a bad shoulder.

Hard hitting, hard shooting, hard skating winger, fast skating winger, how is that boring? In fact, he might be quite a treat to watch.

Ritchie WILL NOT be an impact NHL'er.... Perilini dosn't look as dominat as Ritchie at the Jr. Level, but he looks like he has a higher compete level with very similar skills at this time and will develop into a better Pro...just my opinion.

While your at it, please give me the lotto max numbers for this Friday. The only thing Perlini has that Ritchie doesn't have is speed. Ritchie is better then Perlini at virtually every aspect of the game.

Not suggesting that we take him at 6th overall, but why do so many people think Perlini is a bust?

6th is too high for Perlini. I don't think he's a bust though, he sounds like a James Neal. Has a good combination of size and speed, but not overall very physical. At one point I thought we were gonna finish 10th, and if we did, we be talking Perlini, McAnn, or Fleury with the 10th pick.

it, please give me the lotto max numbers for this Friday. The only thing Perlini has that Ritchie doesn't have is speed. Ritchie is better then Perlini at virtually every aspect of the game.

6th is too high for Perlini. I don't think he's a bust though, he sounds like a James Neal. Has a good combination of size and speed, but not overall very physical. At one point I thought we were gonna finish 10th, and if we did, we be talking Perlini, McAnn, or Fleury with the 10th pick.

Really?

Perlini's hockey IQ > Ritchie's

Perlini's skating > Ritchie's

Perlini's vision > Ritchie's

Perlini's two-way game > Ritchie's

And

IMO, Perlini's shooting ability > Ritchie's

Archived