The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

FFS, Virtanen isn't some 6'6, Hunter Smith/Nick Ritchie player. He can skate, hit, shoot, and has a decent overall game. There's probably a good chance that Nylander is the more skilled of the two and puts up more points but Virtanen should be a solid top-six player that contributes every night in ways Nylander may not be able to.

David Rundblad had amazing numbers in the SHL as a late teen. How's he doing now?

all the agreement says is "Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors." it doesn't say how many games consist as a year. I think he might be AHL eligible next season... i'll have to look deeper into it.

He'll be 20 on august 17th, 2016. so AHL eligible in the 2016-17 season i believe? He was the youngest player in the draft if i remember correctly. at least the youngest of the first rounders.

I did some digging, and found the following:

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/2008/08/26/eligibility-question/

Posted on August 26, 2008 by Rich Hammond

I got an e-mail question the other day about Thomas Hickey’s AHL eligibility. Under the AHL/CHL agreement, a player must be either 20 years old or have played four years of junior hockey in order to be eligible to play in the AHL. Hickey has played three full years of junior hockey, plus five games in 2004-05. I’m told that does NOT make him eligible for the AHL under its agreement with the CHL. A player must play 25 games in order to have officially “played” a CHL season. (sorry about the typo earlier). So if Hickey doesn’t make the Kings, he will go back to Seattle of the Western Hockey League.

Now, that's a post from over 6 years ago, so something could have changed, but it's unlikely, in addition to this individual referencing an agreement between the CHL and the AHL where no such agreement exists, it's between the CHL and the NHL. I also saw this, from the same thread on HFBoards that gave me the link to the above quote:

A full season varies from team to team. The league provides a standard players contract which each team will modify to fit their means. For example: the Chilliwack Bruins constitute a season (meaning a full year of CIS Scholarship) for one game played during the season.

I can't find any official information pertaining to the CHL, as no CBA exists to define items like this for CHL players (who are not currently unionized).

I also came across some articles depicting rather unscrupulous activities by the Major Junior leagues, and brings up the age old question of player compensation... owners of Major Junior teams are reaping massive profits by way of selling player rights in terms of name, likeness etc to video game companies among other things, while paying only paltry stipends, sometimes as low as $70 dollars per week.

Seems that everywhere you turn, people are taking advantage of, and making money off the backs of players as young as 16-20, some who may and likely never will even get a sniff from NHL teams.

Edited by shadowgoon

Virtanen was a mission statement pick, if you will. When they made the selection, JB was basically saying "these are the type of guys we will build around going forward". Canucks need more size, sure. But look at Utica. Our big/skilled players aren't NHL ready yet. It takes time.

Is Utica full of big skilled guys? Who will have a good shot at being career NHL'ers...

Jensen is considered a PF or PF prospect. But he's definitely bent on the skill side. Not a guy known for playing heavy. Probably does not rank as similar to the statement guy Benning might be trying to illustrate that you speak of. Just Gaunce really?

- quantifying Fox (K-Wings), Archibald, Grenier,Mallet (K-Wings) Lain and Zalewski from possible to extremely fringe in terms of chance of making it.

- Tryamkin and Cederholm (strictly my opinion) both are big guys with a decent shot on D. The Russian more so. But neither are playing in Utica.

How come Cederholm, a Euro, was not assigned to Utica btw?

Is Utica full of big skilled guys? Who will have a good shot at being career NHL'ers...

Jensen is considered a PF or PF prospect. But he's definitely bent on the skill side. Not a guy known for playing heavy. Probably does not rank as similar to the statement guy Benning might be trying to illustrate that you speak of. Just Gaunce really?

- quantifying Fox (K-Wings), Archibald, Grenier,Mallet (K-Wings) Lain and Zalewski from possible to extremely fringe in terms of chance of making it.

- Tryamkin and Cederholm (strictly my opinion) both are big guys with a decent shot on D. The Russian more so. But neither are playing in Utica.

How come Cederholm, a Euro, was not assigned to Utica btw?

I don't think there was much room in Utica for Cederholm. Also, there's a good program down in Portland so he can take some time, learning and solidifying his game

He'll be 20 on august 17th, 2016. so AHL eligible in the 2016-17 season i believe? He was the youngest player in the draft if i remember correctly. at least the youngest of the first rounders.

Adrian Kempe, LA's 1st round pick, was born 2 days before the cutoff of September 15th. His birthday is September 13th, 1996.

I would say Ritchie is more meaner, like that kid finishes every check and nails you. He intimidates the crap out of other players, during the SSS the Russian player noticed Ritchie was coming at him so he avoided the hit but didn't move the puck much, Ritchie picked it up went to the high slot and shot, rebound to Domi scores. Ritchie is more of a compliment player to a skilled player because Ritchie can get open and shoot the puck well and finish well.

Virtanen is physical and I liked how he doesn't back down, Russian player tried to get him out of the way after the whistle infront of the goalie and Virtanen stared right into him and didn't move a bit. Virtanen can drive a line, he can zip down the wing and fire a slapper for a goal. He can forecheck hard and plays a fast game, but can find holes in the defence and once he gets open he can fire a quick shot or one-timer for a goal.

I love these type of players, I'd like Horvat to centre these 2 big players. You can tell we are going with a fast, physical and big team team. The kids Benning drafted are big and/or physical, Pettit, Tryamkin, Stewart, McCann, Virtanen.

I'm a little worried about him to be honest, not exactly dominating right now. He has the raw tools but there is no gaurentee he can put them all together. While nylander is leading the SHL in points per game at the age of 18 and looking to be a bonafide superstar in the making. I know virtanen is coming off surgery but has to find a way to get going or he might not even be on the world junior team.

I'm a little worried about him to be honest, not exactly dominating right now. He has the raw tools but there is no gaurentee he can put them all together. While nylander is leading the SHL in points per game at the age of 18 and looking to be a bonafide superstar in the making. I know virtanen is coming off surgery but has to find a way to get going or he might not even be on the world junior team.

Ah, the magic word.

As far as Virtanen is concerned, the guy is just 11 games (half of what his peers have already played) back from his rehabilitation and never had a training camp or a summer to train. I would be shocked, if anything, if he was dominating already. This pace throughout the entire season isn't ideal but right now it's still pretty early.

It's hard not to mention nylanders name since he was in the same draft range and the only other players I could find that scored close to a point per game in Their draft +1 year in the SHL in the history of Swedish draft picks were naslund who was the only one I could find to do so and the Sedins who were close...Virtanen could turn out to be a great pick he just needs to get his development back on track.

It's hard not to mention nylanders name

Actually, it's really easy.

Accept that Canucks drafted Virtanenen, accept that he's coming off shoulder surgery with no summer training, no training camp and not able to play during the early parts of the season and stop fixating on some guy you wanted more.

Seriously. It's not hard at all. If you're a fan of Nylander, then follow Nylander, but he has nothing to do with Virtanen. They aren't connected. Does someone writing about Devin Setoguchi find it necessary to mention Kopitar? Is is necessary when discussing the play of Marc Staal to refer to Martin Hanzal?

I would say Ritchie is more meaner, like that kid finishes every check and nails you. He intimidates the crap out of other players, during the SSS the Russian player noticed Ritchie was coming at him so he avoided the hit but didn't move the puck much, Ritchie picked it up went to the high slot and shot, rebound to Domi scores. Ritchie is more of a compliment player to a skilled player because Ritchie can get open and shoot the puck well and finish well.

Virtanen is physical and I liked how he doesn't back down, Russian player tried to get him out of the way after the whistle infront of the goalie and Virtanen stared right into him and didn't move a bit. Virtanen can drive a line, he can zip down the wing and fire a slapper for a goal. He can forecheck hard and plays a fast game, but can find holes in the defence and once he gets open he can fire a quick shot or one-timer for a goal.

No question Ritchie is mean. However, Virtanen in conconsistent when it comes to physicality.

I watched Ritchie a lot last year (wanted him over Virtanen) and he was only physical when he was angry or felt like it. Sorta like Kassian.

Virtanen hits whenever he gets the chance.