The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

If you're expecting 6 goals in his first 9 games, you're going to be disappointed imo.

If be thrilled if he can get 3 points in those 9 games. Even that's pretty optimistic.

Yeah, considering he got 1 assist in 10 AHL playoff games, I'd be happy with 3 points. Just needs to focus on defense in order to impress willie.

Well, I had Horvat as a lock to make the team by this time last year.

I have Virtanen at 50/50 only because of the general feeling that Benning wants him on the team.

I have Jake at 80% for getting some or all of his 9 game try out in this season. Score 6 goals, get 6 hits and he's in.

Many people had Horvat as a lock last year but many weren't sure how he would perform with the bigger and faster game. The same is said with Virtanen this year where everything points to him being on the team but we're not sure how well he will perform.

Also, 6 goals in 9 games is incredibly unrealistic for any player so obviously if he scores that many he will stay. He will just need to show that he can handle the pace and play the role he's given rather relied on to score. Scoring can come later.

Edited by Karlsson`s Flo

I have Virtanen at 50/50 only because of the general feeling that Benning wants him on the team.

I have Jake at 80% for getting some or all of his 9 game try out in this season. Score 6 goals, get 6 hits and he's in.

So who is your "just watch" this season? If not Jake then is it Bo again, and if so, your projection?

Yeah, considering he got 1 assist in 10 AHL playoff games, I'd be happy with 3 points. Just needs to focus on defense in order to impress willie.

Horvat had zero in five.

Virtanen will not be expected to put up points, same as how they brought in Horvat. Bo just adjusted then elevated his game so quickly the production started coming. Jake is much more likely to play a "safe" north-south game this year, up and down his wing. Plenty of time for the offense to come around.

I don't think he will make the team. First, Benning has zero room for him and if he did make room he will end up getting fleeced in another trade. Second, Virtanen still doesn't know how to use his line-mates well. Third, he skates in a straight line which will be easily shut down by NHL defencemen. Therefore, I just feel he needs to go work on his game in juniors for another year than go to the AHL before joining the big leagues.

If you're afraid the way he plays (ie: his "skating in straight lines") will be easily shut down by NHL dmen, how will him going back to junior help? So he can continue to exploit the poorer dmen of the CHL and cement bad habits?

I think he should probably go back to junior too, just not for that reason. But if WD sees Jake play in a way that he likes and wants to utilize through the year, I'm okay with him making the team. Hope he goes to WJC though.

Jake seems to understand that they need him to up his fitness. He has lost almost 20 lbs since joining the Comets for the playoffs. This is a good sign.

Jake has the physical play to make the team. This is not the issue. What they need to know is if he is mentally ready to play. Does he understand the game at an NHL level and does he have the emotional strength to handle the daily grind?

So who is your "just watch" this season? If not Jake then is it Bo again, and if so, your projection?

Bo's the guy to play by midway and we roll 3 lines evenly, 4 lines if they split Dorsett and Prust.

Meaning there is no 3rd line just an aging first line that plays less then Bo's by mid season and two hopefully very good 2nd lines.

That may get us back in the playoffs.

We need Virtanen and or Cassels to be good enough to make the team to make much noise in the playoffs though.

...so ....Just watch until it becomes clear what or who to just watch...

...how about...watch out... as in watch out remaining vets the kids are coming!

Horvat had zero in five.

Virtanen will not be expected to put up points, same as how they brought in Horvat. Bo just adjusted then elevated his game so quickly the production started coming. Jake is much more likely to play a "safe" north-south game this year, up and down his wing. Plenty of time for the offense to come around.

Exactly my point, he needs to worry about his defense in order to stick in willie's system. Although his game is to hit and shoot, so expecting some point production isn't far fetched. Bo, in my opinion, had less of an expectation to do so as he is a defensive centre. His game was to shutdown the opposition, and when he did so, his offense joined. Jake is a shoot first winger, so I'd be more interested in how many shots on goal and hits he has rather than worry about his points.

If benning had of known what he had in Horvat do you think he still trades for Vey?

If benning had of known what he had in Horvat do you think he still trades for Vey?

Good question, Maybe not... but honestly last year Horvat making the team was just gravy. Benning getting Vey was good insurance on if Bo couldn't actually make it full time which is good planning on a GMs point of view.

Vey still young and wasn't soooo bad, a year of good conditioning and packing more muscle and maybe he can make some noise.

Vey is certainly looking better the McKeown. Who I would have taken with that pick at the time no question. (Really hoping the same thing happens to Kylington now for Calgary lol)

Jake just needs to play like RK41 when he got his shot in the NHL. Skate fast, hit hard, forecheck forcheck forcheck, get the puck out and bury your chances when you get em. Oh and knock over Lucic.

Vey is certainly looking better the McKeown. Who I would have taken with that pick at the time no question. (Really hoping the same thing happens to Kylington now for Calgary lol)

Jake just needs to play like RK41 when he got his shot in the NHL. Skate fast, hit hard, forecheck forcheck forcheck, get the puck out and bury your chances when you get em. Oh and knock over Lucic.

Exactly!

Pretty much this. Show up, play hard and use your natural strengths to pressure, pressure, pressure.

Even if he only has one or heck, zero points after 9 games. If he's doing all that and is making progress, he'll stick and the offense will come as he gets accustomed to playing at this level.

• Upvote 1

The more I see of Virtanen, the more I am thinking his upside might be Dustin Brown. A tough, phsyical winger who can score big goals at important times. I really don't see him as a superstar. Now Boeser, on the other hand, has that which can't be taught: an unerring knack for putting the puck where the goalie isn't.

I'd take a Dustin Brown any day on my team. Jake is a much better skater & faster.

Hope Boeser is as good as you say, cause if he is he should of been a top 5 pick...never know?

• Upvote 1

I think Vey for a 2nd was an alright deal and I do think Vey will improve enough to be valuable...maybe on the wing though.

Chemistry is a fairly big thing if Vey can find some with one of the new guys the points could really start rolling in.

edit; forgot to answer the question; Yes he still trades.

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

I think if he makes it, the bottom six will look like:

Higgins - Horvat - Virtanen
Prust - Vey - Hansen

Or more likely

Higgins - Vey - Hansen
Prust - Horvat - Virtanen

Where Dorsett can slot in For Prust, Virtanen or even one of Higgins/Hansen depending on what the situation is. It's more likely that Kenins needs to be involved in the lineup if anybody starts to push Hansen or Higgins into the press box. I feel like I would really want to pair Virtanen up with a prospect centre and a vet left-winger. I would expect a few combinations before the regular season starts.

This bottom 6 is going to be tough for Willie and his staff to piece together if guys like Grenier and Gaunce are also playing their way onto the team. I feel like they might be mid-season injury add-ins that stick like Kenins. I fully expect a trade either before or during the season with intention to give someone a chance. Hell I have not heard a lot about Shinkaruk, who knows what he might do after a summer's training.

It's too bad we can't be as excited about defence quite yet.