The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

16 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Jake has never been the same since Bobby Farnham beat the crap out of him, I recall Gudbranson tweeted Farnham and told him  congratulations you beat up a teenage

Was Prust. Gudbranson was only acquired the season after.

• Cheers 3

On 3/6/2021 at 3:40 AM, -AJ- said:

Off Topic threads get longer. The US Politics thread is about 3 times the length and has been around for two fewer years. The God thread back in the day was also incredibly long and I think longer than the Virtanen thread too. 

Not surprised that the US politics thread was so long. There was this humongous pile of total BS to dissect and discuss ad nauseum. 

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

I went back to check in on that fight and I wouldn't say he beat the crap out of him.  He lost the fight but not that badly.B)

You're probably right, it should never have happened, the consequences was not good

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Jake has never been the same since Bobby Farnham beat the crap out of him, I recall Gudbranson tweeted Farnham and told him  congratulations you beat up a teenage

I seem to remember Jake tuning Forsberg and Zucker after that as well so I don’t think it changed him that much. 

• Cheers 3

24 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

I seem to remember Jake tuning Forsberg and Zucker after that as well so I don’t think it changed him that much. 

Forsberg or Zucker are not "heavies" in fact Virtanen to his credit apologised to Forsberg later, he didn't realize who it was. It's like having a fight with Petersson

On 3/6/2021 at 5:13 PM, bigbadcanucks said:

This^^^^.  I'm an old-timer who grew up watching and loving the type of game Montreal Canadiens of the 1970s and the New York Islanders of the early 80s played.  These were teams that could beat you with their skill and their fists at the same time.  The good Canucks teams in the Pat Quinn era were built like these teams.

That's why Smyl was my favorite captain ever. He played the game right. He would be like a dog on a bone, forecheck, backcheck, hit, fight, set up plays and score. He was tenacious, to say the least. That is the kind of player you build a winning team with. Even in that era, as much as Gradin was a skilled player, he was tough as nails.

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Forsberg or Zucker are not "heavies" in fact Virtanen to his credit apologised to Forsberg later, he didn't realize who it was. It's like having a fight with Petersson

Jake at 6'1" 215 lb. isn't exactly a heavy weight either.  B)

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

I’m not saying they were heavies I just don’t think that initial fight holds as much weight as you stated that’s all 

On 3/7/2021 at 12:20 PM, bree2 said:

didn't Pearson have 45 points last year, yes he has dropped off this year but so has Jake, now Jake has just a couple of good games just recently , i think we should wait have a wait and see attitude and see if Jake can keep this up, i watched Jake last night , and i was happy he is showing some confidence especially in his hitting, but he needs to go to the net like he did the other night. that was awesome!!!

Pearson is not a second liner. He played with Horvat and on the 2nd pp last season. Do you know how many times per game he skates in to the zone and with a million other options he decides to take a crappy shot right at the goalie? If he maybe had a higher iq I could see him doing better. I do not think we should resign him unless it’s for a good price and he plays the third line. We have other players that can do what Pearson does on the second line if not do better. A third line of motte Pearson and sutter will be able to shut other teams down and provide offence here and there. Jake is clearly suited for the top 6. Even then we also have hogs now and podz coming up soon too

31 minutes ago, Canucksince99 said:

Pearson is not a second liner. He played with Horvat and on the 2nd pp last season. Do you know how many times per game he skates in to the zone and with a million other options he decides to take a crappy shot right at the goalie? If he maybe had a higher iq I could see him doing better. I do not think we should resign him unless it’s for a good price and he plays the third line. We have other players that can do what Pearson does on the second line if not do better. A third line of motte Pearson and sutter will be able to shut other teams down and provide offence here and there. Jake is clearly suited for the top 6. Even then we also have hogs now and podz coming up soon too

Jake s doing no better than Pearson this season.  once Petey comes back jake will probably be back on the third line, 

Just now, bree2 said:

Jake s doing no better than Pearson this season.  once Petey comes back jake will probably be back on the third line, 

Jake would be doing a lot better if he had the same minutes on the second line as Pearson lol. That’s a fact. He’s clearly more suited for an offensive role. Pearson is not as good as all of you guys think. He just plays with Horvat and benefits from it quite a bit. Watch him play. Gets the puck, skates in by the boards, throws a floater right to the goalie or does something else stupid. Very rarely does he actually make the play that will give us the highest chance to score. He is not better than jake offensively. Forget what the stats say cause that doesn’t factor in the amount of opportunities they each get. You can literally see it when you watch every single game. 

• Like 1

Just now, Canucksince99 said:

Jake would be doing a lot better if he had the same minutes on the second line as Pearson lol. That’s a fact. He’s clearly more suited for an offensive role. Pearson is not as good as all of you guys think. He just plays with Horvat and benefits from it quite a bit. Watch him play. Gets the puck, skates in by the boards, throws a floater right to the goalie or does something else stupid. Very rarely does he actually make the play that will give us the highest chance to score. He is not better than jake offensively. Forget what the stats say cause that doesn’t factor in the amount of opportunities they each get. You can literally see it when you watch every single game. 

jake is on the second line right now, and if you checked Pearson deserved to be on the second last year and Jake didn't. lets see how he works out now. 

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

jake is on the second line right now, and if you checked Pearson deserved to be on the second last year and Jake didn't. lets see how he works out now. 

Yeah I know he is now. You talked about last year. Jake also had 18 goals last year on the third and fourth line. Obviously I hope they’re both very successful but I am positive the team would be better off if Pearson was on the third line when petey comes back instead of jake. 

2 hours ago, Canucksince99 said:

Yeah I know he is now. You talked about last year. Jake also had 18 goals last year on the third and fourth line. Obviously I hope they’re both very successful but I am positive the team would be better off if Pearson was on the third line when petey comes back instead of jake. 

Pearson should be on 3rd line 22:33 mins ????? Jake 14:38 -- No way should Pearson play 8 mins more then Jake...Tonight

Sure hope we trade Pearson at trade deadline --Maybe late 2nd or 3rd round pick...

He is UFA  only worth 1.8 -- 2.2 million - 3rd line winger.. 15-18 goals -- 35 points ---

2021 season GP 29 - G - 5 --PTS 9  ---16:10 -  avg mins  ---- 2nd Line 

Imagine if BO had good wingers ? Hoglander is going to be very good---- Podkolzin -arrives soon will play good beside Horvat

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Pearson should be on 3rd line 22:33 mins ????? Jake 14:38 -- No way should Pearson play 8 mins more then Jake...Tonight

Sure hope we trade Pearson at trade deadline --Maybe late 2nd or 3rd round pick...

He is UFA  only worth 1.8 -- 2.2 million - 3rd line winger.. 15-18 goals -- 35 points ---

2021 season GP 29 - G - 5 --PTS 9  ---16:10 -  avg mins  ---- 2nd Line 

Imagine if BO had good wingers ? Hoglander is going to be very good---- Podkolzin -arrives soon will play good beside Horvat

Finally someone that agrees with me lol. Jake should honestly be playing more than Pearson right now and Pearson should be flipped before the deadline. Jake takes his spot with ease on the left side next season. 

Lol you idiots think Virtanen is a 2nd player now.

I still see the same problems in hockey IQ the day he was drafted. The only change I have noticed recently is his effort because he is on the trade block which is good cause even if Virtanen scores 30 goals this season, trade him because it will be an outlier year. 

You always want to sell high and buy low like stonks.

Edited by grimmjaw
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Canucksince99 said:

Finally someone that agrees with me lol. Jake should honestly be playing more than Pearson right now and Pearson should be flipped before the deadline. Jake takes his spot with ease on the left side next season. 

Greener knows Jake for many, many years. There is a good reason why Greener gives Pearson more minutes per game than he hands to Jake. One reason is obvious: it's consistency. Pearson brings his game each and every night whereas Jake takes not only shifts off but also games. Greener has been given Jake top 6 opportunity countless times but Jake couldn't take advantage of it. There is a reason why Jake has been in the rumour mill over the last couple of months. Take a moment and think about it.

3 minutes ago, grimmjaw said:

Lol you idiots think Virtanen is a 2nd player now.

I still see the same problems in hockey IQ the day he was drafted. The only change I have noticed recently is his effort because he is on the trade block which is good cause even if Virtanen scores 30 goals this season, trade him because it will be an outlier year. 

You always want to sell high and buy low like stonks.

last season was an outlier year for Jake with 18 goals and 18 assists in 69 games. Offseason would have been the perfect time to trade him away. Unfortunately the Top -6 player Jake didn't show off in the playoffs whereas Pearson contributed consistently.

10 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

last season was an outlier year for Jake with 18 goals and 18 assists in 69 games. Offseason would have been the perfect time to trade him away. Unfortunately the Top -6 player Jake didn't show off in the playoffs whereas Pearson contributed consistently.

I’m being hopeful that jake can keep it up with his new found confidence. Jake has the potential to bring more offence than Pearson which is why I think we should keep him with the more offensive minded players.