Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW


avelanch
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Pearson points are way down  as are Jakes. a couple of games ago Jake got 5 hits , thats great but no sog, last night 2 sog on and one little hit. sorry but that is not 2nd line either. Pearson works hard every night and Jake is trying but he is still floating out there and wait for the puck to come to him. he needs to fight for the puck like Pearson does

If you would read the last 8 words of my first line, you would see that I was referring to what others were saying. Merely pointing out to a new poster that having a discussion instead of calling people idiots is the better way to go.

 

IMO, neither have been playing to their potential, or well enough to be a bonafide 2nd liner.

Edited by Chickenspear
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Yup, they think just because Jake had his little 2 goal game, all of a sudden "hes starting to get it now". I hope he keeps it up so we can ship Nerfgun Jake out of here and get more than just a bag of pucks

Nope.

 

He has been having a good year. He just missed his shot the other night. His positioning has been good and he has been hitting. He is playing a 200 ft game. 

But then you are one of those posters that probably thinks Gaudette is great and ready to replace Sutter. 

  • Hydration 3
  • RoughGame 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, bree2 said:

Pearson points are way down  as are Jakes. a couple of games ago Jake got 5 hits , thats great but no sog, last night 2 sog on and one little hit. sorry but that is not 2nd line either. Pearson works hard every night and Jake is trying but he is still floating out there and wait for the puck to come to him. he needs to fight for the puck like Pearson does

You are not watching enough games

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Gaudette bumps onto the 2nd line and all of a sudden scores a clutch goal, not to mention a nice chance he had set up in the slot where he could have scored. Meanwhile, it doesn't matter where Jake goes, he sucks the offensive life out of the line.

 

He needs to play consistently on a 3rd line with some north-south forwards. I thought Miller and Boeser would be good linemates for him but they're just too fast and good and Virtanen loses puck possession too much. The times he's played with Pettersson they've both let each other down - Petey doesn't maintain possession well and Virtanen isn't good enough to get it back or get into a decent scoring spot.

 

I think leave Virtanen with Sutter on the 3rd line and rotate their winger, someone who has some offensive flair would be ideal like Motte.

I usually like your opinion but miller and bb6 too fast? Lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/9/2021 at 5:23 PM, filthycanuck said:

LOL probably the reason why you're wrong. Jake was given every oppurtunity to succeed the last 6 seasons playing up and down the line up. Jake had ONE dominant game, big woop, before that the guy has been invisible

That's the problem. When he had his point/goal streak last year (according to most people here), guess which lines he played on? He was top 6, i think he even had like a 5/6 goal streak. And then once his goal streak ended, he got demoted back to third line and then he started struggling. I mean it's quite disheartening. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hasn't generated much offensively, but you can see the confidence in his game. He is making some really good decisions with and without the puck, and is playing a committed 200 foot game. Who knows perhaps, he may be the long term fit beside Bo, plays a very similar style.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jake's been playing well with good energy and skating well, but he just doesn't have the offensive IQ and skills to be in any team's top-6 unfortunately. I think it's time he tried to change his game to suit a bottom-6 checking role - play better defensively, use the skating to play well on the PK, throw the body more and don't worry about scoring because it's not happening anyway.

 

I fear if he doesn't and just keeps trying to be the top-line speedy scoring winger (that he used to be in junior) that he isn't, he's going to end up out of the team and rightly so because we have other forwards who deserve those minutes coming through who will be able to score. He's getting yet another chance in our top-6 due to injuries right now and is nowhere near the puck when Bo and Pearson have a scoring chance.

 

Gaudette is worse defensively and positionally than Virtanen but I think has more offensive IQ, better hands and a better shot so would like to see these two guys swapped. No idea why Gaudette is in a checking role because he sucks at it, but he brings much more offence than Virtanen does.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Jake's been playing well with good energy and skating well, but he just doesn't have the offensive IQ and skills to be in any team's top-6 unfortunately. I think it's time he tried to change his game to suit a bottom-6 checking role - play better defensively, use the skating to play well on the PK, throw the body more and don't worry about scoring because it's not happening anyway.

 

I fear if he doesn't and just keeps trying to be the top-line speedy scoring winger (that he used to be in junior) that he isn't, he's going to end up out of the team and rightly so because we have other forwards who deserve those minutes coming through who will be able to score. He's getting yet another chance in our top-6 due to injuries right now and is nowhere near the puck when Bo and Pearson have a scoring chance.

 

Gaudette is worse defensively and positionally than Virtanen but I think has more offensive IQ, better hands and a better shot so would like to see these two guys swapped. No idea why Gaudette is in a checking role because he sucks at it, but he brings much more offence than Virtanen does.

IMO a big part of Jake’s future will be on the d-side playing a heavy game. CUP competitive teams have to have a heavy game and the Canucks are not good enough yet. Jake does have offensive upside. He has a superior shot and excellent board battle. His limitations are mental.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Boudrias said:

IMO a big part of Jake’s future will be on the d-side playing a heavy game. CUP competitive teams have to have a heavy game and the Canucks are not good enough yet. Jake does have offensive upside. He has a superior shot and excellent board battle. His limitations are mental.

And maybe a coach.

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, FaninMex said:

And maybe a coach.

For sure, you always wonder about utilization. However if it was only about his coaching then you would have though another org would have acquired him. His value moves up and down more than the stock market. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jake Virtanen vs a slightly tired McDavid. Still impressive. His IQ is actually not bad at all. Look how he protects this puck away from McDavid. Very effective.

jv18-race.gif.efba480bff6d8a827e181050c54ea593.gif

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 2
  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Jake Virtanen vs a slightly tired McDavid. Still impressive. His IQ is actually not bad at all. Look how he protects this puck away from McDavid. Very effective.

jv18-race.gif.efba480bff6d8a827e181050c54ea593.gif

I love how the haters try and call him slow :bigblush:McJebus had a slight lead and Jake still left him behind.

ps: was that slash in the hands called?

Edited by CanuckleHorse
  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, FaninMex said:

And maybe a coach.

He's playing 2nd line winger minutes at the moment, what more does he want? He's even spent lots of time with Pettersson and Boeser/Miller on the 1st line.

 

Nothing but excuses his whole career, when are people going to say enough's enough and put the blame on him as a player? I trust JB will make the right decision when the time comes, evaluate his play over the last couple of seasons and see what happens.

 

He has admitted this is a hard year on the young guys but you can see around at this point in the season, the other young guys Demko and Gaudette are starting to play much better like their old selves. Jake hasn't got much/any offence going yet which is still a concern and he's playing with Bo and Pearson...he had 13 minutes which is more than most of our bottom-6 forwards as well.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Jake Virtanen vs a slightly tired McDavid. Still impressive. His IQ is actually not bad at all. Look how he protects this puck away from McDavid. Very effective.

jv18-race.gif.efba480bff6d8a827e181050c54ea593.gif

I still think he should have stopped and thrown a reverse hit on McDavid, then continued on his breakaway! :angry:

  • Hydration 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's playing 2nd line winger minutes at the moment, what more does he want? He's even spent lots of time with Pettersson and Boeser/Miller on the 1st line.

 

Nothing but excuses his whole career, when are people going to say enough's enough and put the blame on him as a player? I trust JB will make the right decision when the time comes, evaluate his play over the last couple of seasons and see what happens.

 

He has admitted this is a hard year on the young guys but you can see around at this point in the season, the other young guys Demko and Gaudette are starting to play much better like their old selves. Jake hasn't got much/any offence going yet which is still a concern and he's playing with Bo and Pearson...he had 13 minutes which is more than most of our bottom-6 forwards as well.

You mean he has been there for 4 games, right? He has also had good chances and shot placement. Like the Ott game, got the puck at the side of the net and put it up but the goalie got up for it.

Last game against Oilers he was in a shutdown role with Horvat and Pearson and had a very good game against Mc and Drai. 

What more do you want? He has developed slowly but it has been steady.

I think he should be placed on the PP2 in Ovie's spot because of his shot and history as a goal scorer from there, but the coach has the PP1 play all the minutes.

I think if Green trusts JV to be on a line with Horvat facing the best duo in the league, then he could potentially be good on the PK too. Again, Green thinks different.

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

What more do you want? He has developed slowly but it has been steady.

He's got 3 goals in 27 games. You need to be scoring more than 1 goal every 10 games wherever you are in the line-up let alone on our 2nd and 3rd lines.

 

I compare him to Gaudette a lot because they're both similar age, similar developmental pathways but of course Virtanen was a high pick, Gaudette was a low pick, Virtanen is costing us some cap space and Gaudette is less than half his price.

 

Go figure Gaudette gets less of an opportunity than Virtanen gets gifted to him and has twice as many points in much less quality and quantity ice-time, and even by his standards he's having an average season.

 

All these shots, skating and hits are nice, I agree, he looks like he's playing well at times, but Virtanen needs to bring more. He needs to score goals and put up points, that's the bottom line. 0 assists in 27 games is also pretty telling of his general lack of offence.

  • RoughGame 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's got 3 goals in 27 games. You need to be scoring more than 1 goal every 10 games wherever you are in the line-up let alone on our 2nd and 3rd lines.

 

I compare him to Gaudette a lot because they're both similar age, similar developmental pathways but of course Virtanen was a high pick, Gaudette was a low pick, Virtanen is costing us some cap space and Gaudette is less than half his price.

 

Go figure Gaudette gets less of an opportunity than Virtanen gets gifted to him and has twice as many points in much less quality and quantity ice-time, and even by his standards he's having an average season.

 

All these shots, skating and hits are nice, I agree, he looks like he's playing well at times, but Virtanen needs to bring more. He needs to score goals and put up points, that's the bottom line. 0 assists in 27 games is also pretty telling of his general lack of offence.

You keep talking about JV getting gifted minutes but he gets bottom 6 minutes most of the time with rare PP2 opportunities. Now that he is with Horvat they are playing shutdown role. In this role he has been getting some chances but like many on this team the goals just have not been coming.

Also, in this role he is not going to get many opportunities as he is being played Defensive minutes. Again, We are watching the game totally different.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I still think he should have stopped and thrown a reverse hit on McDavid, then continued on his breakaway! :angry:

I will say one thing about JV, he definitely gets pumped up playing against McD. Probably started with that hit at the Young Stars tournament.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

You keep talking about JV getting gifted minutes but he gets bottom 6 minutes most of the time with rare PP2 opportunities. Now that he is with Horvat they are playing shutdown role. In this role he has been getting some chances but like many on this team the goals just have not been coming.

Also, in this role he is not going to get many opportunities as he is being played Defensive minutes. Again, We are watching the game totally different.

I'm not sure even defensive usage can justify 3 points in 27 games. Sutter has more points and he hasn't played a single second on the 2nd line.

  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not sure even defensive usage can justify 3 points in 27 games. Sutter has more points and he hasn't played a single second on the 2nd line.

Have you forgotten that JV was playing with Roussel and Beagle? That whole line has generated some opportunity and played well together but nothing was going in. They were also starting the majority of the time in their D zone. 

How many points are they supposed to get? Remember to that Green often will play the PP1 the full 2 minutes. Gaudette on the other hand was getting better quality minutes with better linemates despite what downunder was saying.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...