The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I just can't wait too see Virtanen dress up for the nux in a regular season game. Knowing the Virtanen era is starting!!! I'd take a pre season right now. World jrs will have to do for now tho.

Edited by Rush17

were did you hear this from?

I think they will scratch Bradyen point or Paul before Virtannen. Woulnd't make sense the scratch your most physical player.

They won't scratch Ritchie.

Anyways, I don't think Virtanen should be on a line with Gauthier, I understand them wanting to put Fabbri with McDavid, but why not try Virtanen with Domi & Duclair.

They are going to need Virtanen's shooting ability now that they cut Dal Colle.

They don't scratch players, I think the IIHF allows them to have 20 skaters on the bench, so that means no one in the pressbox. If a forward gets injured you'll have 12 forwards and be able to continue rolling 4 lines.

Just something I like about the guys we have drafted lately is that they are good overall players, physical or atleast not soft and they can skate well. Sedins are great players that have magic that may not ever be seen again in hockey but I just never liked how we were known around the league as a "soft team" and the "sisters" were our best players. Sedins are sometimes pretty one-dimensional, I don't want to criticize too much but I like what guys like Virtanen, Horvat, Shinkaruk, McCann can bring to the line-up once they start hitting their primes and hopefully are in the NHL. They bring grit, speed, all-around, skilled game.

That's one thing I'm looking forward to in the future and Virtanen brings speed, skill and alot of physicality. Something I like in players, exciting players, I'm jealous of big, physical teams like LA, ANA and BOS. They were always physically dominant.

Edited by Plum

At this point, getting benched and scratched just means rest. I think Team Canada sees Virtanen as a gamebreaker for their bottom 6. He's a tournament rookie so he won't get top 6 time, but he has a history with Team Canada that precedes this tournament, and he honestly probably earned his spot on this team last year. He's a player that I think they see as affording them scoring depth, and they are going to deploy him that way. I know he's been saying that he's willing to be a role player, but to me I think they know his skill set, and they just want him to go out on the ice and play his explosive game. They're hoping they have him next year as a cornerstone in their top six.

They won't scratch Ritchie.

Anyways, I don't think Virtanen should be on a line with Gauthier, I understand them wanting to put Fabbri with McDavid, but why not try Virtanen with Domi & Duclair.

They are going to need Virtanen's shooting ability now that they cut Dal Colle.

Because Sam Reinhart...

I am hoping Virtanen plays on the 3rd line with Petan, who is another player maker.

Because Sam Reinhart...

I am hoping Virtanen plays on the 3rd line with Petan, who is another player maker.

I wouldn't mind him playing with Petan either, and two local boys to boot.

I feel like if McDavid doesn't find chemistry with Fabbri like the "old days" then Virtanen might get a chance there. McDavid is exceptional is all areas of the game and that includes speed, which surprisingly gets overlooked sometimes.

Virtanen - McDavid - Lazar seems like a line that can do everything. Correct me if I'm wrong but Virtanen has played the left side?

I wouldn't mind him playing with Petan either, and two local boys to boot.

I feel like if McDavid doesn't find chemistry with Fabbri like the "old days" then Virtanen might get a chance there. McDavid is exceptional is all areas of the game and that includes speed, which surprisingly gets overlooked sometimes.

Virtanen - McDavid - Lazar seems like a line that can do everything. Correct me if I'm wrong but Virtanen has played the left side?

Yeah I think he was an LW last year but has switched to RW this year. So he has experience there.

The only problem with that being that Team CAN is severely lacking in RWs - Reinhart, Virtanen, Lazar and Point are the only 4 that shoot right naturally (Duclair is a LHS but a RW in the sense that Virtanen was a LW last year).

Fabbri moving down likely means a LHS moving up or even Petan moving to McDavid's LW and Fabbri centering Virtanen maybe. I think because of the shortage of RWs, Virtanen will probably remain on the right side.

Of course, if Virtanen is playing lights out and we are trailing, I'm sure the coaches load up the top 6 and Virtanen could be moved to the LW if Fabbri is the one who is struggling.

Heard he may be a scratch tomorrow. Lazar and McDavid checking in. That would suck.

Source? Pretty sure your just trying to be a shi# disturber lol

He was playing really well in the first game. Barely any ice time and had a lot of energy and sandpaper. He only had one bad shift in the game , the rest were good.

Lines in practice:

Domi Reinhart Duclair

Ritchie McDavid Lazar

Petan Paul Fabbri

Crouse Gauthier Virtanen

Point

I'm gonna be honest and say that i don't know a lot about this Nick Paul guy. Him and Hicketts are probably the 2 players on team Canada that i know least about, even prior to all the cuts. Missed most of the Russia game too. But is it really worth messing up your whole 3rd line just because of him? Sure, Petan might not be your typical 3rd line center, but he's been completely dominating junior (expect for this year when Portland have been struggling). Shouldn't you keep a guy like that at center, even though he's not the biggest player? Fabbri also playing on his off-wing, and the whole line consists of lefties. You would think Virtanen would have been a fit on that line, especially with the speed and the physical game that he brings. Only practice lines, but still.

Lines in practice:

Domi Reinhart Duclair

Ritchie McDavid Lazar

Petan Paul Fabbri

Crouse Gauthier Virtanen

Point

WHAT.. There goes the McDavid-Fabbri pairing everyone's been preaching, and the 3rd line is awfully small.