The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Keep in mind, that QoT calculation uses ice time not production. So it says he played with 2nd liners on his team but you have to also realize that a second liner on the Hitmen is like a 4th liner on a lot of CHL teams. They flat out sucked. It's not often that you can pin a team making the playoffs on one guy, but with Calgary Virtanen was that guy.

I understand this, and thus was the point I was making. I didn't care for the Virtanen pick at the time...now that I do some digging into QoT compared to the guys who had 'higher offensive upside' than him, I feel good. His 5 on 5 production was pretty gaudy given his QoT, and the fact that his teammates were below average 2nd liners in the CHL. His points/60 given his TOI and teammate quality is quite impressive actually.

I don't think people are looking at the hometown factor as much as they should. Ever since he was a kid, he, like most of us, dreamed of playing for the Canucks. Now that he is so close, you can bet he is going to push himself in every which way to make that dream become a reality. Getting drafted isn't making it. It's only the beginning. The hard work is about to start and you can bet your bottom dollar this kid wants it, and wants it bad.

Thanks for this and good read.

I think you have a point.

Owen Nolan= physical/speed/size/goal scorer/shot

Jake Virtanen= physical/speed/size/goal scorer/shot

Both lacked hockey sense in their junior years and Owen Nolan's hockey sense really set him back a little.

Both put up more goals than assists

Both have skill

Both were big hitters and known for there skating

Both are really fast with those skates on and have tremendously good agility.

I see you're point.

Edited by RogerEpic5
  • Upvote 1

A lot of interesting convergences there, right down to the shoulder injury.

Hopefully the 10 x 20 goal seasons, 5 x 30+ and 2 x 40+ also stands up.

A young Owen Nolan is a hell of an exciting comparable - although those are giant shoes to grow into.

Edited by oldnews

I like this comparison just as much as the Kreider comparison that the guy above posted (except jake has a better shot) now that you mention it.

Kinda forgot about Nolan's play back then, especially since he looked like a slug with the Canucks in the 2011 preseason.

Thanks for this and good read.

I think you have a point.

Owen Nolan= physical/speed/size/goal scorer/shot

Jake Virtanen= physical/speed/size/goal scorer/shot

Both lacked hockey sense in their junior years and Owen Nolan's hockey sense really set him back a little.

Both put up more goals than assists

Both have skill

Both were big hitters and known for there skating

Both are really fast with those skates on and have tremendously good agility.

I see you're point.

Yep. Funny because I forgot about Nolan for a few years now but now that OP made this, I see a very solid comparison between the 2 and I'd say it's the best one yet. Only thing is have to hope Virtanen develops properly and pans out otherwise he'll be a bust.

I think it is realistic that out of

Horvat virtanen, shinkarurk, Mcann, Kassian, Jensen, gaunce, fox, Cassels that 4 of them become really solid top 6 guys, but I suspect we will get 5

These are all really good pickups and the Canucks have their own farm te and more resources now, I think with one elite centerman we would have the best forward prospect pool in the league

The only longshots I see out of those guys are Fox and Cassels. Any of the others wont surprise me if they are top 6 guys eventually. Mccann and Shinkaruk need to add some size and strength but I see them being 2nd liners. I see Gaunce as a top line 3rd liner though. I agree we went from perhaps the worst, to top 10 in league wide teams prospects.

great post by the Owen Nolan guy.

Watched Virtanen's highlight reel again, and can't help but feel really excited about this prospect.

This kid is going to be amazing, and so much fun to watch!

I'm excited about Virtanen as well. I'm cautious too, cause don't want to be disappointed. But if Virtanen can improve on using his linemates better, this kid's going to be a very good player for the Canucks for years to come.

I'm excited about Virtanen as well. I'm cautious too, cause don't want to be disappointed. But if Virtanen can improve on using his linemates better, this kid's going to be a very good player for the Canucks for years to come.

if his Jr. game can translate to the NHL and Jake can continue that type of play against NHl'ers, I don't care if he developed and learns to use his teammates or not...He will be the player they will have to get the puck to. He looks like he could be a real force.

he'd have to get quasi-decent linemates before he could use them better.

if his Jr. game can translate to the NHL and Jake can continue that type of play against NHl'ers, I don't care if he developed and learns to use his teammates or not...He will be the player they will have to get the puck to. He looks like he could be a real force.

let's hope so. if he develops properly, i can see him being at least a 30 goal scorer. at the very least. hoping for more in the 40 goal scorer range. but if he can use his line mates better, he'd be a beast of a player in the NHL.