The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Im a big fan of the kid, but to be honest I feel a little disappointed with his showing today. Over a dozen guys got points for Canada, and I dont think (havent studied the score sheet) he even got an assist.

Not sure how effective he is in close proximity to the net.  It seems like he is more effective scoring off of the rush or when he is charging at the net, which is hard to do when most of the game was a puck possession game in the O zone.  He seems to be about 1 second behind with his thinking of the play.  

Hopefully he can pick it up. 

7 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Im a big fan of the kid, but to be honest I feel a little disappointed with his showing today. Over a dozen guys got points for Canada, and I dont think (havent studied the score sheet) he even got an assist.

Not sure how effective he is in close proximity to the net.  It seems like he is more effective scoring off of the rush or when he is charging at the net, which is hard to do when most of the game was a puck possession game in the O zone.  He seems to be about 1 second behind with his thinking of the play.  

He wasn't as  bad as he was against the Americans which I guess is an improvement. He did have a couple good shifts but an average game in a game where his teamates had brilliant ones. 

But he's playing a 'pro game' so that's good enough. 

2 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

He needs to work on his passing, his passing is almost always a rocket pass that the player can't control.

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

1 hour ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

This kids positioning irritates me a lot. He's always behind a teammate instead of looking to find an open spot. Get to an open space and Strome will find you.

47 minutes ago, guntrix said:

So 6 different goal scorers today and 12 players with at least a point and nothing from JV? But he's playing a pro game right? :lol:

I think these are good observations and sum up the problem with Jake. First, as guntrix implies, "playing a pro game" is not an excuse at all. Jake's passing is poor, his positioning is poor, and his thinking is "behind the play" (read "does not process the game well" or not good enough "hockey IQ".) That is not a "pro game".

Like everyone else on CDC I have been hoping for Jake to do well. And I am not saying the pick was a bad decision. But, in retrospect, it looks like his big goal numbers in this draft year were largely the result of having high-skill linemates (both overagers as I recall) who could feed him the puck. He does have a great shot and great speed so he was able to get lots of shooting opportunities and take advantage of them.

But it looks increasingly like Craig Button's read on Jake was accurate -- projecting Jake as a physical high energy third liner at the NHL level.

Jake is still young of course and he could find a game that allows him to contribute successfully as a top 6 power forward at the NHL level. But right now it does not look like his game is developing in that direction.

I hope he picks up his game as WJC. He was sent to the WJC partly to rebuild his confidence. I hope it does not have the reverse effect, especially given all the media attention and his own statements about needing to be a leader on the team in terms of offence.

Edited by JamesB
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

Yeah but who knows what's really going on. Look at his WJC last year, he had zero pressure on him to perform and he was a dominant hitter and put up points as a depth player. I don't want to be the guy making excuses for him, but its true. There's much more pressure on him to score this year (being the only NHL player on the team).

Look at Lazar last year, he was in the same spot. Obviously different types of players, but I would say he was fairly underwhelming during the first half of the tournament.

Maybe Virtanen needs more time to adjust to the junior style of play? Who knows. I wouldn't go as far as saying he's a bust (as some are suggesting), but he has been absolutely underwhelming. Maybe we all had too high of expectations for the kid? I'm not sure about that either. I think he's focusing too much on producing, and he's getting in his own way.

He has a unique ability to cause turnovers with his size and speed and right now he's not using his tools to his advantage. I'm hoping he realizes (sooner than later) that he needs to continue playing the style that got him to where he his today in order to succeed. It's glaringly obvious that he's forcing himself to play differently.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I think these are good observations and sum up the problem with Jake. First, as guntrix implies, "playing a pro game" is not an excuse at all. Jake's passing is poor, his positioning is poor, and his thinking is "behind the play" (read "does not process the game well" or not good enough "hockey IQ".) That is not a "pro game".

Like everyone else on CDC I have been hoping for Jake to do well. And I am not saying the pick was a bad decision. But, in retrospect, it looks like his big goal numbers in this draft year were largely the result of having high-skill linemates (both overagers as I recall) who could feed him the puck. He does have a great shot and great speed so he was able to get lots of shooting opportunities and take advantage of them.

But it looks increasingly like Craig Button's read on Jake was accurate -- projecting Jake as a physical high energy third liner at the NHL level.

Jake is still young of course and he could find a game that allows him to contribute successfully as a top 6 power forward at the NHL level. But right now it does not look like his game is developing in that direction.

I hope he picks up his game as WJC. He was sent to the WJC partly to rebuild his confidence. I hope it does not have the reverse effect, especially given all the media attention and his own statements about needing to be a leader on the team in terms of offence.

The great thing about Button predicting something is that he has never been right about a thing, so, there is a great chance Jake goes elite. 

he is young, it will take him a while to find his game for an  nhl regular. But i have been disappointed with his tournament play. He is suppose to be one of the key guys and he seems to be in the wrong position alot of the time, he stands infront of the net and his stick is never on the ice, cant tip a low shot or accept a pass like that.

I think he is a project prospect, he probably should follow the slow transition like Ty Rattie. Rattie is finally showing good numbers in the AHL now.

I hope this pick pans out because for #6 overall we needed a almost surefire top 6 forward or top 4 D if that was available.

Benning and and everyone needs to be patient with him. I hope to see him playing for Green in Utica and hopefully he can help hone is game. 

Send him back to junior after the tourney and give Shinkaruk a look on the big club. may not play ever game but give him a legit chance to see what he can do in  a top 9 role on our team

• Upvote 1

Lol im loving all the stat scouts here !! So easy to see who the pretenders are here and who are the ones that are actually watching his development. 

Quite obvious he needs work on the Xs and Os of the game. He is definitely playing a very pro type of hockey, same reason Lazar did burn the world on fire his first games back at the world jrs last year after spending months playing in the NHL. 

Its also obvious to me that Jake is nowhere near 100%.  I don't know if it's hip or hip pointer but he isn't driving the net w. The pick which is his strength. He seems to be settling for perimeter shot. Let's not worry too much and just enjoy. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

This kids positioning irritates me a lot. He's always behind a teammate instead of looking to find an open spot. Get to an open space and Strome will find you.

Which is what Willie taught him to do and teaches everyone on the Canucks. You always support the guy in the corner, while the centre is out against the high wall. Or vice-verse the centre goes in and the winger is near by to pick up the puck.

If you watch the Canucks game you will see that. Also this is on a hybride ice so "getting open" is another 10ish feet away from the puck.

I don't like how Marner just dances his way around the ice, against higher levels of competition hes going to be flattened and become unproductive (Just like in the US game). I was watching the US/Sweden and Finland/Russia game if you are dancing around the ice someone is going to put you on your butt. I can guareentee if you see Marner and Strome trying this kind of stuff against Sweden or the others during the Quarter/Semi Finals they aren't going to have good games.

As for the uneducated group of trolls, I doubt you could even explain what a pro style of game is....

8 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Pops up on the team literally a week before the tourney, lets bash him for not being in tune with his team immediately. Spent months playing with the Canucks, under Willie.  Playing with and against men. Can't just transition back and fourth between the Junior level and the NHL level seamlessly. 

Injuried for about 2 weeks, spent one week on the WJC team before the tournament, as opposed to almost a month. Yup he should be the best player on the team.

Some people don't have a thing called reasoning

30 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Something smells funny, it's probably the small of trolls only coming into this thread when they are right and disappearing when they are wrong.

The fact that this is 607 pages long just shows you that the "trolls" are more often right than wrong and that's because Jake's play has been pretty piss-poor for most of the time. He's under the microscope and he's not performing. Nothing much else you can say. We can keep waiting for him to fully develop as long as we want and make as many excuses as we want, but right now he's simply not a very good ice hockey player and these big games are proving it.

Kids got to go back to junior, it's simple. I don't know why people had such high expectations of him offensively, he was only ever a point per game player in junior which isn't very good compared to the guys he's playing with right now.

• Upvote 2

I don't think he had a bad game at all, thought he played fairly well - had a couple very good drives to the net. Nothing to write home about but definitely not worthy of Guntrix's little amphibian tea party to celebrate him as a failure either. 

Edited by Canorth
  • Upvote 2