The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

37 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

He's far better on his off wing and I agree with most of you that he should play on the left wing if Willie lets him play there and figure it out. He's been doing well as of late and honestly it's only a matter of time till he's back in the big club. Probably next season. He needs to consistently post some points so JB can think about calling him back up again. 

I have been saying that since we drafted him and had our first look in the NHL that he should be on the LW and I do hope that Linden/Benning and Willie see this and put him there if not the coach needs a talking to

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

My old man's friend is a WHL ref and said in his roughly 12 years there's been two players that were far and away the biggest a-holes he's dealt with. Number one was none other than Evander Kane with Virt a somewhat distant second.

Yes. I heard similar things from a couple friends who do business with the WHL. They say Virtanen has a huge ego and that a lot of the players on last years WJC really disliked him. Rumours at best, but when you start hearing multiple reports it makes you think. 

49 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

Yes. I heard similar things from a couple friends who do business with the WHL. They say Virtanen has a huge ego and that a lot of the players on last years WJC really disliked him. Rumours at best, but when you start hearing multiple reports it makes you think. 

Yeah, I typically wouldn't put too much stock into rumours but hearing the first hand accounts in conjunction with those rumours makes me think. Where there's smoke there could be fire. 

That being said it doesn't really bother me as long as he's not out assaulting girls at bars or otherwise being a moron. If he's just an arrogant arse I can live with it, provided he can play hockey.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, baumerman77 said:

Not uncommon.  Someone else on here had said they went to school or such with Sam Reinhart in Cranbrook and he was the same way.  They're all kids, remember.

58 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, I typically wouldn't put too much stock into rumours but hearing the first hand accounts in conjunction with those rumours makes me think. Where there's smoke there could be fire. 

That being said it doesn't really bother me as long as he's not out assaulting girls at bars or otherwise being a moron. If he's just an arrogant arse I can live with it, provided he can play hockey.

So park that ego in front of the net. He's a 20 year old millionaire and a lot of it has come easy. Of course he's got an ego. But now he's in a position where he really has to earn it. I think he'll come out a better player and person from Utica. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

So park that ego in front of the net. He's a 20 year old millionaire and a lot of it has come easy. Of course he's got an ego. But now he's in a position where he really has to earn it. I think he'll come out a better player and person from Utica. 

I'm not saying it's a problem. I'm sure he's far from the only young professional hockey player to suffer from ego problems. As I said, as long as he's not our assaulting girls in bars, beating up cabbies, or causing problems in the room I really don't care. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I'm not saying it's a problem. I'm sure he's far from the only young professional hockey player to suffer from ego problems. As I said, as long as he's not our assaulting girls in bars, beating up cabbies, or causing problems in the room I really don't care. 

Those types of people tend to put themselves before their teams. I agree with s'all goodman. He is young so provided they keep him down there long enough he can come out of this a better player and a better person. I'd hate to see what I would have been like with a million dollars at 20 years old. Lol. 

• Upvote 2

the good news is, that this typical development growing pains for power forwards

once they aren't beating up kids in junior it takes a lot of adjusting in order to learn to play in the NMHL, unlike mother types of players the whole game goes outa the window (unless your name is Lindros) this happened to Bertuzzi, Neely, Stephens, the list is a mile long

the bad news is this development curve ended the careers on Antoski, Sandlack aet etc and equally long list