The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

26 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

Doesn't have to have those points to see his potential. He is very fast for a big guy and I've seen him rush end to end multiple times that year and I was in AWE!.. All those 2 on 1s he broke up with ease.. he is very underestimated by many imho.. he has ELITE potential

Chara didn't look that great in his early years, not even close imo. Chara was known for his size only and was traded twice before he became what he is today. No knock on Chara, he's a future HOF and rightfully so, I just believe Tryamkin has even more potential

I love Tryamin's size and strength but saying he has elite potential is a bit much no?? He is 24 years old already and wasnt he only on the 3rd pairing on his team in the khl? Or am I getting that wrong...

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I love Tryamin's size and strength but saying he has elite potential is a bit much no?? He is 24 years old already and wasnt he only on the 3rd pairing on his team in the khl? Or am I getting that wrong...

Pretty sure he was 20+ minutes per night. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Pretty sure he was 20+ minutes per night. 

Do you know if he was on the 3rd pairing? I guess I am incorrect if he was playing 20+ minutes per night. Maybe I confused it with the world championships or something...

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Do you know if he was on the 3rd pairing? I guess I am incorrect if he was playing 20+ minutes per night. Maybe I confused it with the world championships or something...

Yes, he said he was 1st pairing last season.  I would think he would be playing upwards of 25mins or more.

I think he was 3rd pairing at the WC.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Doesn't have to have those points to see his potential. He is very fast for a big guy and I've seen him rush end to end multiple times that year and I was in AWE!.. All those 2 on 1s he broke up with ease.. he is very underestimated by many imho.. he has ELITE potential

Chara didn't look that great in his early years, not even close imo. Chara was known for his size only and was traded twice before he became what he is today. No knock on Chara, he's a future HOF and rightfully so, I just believe Tryamkin has even more potential

The problem is potential doesn't mean much unless it's realized. Believing something doesn't mean it will happen. Many never reach the potential others have set for them. Currently he hasn't shown he's a better version of Chara. Thus you can't prove he is. Only time will prove it.

18 minutes ago, Baggins said:

The problem is potential doesn't mean much unless it's realized. Believing something doesn't mean it will happen. Many never reach the potential others have set for them. Currently he hasn't shown he's a better version of Chara. Thus you can't prove he is. Only time will prove it.

Other than their height, I don't see that much in common with Chara and Try; especially their path to the NHL.  Chara started his NHL career when he was 20yrs after playing in NA jrs and AHL for two years. 

The way things are looking now, is that Try will be 26yrs by the time (if) he comes to Vanc.  His game will probably be transferable to the NHL, but his entire developmental stage will have been in Russia.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Other than their height, I don't see that much in common with Chara and Try; especially their path to the NHL.  Chara started his NHL career when he was 20yrs after playing in NA jrs and AHL for two years. 

The way things are looking now, is that Try will be 26yrs by the time (if) he comes to Vanc.  His game will probably be transferable to the NHL, but his entire developmental stage will have been in Russia.

How transferable though? I think it's safe to say the KHL isn't close to the NHL. Vey was 5th in scoring this past season there. That's rather telling of the quality of the league. Try is certainly capable of playing in the NHL, as we've seen, but I don't think he helped himself going back to the K. It's virtually like a player not liking his NHL ice time and prefering to be a star in the AHL rather than truly advancing his game in the top league in the world. Big fish, small pond mentality.

This is why I say it's not a confidence issue. He has the confidence to believe he's a top pair d-man. It's a sense of entitlement and ego that's the issue. He seems to believe it should be handed to him rather than working for it and earning it here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

How transferable though? I think it's safe to say the KHL isn't close to the NHL. Vey was 5th in scoring this past season there. That's rather telling of the quality of the league. Try is certainly capable of playing in the NHL, as we've seen, but I don't think he helped himself going back to the K. It's virtually like a player not liking his NHL ice time and prefering to be a star in the AHL rather than truly advancing his game in the top league in the world. Big fish, small pond mentality.

This is why I say it's not a confidence issue. He has the confidence to believe he's a top pair d-man. It's a sense of entitlement and ego that's the issue. He seems to believe it should be handed to him rather than working for it and earning it here.

It's almost like you are saying that Vey could not be 5th in scoring in the NHL!!??  :ph34r:

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:05 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

LOL.   The longer this guy is away from actual minutes on the ice in a Canuck uniform, the more his legend grows.   The guy was a raw rookie and showed it.  He had horrible decision processes at times and was an adventure many nights.   He had/has a long way to go to be an effective NHL Dman but possess all the tools to get there IF he wants it badly enough.  He showed he can be an NHL player but not that he can be "the most valuable Dman" on any NHL team quite yet....not close.

Your just plain wrong sir. Go bury your head back in the sand. That's the kind of point of view from someone who only watches the highlights not the full game. He had a great clean break out pass, his shooting accuracy needed some work same with his skating ill give you that but what he lacked in finesse he made up for in shear physical domination, I don't know how else to put it to you. Do you need to see that Ducks game again? AND yes he IS talented he doesn't just have the tools he knows when and where to use them. Brad Richardson not withstanding. That man has a spirit that matches his size he will be the center piece on this D-core for YEARS to come, other teams will covet this player like a fycking magic lamp that grants wishes quote me.

Edited by Shirotashi
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Your just plain wrong sir. Go bury your head back in the sand. That's the kind of point of view from someone who only watches the highlights not the full game. He had a great clean break out pass, his shooting accuracy needed some work same with his skating ill give you that but what he lacked in finesse he made up for in shear physical domination, I don't know how else to put it to you. Do you need to see that Ducks game again? AND yes he IS talented he doesn't just have the tools he knows when and where to use them. Brad Richardson not withstanding. That man has a spirit that matches his size he will be the center piece on this D-core for YEARS to come, other teams will covet this player like a fycking magic lamp that grants wishes quote me.

We k, I’ll bite.  Did you watch any feed of him this past year?  He remains an adventure in his own end and often makes a hit thst is so Ill-timed that he is out of position for a goal or at least a couple of good chances.   He is, IMHO, blessed with all the tools but not yet a for sure NHL Dman.  Again, IMHO, opinions such as yours are part of his legend.   You pick a game and point to that as his consistent self.

I am curious why so many are so heavily invested in this guy?  He is an intriguing prospect but is often talked about as a top pairing lock that is currently better than the Canucks current top 4.   That simply isn’t the case from a hockey point of view.  From a cult of personality and intrigue factor, sure.

Good kid with all the tools.   Would be great to see him give the show a try again but he is far from a lock to be more than a guy who fights for 5 to 6th minutes - the potential for more is there but a lot of work has to happen to get there.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

We k, I’ll bite.  Did you watch any feed of him this past year?  He remains an adventure in his own end and often makes a hit thst is so Ill-timed that he is out of position for a goal or at least a couple of good chances.   He is, IMHO, blessed with all the tools but not yet a for sure NHL Dman.  Again, IMHO, opinions such as yours are part of his legend.   You pick a game and point to that as his consistent self.

I am curious why so many are so heavily invested in this guy?  He is an intriguing prospect but is often talked about as a top pairing lock that is currently better than the Canucks current top 4.   That simply isn’t the case from a hockey point of view.  From a cult of personality and intrigue factor, sure.

Good kid with all the tools.   Would be great to see him give the show a try again but he is far from a lock to be more than a guy who fights for 5 to 6th minutes - the potential for more is there but a lot of work has to happen to get there.

My issue with Tryamkin is that he will have lost 3 years of NHL development by going back to the KHL. If he plays out his contract there he will likely have dropped on the depth chart if he returns. IMHO the KHL is not reknown for developing solid d-men. I only saw Try playing n a couple of international games this past season. When the play ends up in the d-zone he seems to get lost a bit in his coverages, more so if the forwards are fast. 

I thought he had a decent first year with Van. Complaints about TOI did not seem legit considering he was a rookie and that his ice time improved through the year. I was more than surprised when he bolted. Did not like the stik about how Russians had to be better than others due to prejudice.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

My issue with Tryamkin is that he will have lost 3 years of NHL development by going back to the KHL. If he plays out his contract there he will likely have dropped on the depth chart if he returns. IMHO the KHL is not reknown for developing solid d-men. I only saw Try playing n a couple of international games this past season. When the play ends up in the d-zone he seems to get lost a bit in his coverages, more so if the forwards are fast. 

I thought he had a decent first year with Van. Complaints about TOI did not seem legit considering he was a rookie and that his ice time improved through the year. I was more than surprised when he bolted. Did not like the stik about how Russians had to be better than others due to prejudice.  

no argument there, but they do, desperately, need him back.  Try coming back kicks things into a higher gear, imo

• Upvote 2

By staying in a changing NHL style Tryamkin by remaining in the KHL  is making himself redundant. If he stays put in Russia he may never recover and earn another chance. He's either emotional with his choice or he's getting bad advise

20 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

By staying in a changing NHL style Tryamkin by remaining in the KHL  is making himself redundant. If he stays put in Russia he may never recover and earn another chance. He's either emotional with his choice or he's getting bad advise

Exactly what I think. 

2 years, and as I have said before, there will probably not be a place for him. 

Also if he comes back with his "I don't play in the AHL" contract in tact he damn well better be fit because Green is no different from WD, he will not play him.

Also I see Green wanting him to use his size consistently, to intimidate opposition, clear out the crease and stand up for the young boys. Can he do that consistently, I am not sure.

18 hours ago, Baggins said:

18 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Tryamkins game at 22-23 yrs is better than Charas was at the same age.  Im not talking points, which would be nothing to look at comparing both players at the same age.. im talking game.

Tryamkin IS  10 times the skater Chara was at the same age, and is presently a far better skater than Chara IS.

His hockey sense of system on D is outstanding and can shut down a cycle by simply taking 2 steps and wiping out the puck carrier, thus eliminating all potential options.

There are many hilites on you tube, even more on twitter with him making goal line to goal line rushes. Once that 265lb frame clocks up to 45-50 kph.. he is hard to stop.

A better Coach than WD , would have worked his strengths, and not preyed on his weaknesses. desjardins was selfish.

http://dai.ly/x676pzp  (coast to coast)

Edited by SilentSam

22 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

A better Coach than WD , would have worked his strengths, and not preyed on his weaknesses. desjardins was selfish.

Why would a coach want one of his rookies to be a better, more effective, player? That's just crazy talk!

:lol:

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Have  you seen the Canucks lineup on defense for the last couple of seasons? Sbisa and Del Zotto are top 4 defenders on this team. Are you saying Tryamkin is more of an adventure in his own end than those 2? Every defender is going to make mistakes, but his reach takes away a ton of time and space and his physical game is Hatcher-like.

You are correct in saying that he is still a prospect, but the degree to which he was sheltered, stifled his development. There will still be lots of opportunity for him to come back in a couple of years and prove himself on this team, with defense being the glaring weakness on this team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, canuckledraggin said:

Have  you seen the Canucks lineup on defense for the last couple of seasons? Sbisa and Del Zotto are top 4 defenders on this team. Are you saying Tryamkin is more of an adventure in his own end than those 2? Every defender is going to make mistakes, but his reach takes away a ton of time and space and his physical game is Hatcher-like.

You are correct in saying that he is still a prospect, but the degree to which he was sheltered, stifled his development. There will still be lots of opportunity for him to come back in a couple of years and prove himself on this team, with defense being the glaring weakness on this team.

Yes, I am saying Del Zotto and Sbisa are current better NHL Dmen than Tryamkin.   Does Tryamkin have the potential to get better, sure....but it isn't going to happen for him in the KHL and he will have to work his way up...including being open to AHL if that is what coaching/management think best for his development.

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Yes, I am saying Del Zotto and Sbisa are current better NHL Dmen than Tryamkin.   Does Tryamkin have the potential to get better, sure....but it isn't going to happen for him in the KHL and he will have to work his way up...including being open to AHL if that is what coaching/management think best for his development.

My point was I would have rather have seen Tryamkin developing, than either of those 2 making as many mistakes as they do. All things being equal Tryamkin does all of the same things those guys can, plus his physical game and ability to change the way attackers enter the zone is superior.

• Upvote 2