The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Dallas Sends Dillon to Sharks

Pretty obvious that Dallas wanted more mobility and offence from their backend, and they didn't think Gonchar was the solution.

Demers should help their transition game and give them some more speed.

And John Klingberg looks really good so far too.

What are you guys talking about bottom pairing dman, this guy isn't Sbisa.

Dhillons #'s are pretty much Chris Tanevs #'s. (I.e. Kids a top pairing dman. def a top 4 dman). SJS just robbed Dallas. Canucks should have done whatever they had to get him, they are in desperate need of a dman.

A top pairing D-man...with 1 point in 20 games?

Wow, this trade looks pretty decent for both sides.

San Jose's top four is probably Vlasic - Braun, Dillon - Burns which is pretty solid. Each pair has one defensive guy and one puck-mover. Stars also get a right D-man that they could use, as mentioned, along with that 3rd.

Two struggling teams making a trade that helps both of them. IMO, a very good hockey trade.

With Hammer going down with a lower body injury last night, we are definitely in need of a veteran d-man. I'm thinking Montreal would be a good trade partner, especially just having added Gonchar and Allen.

Given our needs right now, if I were JB, I would call Bergevin and offer up Burrows for Tom Gilbert. I would offer to retain $1.0M of Burrows' contract. This would allow Burrows to be a cap hit of $3.5M on Habs' books (Gilbert is at $2.8M), so net is another $700K to Habs cap hit, which keeps them cap compliant.

Between Gilbert's $2.8M and $1.0M, we carry $3.8M on our books, shedding $700K off the bottom line. Gilbert's contract expires in 2 years and Burrows' three, so this can be carried without too much hardship (plus, we should have bunch of ELC's on the roster, giving us flexibility in the final year of Burrows' contract).

This works from a cap perspective and fills a need we have. We have Linden Vey who has played well with Bonino and Higgins to step in. Horvat stays.

Nice idea, but I'd rather keep Burr and try for Hansen + 2nd. Really don't want to disrupt that 2nd line as it's been doing well. What's more, Tom's playing on the 3rd pairing and may get edged out by Bryan Allen/ Beaulieu/ Weaver on the bottom pairing anyways, so by dealing Hansen it would be spare for spare. With Hammer back we could do:

Danny - Hank - Radim
Higgins - Bones - Burr
Vey - Horvat - Kassian

Matthias - Richie - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev
Hammer - Juice
Sbisa - Gilbert
Stanton - Weber

Good trade for SJ, they got the solid DFD who skates well, reminds me of Stanton but is alot smarter with the puck, can be alot more mean and a better offensive game.

Vlasic-Burns

Dillon-Braun

They got 3 solid shutdown defencemen and Burns a physical OFD who is 2nd in scoring for defencemen.

SJ isn't playing well, losing to CBJ, BUF, FLA in the last few games.

Archived