The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[UPD] Fined 5k - So the Hansen hit on Wingels..

Tom Sestito

From the replay, and it's not easy to see I'd hope it would just be a fine. Knowing it's the Canucks. 4 games.

If he gets 4 games, that would be effed up. The main point of contact was the head, but he wasn't head-hunting the guy. It was just a slightly reckless play that has a good chance to come back and bite him on the butt.

Hopefully the NHL will see it as a borderline hit, and let it go. Doubtful, but there's a chance that could happen.

Didn't really clip him that hard but it'll be hard to defend. There's no doubt he wasn't targeting it but that's as clear as it gets. Hansen reached for it when he shouldn't have. That's the split second decisions the league would like players to get better at making, as it really could have been worse.

I'm just happy it wasn't on a star player. Hansen would be screwed.

I am not honestly sure he deserves anything.

This hit is a marginal hit at best. it looks bad but it is only fractionally late if late at all (in comparison to the Rome hit) and you can see as hansen is skating in Wingles is already turning and putting himself at a vulnerable position

In direct comparison

The 2 hits to Matthias weren't sniffed at

Bartkowski wasn't even given a fine

Nash got another fine for yet another incident

The Malkin hit resulted in nothing

And those hits resulting in fines alone this year are complete jokes which by and large should have net a minimum of a game.

I won't sit here and claim hansen doesn't need to be looked at for this because the hit looks bad. BUT if the DPS is being consistent than Hansen deserves nothing for this as both parties were at fault.

Knowing how the NHL DOS reacts to this stuff, I'm guessing Hansen gets the book thrown at him. It certainly wouldn't surprise me one bit. The best part of it all is Wingels lay on the ice, none of his team mates came to check on him, and the training staff didn't come onto the ice at all. He ended up playing the power play as well.

Mattias gets a forearm in the head, and misses over a week, yet the play isn't reviewed.

He's a Canuck so 3 games minimum. Don't forget he hit a player in a southern market that is growing. No way the league lets the opportunity to show the California fans that they got their backs.

And Grimes above me...why even be here? Go to the HF boards if you want to have a fan from another team praise you for your level-headedness (ie Anti-Canuck blather). The hit was neither wreckless nor stupid. Get it together.

Well the Shark Coach wasn't real happy,

He thought Hansen should have been out of the game

Hansen puts Wingels out and gets a 2 min. penalty.

SJS power play is #2 in the league and they did nothing with it, and to top it off,

Hansens scores on a breakaway after coming out of the box! :rolleyes:

A failed power play early in the second period was a pivotal moment. Rather than bearing down to make the Canucks pay for Jannik Hansen’s hit to the head of Tommy Wingels, the Sharks allowed Hansen to step out of the box and race in on a breakaway for the game-winning goal at 3:05 of the middle frame. It increased Vancouver’s lead to 2-0.

Wingels later returned to the game (he wasn’t made available to the media afterwards), but it was still a sequence that irked McLellan.

“I didn’t like the hit, I didn’t like the fact that he came out of the box and scored the winning goal and got to play the rest of the night,” he said. “Those are breaks that can go for or against you, and it went against us tonight. That certainly wasn’t the reason why we lost.”

CATA106_Canucks_Sharks_Hockey.JPG

He's a Canuck so 3 games minimum. Don't forget he hit a player in a southern market that is growing. No way the league lets the opportunity to show the California fans that they got their backs.

And Grimes above me...why even be here? Go to the HF boards if you want to have a fan from another team praise you for your level-headedness (ie Anti-Canuck blather). The hit was neither wreckless nor stupid. Get it together.

If he gets less than 3 games will you agree that being a canuck has nothing to do with it? How confident are you in this statement? I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just curious how much you believe what you're saying. Most people here only stop mouth breathing long enough to talk.

Archived