The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roster Logjam As Trade Deadline Approaches

Junkyard Dog

I think if you can get a 2nd for Higgins then you move him this year otherwise there is little rush. The bare minimum would be a 3rd since that's what we acquired him for. The kids aren't lighting it up in Utica though they are progressing. If we need to wait until the offseason or early next year then so be it. But he certainly is one of the players that can be viewed as an attractive piece for a contender.

As well, a goalie, probably Lack, for a prospect makes sense long term.

I'd be surprised if we are able to grab the young top 6 forward we are seeking under the constraints JB has given himself, ie. not moving young players or picks. If he does break that rule it will be for a legitimate top end young player in the 23-25 age and he will want to replace some of the assets he is giving up by other deals, I think.

I think Ritchie stays, Matthias stays, and pretty much everyone else. If there is a 5th/6th to be had for Weber then that's probably a given too.

oh and for those that like to quote the oilers non drafting success, ah, let's see now, we have a blind faith in jb's ability to recognize talent and yet when it comes to building through the draft, we are p*ssing in our pants because mactavish cannot recognize talent. good one

Better get your Depends there, granpappy.

I don't know if I'd go quite that far to say every GM's looking to acquire more draft picks for this draft. You're still going to have your buyers looking to make a playoff run. If a GM based what they did entirely on 1 draft they'd likely be run out of town pretty quick.

Yes, you will have a few contenders looking to make some trades...

But how many will that be?? 2 or 3 teams?

The rest of them will be like Benning, standing pat, sticking with their roster with some minor changes. And they won't be handing out 1st or 2nd rounders for their pickups.

Yes, you will have a few contenders looking to make some trades...

But how many will that be?? 2 or 3 teams?

The rest of them will be like Benning, standing pat, sticking with their roster with some minor changes. And they won't be handing out 1st or 2nd rounders for their pickups.

It'll be more than 2 or 3 teams. Probably 10 or more actually.

It'll be whoever feels they can pull off a playoff run. That's going to be quite a few teams. lol

There is zero chance anyone will give up a 2nd rounder for Higgins this year.

I completely disagree.

A 55-60th overall pick this year is highly possible for a team that views him as a piece for the duration of his contract.

And there was nothing in my statement that precluded it being a 2016 2nd.

In the 12-13 season Corrado played 3 reg and 4 playoff games

12-13 was the strike shortened year and only 5 games (incl. playoffs) were allowed, so he burned a year in 12-13

from May5,2013

SAN JOSE — Wow, did that year ever fly by fast. Just like that, defenceman Frank Corrado has burned through the first year of his three-year entry level contract with the Vancouver Canucks.

Corrado played his sixth game with the Canucks on Sunday night and that means he now only has two years left on his contract.

He was allowed five freebies in this shortened season (including playoffs) before his contract status would be affected. The Canucks obviously like what they see and do not want to remove him from their playoff lineup.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+must+like+what+they+defenceman+Frank+Corrado/8340981/story.html#ixzz3R4tCKz3f

Corrado played ok but burning a year off his ELC when other options were available is biting us in the ass now. It would be better to have that extra year imo.

Bolded = UFA

Underlined = RFA

D Sedin - H Sedin - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows

Matthias - Richardson - Vey

Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

Kassian (13 forwards)

Kenins (AHL without waivers)

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Clendening (AHL without waivers)

Sbisa - Bieksa

Stanton

Weber (8 defensemen)

Corrado (AHL without waivers)

Miller

Lack (2 goaltenders)

= 23 man NHL roster

= what log jam?

Clendening and Corrado and Markstrom must clear waivers next season to go to the AHL, It won't happen!

We will not carry 3 goalies, 9 defencemen and 13 forwards into next year

A Goalie, Defenseman and Forward must be moved, or we lose them for nothing

Either trade deadline or draft day would be good

Lack or Markstrom

Weber RHD would have value

One of Richardson, Higgins, Kassian, Hansen, Matthias,Vey

We cannot keep everybody, 3 players must go

One person's log jam is another's long awaited depth.

If guys are tired - give them a night off and play the youth.

This team has just the right level of depth imo for comfort - I personally wouldn't start assuming there is such a push from outside the roster that it's time to start dumping veterans for picks. One injury to Richardson and the team is at the point where it's scratching inexperienced young forwards - and a few injuries on the blueline are to be expected - we've seen it year after year. This team has added imo because it needed it - I don't think the scales are tipped by any stretch of the imagination.

If I were selling, the first asset I'd consider moving would be Miller - and I'd only do that because I think they might be able to land a future and a comparable (imo) in Niemi, who's a UFA and would clear the way for the Swedes next season, while giving this team a proven veteran for this season. Otherwise, I'm not selling for the sake of selling unless someone comes calling prepared to pay healthy market value for the players some people around here seem to undervalue considerably.

It'll be more than 2 or 3 teams. Probably 10 or more actually.

It'll be whoever feels they can pull off a playoff run. That's going to be quite a few teams. lol

Yup, never know when a TDL arms race can develop.

Higgins, Hansen, even Vey all need to be moved for next season

Vey's not going anywhere, but likely to the 2nd line once he's ready.

We have to move some veterans. Benning has created a logjam on our roster by bringing in young guys. There's nothing wrong with that but he's going to have to make moves before the deadline. Benning pointed out in an interview that our older core was getting tired as the schedule went on when he acknowledged our lack of scoring and stated that younger teams fair off better in the schedule with fresher legs.

We will be sellers at the Trade Deadline not buyers.

Burrows, Higgins, Hansen are all here long term. I like Burrows but his contract is awful and if we can't get rid of him then we should move Higgins. We need Hansen's speed moving forward.

Richardson and Matthias are upcoming UFA's. Do we see these guys re-signing? If not then we should move them so we don't lose them for nothing. However I do think we should try to re-sign Matthias out of them both.

Do we see Sbisa and Weber on this roster next year? Especially with guys like Corrado, Stanton and Clendening here next year? Might as well move them before the deadline as well.

This is a very strong draft coming up and we saw what kind of guys Benning could draft with a 5th round pick. Might as well trade enough veterans to solve this logjam and stock up on some picks and prospects.

I doubt our roster takes a huge blow with these moves. In fact it could actually benefit from it with bringing in hungrier younger players like Kenins, Corrado and Clendening while also giving a player like Kassian back a regular spot.

Will be interesting to see what Benning does moving forward but one thing is certain. Moves have to be made and moving veterans make the most sense.

It was pretty obvious last night by Kassian's sullen reaction after he scored last night that he is one unhappy camper. "Giving a player like Kassian back a regular spot?" One might say you are an eternal optimist.

He needs to make such an attitude adjustment to stick with this team that I now believe it is far too late for that to come to fruition. If Benning does not trade him on or before the deadline, Kassian and Desjardins will continue to lock horns for the rest of the year and unfortunately Kassian will be the loser in it all. Right now he has no confidence, he has lost his will, he does not want to be here and I fear his relationship with the team is not good. My opinion anyway.

Yes we may put a couple of veterans on the trading block but I will bet Kassian will be traded in a package with some of those veterans to be traded just to sweeten the pot a bit.

His days are numbered in Vancouver, so I will not even comment on his point production or plus and minus play. What is the sense.

We do need to keep some veterans who still produce well and give some tutelage to the young kids, but have to balance that with getting rid of some of those useless older guys.

Either play the vets less or trade them and force our kids to play more. Jensen and Shinkaruk should be on the team next season, Jensen ideally on a third line and Shinkaruk playing a handful of games between Vamcouver and Utica.

in the perfect world, we trade Burrows, Bieksa and Higgins. Sbisa and Richardson IMO are replaceable and therefore shouldnt be resigned. Weber can go down to Utica to replace Corrado.

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Higgins - Bonino - Vey

Jensen - Matthias - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Hansen

Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Clendening

Stanton - Corrado

Ideally we get either a top four defenceman or top 6 future scorer with those veteran trades to bulk up that lineup a bit more, but with no one older than ideally 2 so that they fit with our new, evolving core.

I would like to keep sbisa. His upside is to good and quite frankly i think alot of people on this board are to hard on him.

Its my impression mathias want to stay and see no reason to trade him. He could go on to being even better than he has shown here and we could regret trading him.

if tanev wants to much money hes a big asset for us on the market and while corrado isnt as good as tanev he probably will be within a year or two.

higgins can go as well as richardson.

This is not a good year to be getting alot of assets in return for our assets. There is not a good goalie market and people arent going to want to give up picks and like the op said, the east is already determined.

I think we might get some later picks for our older guys and maybe a clendening type trades.

Clendening and Corrado and Markstrom must clear waivers next season to go to the AHL, It won't happen!

Lack or Markstrom

Good math. I agree Lack or Markstrom has to go. But I think JB might want Markstrom to finish the year in Utica given that Utica has a legitimate shot at the Calder Cup with Markstrom in goal and not otherwise. But if he gets an offer of a second round pick for Markstrom at the deadline he would probably take it. Not sure he would take a second round pick for Lack.

Not sure Weber has much value. Certainly nothing more that a 4th round pick at best.

I don't think Higgins is worth a 2nd round pick. His current slump hurts, he is into age-related decline and no longer provides as much physicality as he once did, and his cap hit is too high. 3rd round at best. I doubt if Richardson and Matthias wilth both be re-signed. The cap is a problem. Sbisa's relatively high required qualifying offer will also work against him. Maybe he could be moved for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Don't mistake wanting someone to be traded for "hate".

He's a good, veteran 3rd line LW who can help kill penalties and chip in with sporadic offense. We're literally overflowing with guys who can fill that same role with more coming up from the prospect ranks who are some mix of younger, faster, stronger and/or with potentially higher ceilings.

It's not hate, it's just time for him to go, clear some salary, a roster spot and get assets in return for what is an aging (and hence diminishing in value) asset.

Uhm, I do get the difference, chum.

I was making a reference to the actual "hate" that some posters direct to cerrtain players who are filling their role, and filling it quite nicely. Since it isn't a performance which meets some high (unrealistic?) standard set by these "fans", then the player isn't worthy of being on this team. My bad for not being a bit more specific. :)

As to trading a player, I've been pretty open about my feelings on trades. If a player can be traded to better the team then such a trade should be considered. This being said, I believe that most people who post about trades are reacting on an emotional level rather than having a more logical position. They don't consider all the angles (eg. caphit, contract length, player ages etc) and don't have a full evaluation on the assets being discussed. What did the out-going player bring to the team, and how much will that be missed? What does the incoming asset(s) bring to the team?

Some of the proposed trades are just plain ol' stoopid.

I would be in favour of trading Higgins if the return was worth it, but you aren't getting just a 3rd (or a 2nd) from moving Higgins. You will also get a contract and some cap back (good on JB if he can avoid this). Most folks tend to glide over that part when discussing such a trade.

And who takes Higgins' place on the 2nd or 3rd line for the rest of the season (and beyond)? Some say Matthias could be that LW, but there is no certainty that he will re-sign here so expecting him to be the guy to take Higgins' place is a risky move. Some suggest that Jensen or Kenins is that guy. Maybe one of them is in the future, but is he that guy right now? The NHL sample size of their performance is pretty small. Some will suggest Shinkaruk, and maybe he can, but I'm still thinking he won't be ready by next year, or maybe even the year after (I'd be happy if he proved me wrong).

So, if none of these guys looked like they could make it for next season, perhaps you are stuck going out and finding a UFA LW who can provide 15+ goals a season while being defensively sound (which is what Higgins has been doing in his time here). What have you gained in caphit (if anything)? How does that affect the team's plans?

I would also support a trade of Kassian if the return was disgustingly large. Just putting that out there. I do believe it would be a stoopid thing to do, but a disgustingly large overpayment by another team would take some of the sting out of it.

Some folks don't consider that players other than just those who are currently in the doghouse will have to be moved out. Burrows, Higgins and Hansen are some of the usual suspects, but some of the more popular guys are the ones more likely to be traded, such as Matthias, Dorsett and Richardson (yes, he's injured). Their ability, low caphit and the fact that they are on the last year of their current deal are all selling points in their favour to the right team.

And speaking of Matthias, Dorsett and Richardson, I'd be in favour of re-signing these guys before the trade deadline. This being said, if they are interested in exploring their options after the season is over then I'd be inclined to make that someone else's concern. If they did decide to re-sign here in July, great. Would the team need these guys for the playoffs this season? Yup. Do I want to risk losing them for nothing? Nope. And since the team is looking at bringing in guys like Jensen, Kenins, Gaunce and maybe even some of the more recent prospects, then they are going to need a spot.

I'd also be okay moving some of the guy's with NTC's (Miller, Vrbata) if the management/ownership decided to change the path of the team and actually go for a full re-build. I don't believe they signed here to be part of a re-build but rather to be part of a competitive team.

regards,

G.

Lack or Markstrom

I've explained myself so many times in this thread already - that was in response to OP's statement that we must trade veterans at the trade deadline because of a log jam.

I wasn't talking about the 2015-2016 campaign. I was talking about a month from now. We can make trades at the draft or during off-season if necessary to work around whatever perceived log jam there may be.

One person's log jam is another's long awaited depth.

If guys are tired - give them a night off and play the youth.

This team has just the right level of depth imo for comfort - I personally wouldn't start assuming there is such a push from outside the roster that it's time to start dumping veterans for picks. One injury to Richardson and the team is at the point where it's scratching inexperienced young forwards - and a few injuries on the blueline are to be expected - we've seen it year after year. This team has added imo because it needed it - I don't think the scales are tipped by any stretch of the imagination.

If I were selling, the first asset I'd consider moving would be Miller - and I'd only do that because I think they might be able to land a future and a comparable (imo) in Niemi, who's a UFA and would clear the way for the Swedes next season, while giving this team a proven veteran for this season. Otherwise, I'm not selling for the sake of selling unless someone comes calling prepared to pay healthy market value for the players some people around here seem to undervalue considerably.

I agree - even if JB does trade some veterans, I would wager that he would add just as much depth - either to as an AHL replacement for a young player who took the NHL roster, or a NHL player to make the young prospect compete for a roster spot and earn it.

Archived