The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(article) Jordan Subban sets record, Bulls beat Petes

Burlinbert

Needs to round out his defensive game before he steps foot in the NHL, so hopefully he can play a full year in Utica next year to get a feel of professional pace and size, which I think will catch him off-guard. He may be able to score goals and points, but that step up from being an overager in junior to a kid in the pros is a big one.

I'm sure Subban can do it, but it's going to take some time and maybe a couple of seasons in the AHL before he's ready defensively and physically.

doesn't he have another year of Jr left?

Even though it's ultra-rare for deals to be done between CHL Leagues (Leagues own the rights to each province and therefore players must be waived through) but a boy can dream: Rebels send D Kayle Doetzel (6-3 198lbs 1-14-15pts) to Bulls for Subban. Pair up Subban with Fleury (if he doesn't make the Hurricanes next year) and they'll be the top pairing when the Rebs host the Memorial Cup next year. C'mon Sutter try and make the deal...all I ever get to watch here is when Jake V visits with the Hitmen, and then I have to boo him out loud (even though I'm secretly cheering for him on the inside).

everybody suggesting he needs to gain weight needs to realize that he bulked up to 190-195 lbs this past offseason but wasn't comfortable playing with the added bulk.

he's as big as he's going to get.

This, I don't know why people think he's going to be 200+ pounds, he's 5'9....

His game is skill and speed, that would slow him down way too much.

This, I don't know why people think he's going to be 200+ pounds, he's 5'9....

His game is skill and speed, that would slow him down way too much.

He's not even THAT small for an offensive D. I'd hate to see the overly garish lifted truck half of CDC must be driving around compensating for... things.

Don't want to crash the party but his OHL stats don't mean much, I mean Subban passed Lalonde's record. Lalonde went on to score 13 goals in 200 AHL games and now is playing in Europe.

I hope Subban pans out but we'll see when he's a grown man

MPT = Rain on the Parade. How about some positive thinking there Eeyore?

Though any good big brother would probably say it, P.K. mentioned in an interview that he honestly thought that Jordan was the better player growing up.

Made me smile about the Canucks future a bit more than I already was.

If he ends up staying here, maybe one day we'll be able to see superstar brothers play in Vancouver all over again.

You never know!

Though any good big brother would probably say it, P.K. mentioned in an interview that he honestly thought that Jordan was the better player growing up.

Made me smile about the Canucks future a bit more than I already was.

If he ends up staying here, maybe one day we'll be able to see superstar brothers play in Vancouver all over again.

You never know!

IF p.k was the younger brother trying to make the NHL and Jordan just won a Norris I am sure jordan would say the same thing. I wouldn't put much stock into until he can translate it to this level.

IF p.k was the younger brother trying to make the NHL and Jordan just won a Norris I am sure jordan would say the same thing. I wouldn't put much stock into until he can translate it to this level.

Yeah, I would be very surprised if any of the Subban boys out-perform PK or accomplish what he has in his career so far. But they're obviously a hockey family - Malcolm is a legitimately excellent technical goaltender and was blessed with the size for it, but I'm hoping Jordan is the dark horse of the family. He's short, but I don't think PK is as successful as he is simply because he's over 6 ft. Jordan is offensively gifted, and honestly that is a far rarer trait among defensemen than size/height.

Nope not yet, but GMJB has stated on a radio interview that he will be signed.

I think likely after the trade deadline, that way we have an extra contract spot that we can use if we need to take a cap dump or do a 1 for 2 swap or something like that at the deadline.

Juniors under contract don't count towards the total, only once they go pro.

Height doesn't matter. You can be 6'7 but if you weigh 170 lbs, you'll still get pushed around easily. Jordan needs to put on some weight and get stronger. Otherwise, he'll get manhandled along the boards and will be useless in front of the net.

He put on 10lbs over his draft year, up to 185. Reportedly he squats over 300lbs as well. His brothers both had a late growth spurt, but he hasn't yet. Getting to 5'11 would be fantastic -- that's the same as Weber and Clendening.

Subban is like his buddy Shinkaruk -- they both love the game and are hard-workers, determined to succeed. That is why I believe they will.

doesn't he have another year of Jr left?

He'll almost certainly go to Utica next year. He'll have company there, as a few other D will be getting there as well, like McEneny, Liberati, and Cederholm. Finally we'll have some young developing D on the way.

It'll be interesting to see if he can play effective defence at an NHL level. I'd like to see him make it; the Canucks are sorely lacking in defenseman point production this season and it seems that's J Subban's specialty. Maybe he can be the next Tory Krug Sami Vatanen.

I think he's more like Sami Vatanen than he is like Torey Krug. I just dont see the compete level in Krug that I've seen in Subban and Vatanen.

Archived