The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eddie Lack as our number 1.

kidkurse

It was actually the best thing to happen to the canucks this season. Lack was outplaying miller, but miller had golden boy status so lack could never win the number 1 job fairly based on merit. The injury opened the door for lack to prove once and for all he's better than miller and capable of being the number 1.

What are you even talking about? Miller was great for us this year and is the reason we made the playoffs! There never was any question who our number one was.

I'm actually shocked how many people still want a goalie with at best equal (in reality slightly worse) stats and hasn't played in MONTHS to play game one of the playoffs :blink::blink:

-Lack's playing well.

-Lack has better stats.

-The team is playing well in front of Lack and is winning.

-Lack is not coming back from a serious injury and not playing in months.

A paycheque and "experience" are silly reasons to ignore facts/reality.

Yeah and ignoring the fact that he is paid more money and he IS the #1 goalie are reasons to ignore as well. We will soon see who plays in the playoffs and we will all know once and for all.

Yeah and ignoring the fact that he is paid more money and he IS the #1 goalie are reasons to ignore as well. We will soon see who plays in the playoffs and we will all know once and for all.

Lots has changed since Miller was signed. His injury provided an opportunity for Eddie to perhaps accelerate his move towards being a number 1 either with us or elsewhere.

Miller was okay but really aside from a short stretch of games, was pretty average or below most of the season.

AS you said in an earlier post, "you roll with Lack". He is in a groove, has chemistry with the team and is healthy. Miller has none of those right now and is far from being in game shape. #1 or not, he is a big question mark and a risk to throw in under the circumstances.

team chemistry can be fragile and fleeting, Sitting Eddie after what he has accomplished could change the team dynamics and they may not be able to get it back before it is too late.

What are you even talking about? Miller was great for us this year and is the reason we made the playoffs! There never was any question who our number one was.

Miller was far from the reason the canucks made the playoffs. The canucks unexpected offense is the main reason we made the playoffs. If we had last year's offense, Miller's .913 sv% would have had us out of the playoffs long ago. Miller wasn't awful. He was just real mediocre this year. Miller wouldn't even rank in the top 5 if you were to do the canucks mvp.

I don't think signing miller was a mistake at all, he was key in early season success and I feel like his stats are down due to a handful of blowouts. I mean if he has a few games where he drops the ball and the majority he is rock solid then so what? Even price and lundquist get pulled from time to time.

Obviously though lack is the future of the organization, personally I see JB dealing him at the deadline next season for 2016 picks, he's already said how he thinks that will be the deeper draft.

I do hope miller gets a chance to play early in the playoffs though and does well. I like the guy and hope he can regain some 2010 Olympic form. Besides I still feel guilty about the whole lu situation at the winter classic, and I'd hate to see us alienate another veteran goaltender.

Nice excuses you got there for your boy! Miller was a sieve during the end of the regular season and in the playoffs. I wonder what makes you such a hardcore miller fanboy. Vancouver wasn't even miller's first choice and he would have signed with anaheim or sj if they wanted him.

What makes me a Miller fan boy?

He's the better goalie that lead us from the start of the year. He single handedly stole games that we shouldn't have won. He got us 28 wins. Lack got us 18.

Miller was sensational last year. 923 save and 2.72 on arguably the worst team in the nhl (sabres)

His stats dropped to 903 as a blue... He had no training camp and not every goalie adjust immediately after a trade. Yes I know dubnyk is an obvious exception.

He also has 53 games playoff experience. He's the better goalie.

He also matched a career high in shutouts with just 44 games played. He's our #1.

I liked the Miller signing when we did it and I still do. It was a statement about whether this team would approach the season with the idea of making a push for the playoffs.

I think Eddie has matured a lot from his experience last year when he was forced to take over and being thrown into it this year. I think Miller has helped him a lot with that transition.

If we were to trade Miller over the summer to free up cap space (I started a poll on this awhile back on Proposals and Armchair about whether fans thought we should traded him) I'd be good with sending him out somewhere else.

I think Eddie is ready to take over full time, and I think we can find a backup through free agency who will push Markstrom in camp for the backup position.

Hmm...

Since I don't care that much about individual stats like GAA and SV%, since these stats when comparing goalies within the same team, isn't always true, I actually care more for how the team performs when they are in net.

Miller's win% is 64% and Lack's 50%. Lack had a bad start so if only counting his starts after the Miller injury he's been pacing 60%. (Really good, but not as good.)

Facts: He's not yet as good for the team as Miller has been. And if we disregard Lack's first 15 games (don't really know why we should!?) then we could disregard Miller's worst games as well!?

Miller´s percentage is 64 and Lack's 50.

I'd rather win, period! Then see some good goalie stats (GAA/SV%) and lose... but hey, that's just me!

I like em both but I think a lot of the members here should get their facts straight before trading Miller away.

I think Lack will be our new no 1 keeper within a year, but during that year he would most greatly benefit from Miller as a mentor.

Do not trade Miller away because Lack's been posting good win% in 15 games!!

A reminder: Without Miller from the start of this season, we would have relied on Lack's win% before the injury, which were sub 40%. Without Miller we would not even be in this playoff race!

These numbers are all fine and dandy but that's all they are. Remember that before Miller's injury Eddie was getting all the "backup" starts, the crappy 2nd of back-to-back games, the road games against tough opponents etc. etc.and these often a week or 10 days apart. Miller has only played for us as the starter. Had miller have played the type of games that Eddie had played before the injury I am guaranteeing that Miller's stats would be significantly inferior to Eddie's. As it is Eddie's save % is still better than miller's. As for mentoring all I can say is that $6 million is an awful lot to pay a mentor.

Lack still looks shaky at times, even when he wins. He can make some awesome saves, and he can flail around like a drunk whacking a pinata. He has done more than enough to earn a chance to show he can win in the playoffs, and I agree that starting him would be good for team chemistry.

I think he should start the playoffs, but I am curious if he should finish them. Miller against the Oilers is a good way to get back in game shape to some degree, but a little more rest and practice will be good for him so he is fully ready in case Eddie's wheels fall off.

The last thing we need is for Miller to come back too fast, get hurt in Game 1 or 2, and have Eddie be in a funk about being pushed aside.

Regardless, Go Canucks Go, and kick those Lame butts.

Even if miller is 100 percent lack deserves the start in game one, he has a good game then ride him till he has a bad game then put miller in, if lack hasn't played as good as he did we wouldn't even Be in the playoffs right now so he should be rewarded game one, I don't really get why everyone is so worried about lack starting he's been stealing lots of games for us to even get into the playoffs....

Just not sure that one game vs a sub par team is all that miller will need to be ready for the intensity of the playoffs.

And I'm just not sure a few good games in the regular season is enough to prepare a 2nd-year goalie for a playoff run, or that it's a good idea to say Miller is too cold to go in game 1 but just fine to go in at any time and take over if Lack can't handle it.

Like I said, either way we'll find out soon enough.

I truly believe that lack will start the playoffs. He deserves to be respected for what he has contributed to this team. He's been holding down the fort for this club while Miller is injured. I would say that miller shouldn't be rushed into starting especially off a terrible injury. Who also knows how he'll perform. It'll be nice to give miller the last game of the season to see how good of a shape he is in. But I'm good with ever WD goes with. I will respect whatever decision he goes with. Personally I recommend Lack since he's just on fire.

We are in the playoffs thanks in part to the play of both of these goalies as well as the play of the rest of this team, and that's what they all are is part of a team. I said before that common sense needs to prevail in deciding who to play. You would go with the hot hand. The healthy one. Not look at who gets paid more or who has the word " starter " associated with them. Lets risk losing a game or a series so we don't hurt one guys feelings? If we had closed out the season with a healthy miller playing decent then I would be the first to say play him but we didn't. Anyone with a grain of common sense knows who should start game one against Calgary for the good of the team.

Lets risk losing a game or a series so we don't hurt one guys feelings? If we had closed out the season with a healthy miller playing decent then I would be the first to say play him but we didn't. Anyone with a grain of common sense knows who should start game one against Calgary for the good of the team.

Bingo ;)

Miller has missed 21 games ....one quarter of a season and he will likely have 1 game prior to the playoffs to test his leg.

He is not in game shape at all so how many games can you play him before he tires? What if he srinks the plaxe out against Edmonton...so you start him and give him a chance at redemption or let him sit on the bench stewing about it ?

It is unfortunte Ryan got injured when he did as it has created a big unknown about his readiness to play in the playoffs.

Nucks management talked lots about "earning ice time" which for goalies equates to "earning the crease". In my opinion, eddie has earned the crease by playing very well under the pressure of having to make the playoffs.

Miller will likely get his chance but to me, the crease is Eddie's to lose.

I don't think there is much question that Miller is the more technically sound goalie of the two. At the same time, I think the Canucks would be crazy not to start Lack in game 1 next week. That would be like Ottawa not starting Hammond, teams need to ride the hot hand. I do however think that as soon as Lack faulters, the crease will Millers and he'll likely have a bit longer leash than Lack mainly because of his history.

I don't think there is much question that Miller is the more technically sound goalie of the two. At the same time, I think the Canucks would be crazy not to start Lack in game 1 next week. That would be like Ottawa not starting Hammond, teams need to ride the hot hand. I do however think that as soon as Lack faulters, the crease will Millers and he'll likely have a bit longer leash than Lack mainly because of his history.

That makes sense Zduck. That is the most likely scenario for our two great goalies. Can't wait for the playoffs to start.

I have a bad feeling that Eddie Lack is the one we see the management ship out this summer just because Miller's current contract would be a factor.

Perhaps to a team out East like Buffalo or Philly.

Hoping I'm wrong.

I think Miller himself would be ok with Lack starting game 1. First, Miller would agree that Lack has earned it with his stellar play while he was injured. Second, he knows that if he stumbles in game 1 and the Canucks lose, he would be crucified by the rabid fans here. Better to let Lack carry the ball and fill in for him if he falters.

Miller strikes me as a 'team first' kind of guy, and I think he would support Eddie being the starter in the playoffs.

Archived