The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kevin Bieksa wants to stay in Vancouver

It's straight up embarrassing for an Olympian to not score a goal in a season. Done with that thought. He'll rebound.

Back to KB3 since its another day and I have renewed enthusiasm.

LOYALTY. Such a rare trait. Kevin loves Vancouver, he's integral. If I was Benning, I'd offer him 5 yrs at 10m, yesterday.

PLease don't forget that KB3 ran circle around everyone but the Sedins in October fitness. The guy is a beast. His Pop (Al) taught him well. He didn't have the greatest year, I hope hes on an island somewhere in the sun like I'm soon to be and didn't see todays Province.

The sheeple don't check facts, they simply regurgitate what others throw out there without even verifying it.

Thanks for being a voice of reason...exactly. I remember back then, at the time, calling people out for not having patience through what was a severe injury that takes time to recover from. I got my jersey back then when everyone was calling for him to be gone. Then, as happens, they climbed back on the bandwagon shortly thereafter.

This is a city of short term memories and an inability to think for themselves at times (or people new to the dance who simply recite the story...a fairy tale at that). He's had his struggles...most (human beings) players will have ups and downs but you look at the big picture in determining whether it's a matter of "this too shall pass" or a long term forecast.

I personally want to see Juice show up at every Muppet's house who wants him gone and knock them out so I don't have to hear it anymore.

So much anger

And rightly so?

We can all type now, but I'm pretty sure mister Benning knows who "works " for him.

It's poke-her till draft day?

Our season is just over and never ceases to amaze me why so many are predicting another mediocre season by the Canucks.

I say let let Benning and the boys do their thing to prepare for next year before you start running for cover because you feel the sky is going to fall on your heads. Give yourselves a break and give it up already!!!!!! Go Canucks Go.

He's a quality top 4 man who was paired with one of the worst d-man in the league last yr (Sbisa). Even Chara would have a belwo avg season if he had that partner all year.

Kevins historical advanced stats are very strong. You don't trade those type of players cause they very hard to replace. I.e. trading Jason Garrison, who also had historical strong advanced stats, backfired in Bennings face this yr. Benning traded him for scraps and Willie was forced to use Sbisa in his place.

Next yr, if Benning trades Bieksa - the same thing will happen. Bieksa will be replaced by some scrub that Benning thinks is a 'quality NHL dman", and this team sinks further into the abyss.

Why the hate on Sbisa as Bieksa's partner? According to Jim Benning, the Canucks own stats have Sbisa ranked as only the 5th worst on in terms of Canucks Defensemen sorted by the most giveaways. There are 4 other Canucks defensemen who cough up the puck more often than Sbisa. Hint - Tanev isn't one of them. Sbisa plays with an edge and has decent mobility for a big guy. Probably the biggest fault in his game is that he over-relies on putting the puck on the glass to get it out of the zone rather than hitting someone with a decent breakout pass. I venture to say that putting it to the neutral zone on the glass is probably better (less harmful) than making a bad giveaway pass in the D zone, although it's not the best option for a team that wants to control possession.

Why the hate on Sbisa as Bieksa's partner? According to Jim Benning, the Canucks own stats have Sbisa ranked as only the 5th worst on in terms of Canucks Defensemen sorted by the most giveaways. ...

1. Total number of giveaways is an even worse statstic than +/-.

The players who handle the puck have the most opportunities for giveaways. Often that is the team's best players. Sbisa isn't one of the Canucks who most often handle the puck.

According to http://war-on-ice.com/playertable.html (choosing Canucks, Defencemen and Base Counts) at 5 on 5 among Canuck defencemen, Bieksa had 54 giveaways, Edler 52, Tanev 40, Sbisa was 4th with 37 and Hamhuis 5th with 36. When adjusted for minutes played Hamhuis would move above Sbisa in turnovers per 60 minutes, Hamhuis having missed part of the season with injury. (Time on ice at 5 on 5 can be viewed at http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201415&sit=5v5&pos=defense&minutes=50&teamid=29&type=individual&sort=toi&sortdir=DESC)

Note, though, Sbisa isn't someone used as a prime person on offence, nor in his own zone to get the puck out.

Compare with turnovers in the NBA, where the highest raw turnover numbers normally go with those point guards who handle the ball a lot.

2. Not all turnovers are created equal.

3. You ask "Why the hate on Sbisa as Bieksa's partner?" Taking a look at how Bieksa did with Sbisa compared with how he did without him, again at 5 on 5 (stats from http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=586&withagainst=true&season=2014-15&sit=f10)

Bieksa with Sbisa GF% 37.8 Bieksa without Sbisa GF% 55.8

CF% 48.1 CF% 48.3

The goals while they were together were awful. On the other hand, the CF% (shot attempts %) wasn't too bad, and that is balanced by the fact that Bieksa's zone starts were more favourable when he wasn't playing with Sbisa (OZone% 44.9 with Sbisa, 54.3 without)

I haven't found in my brief search info about strength of opponents while Bieksa and Sbisa were on the ice together.

I was surprised the Corsi stats for Bieksa with/without Sbisa were so close, given the difference in zone starts. Certainly people will be down on Sbisa as Bieksa's partner when the team is outscored so badly while they are on the ice together.

People will be down generally on Sbisa because he appeared to be so ineffective this year, but on most people's eye tests (one can read about what people thought of his play on CDC, for example) and in stats. Among league defencemen who played 400 or more minutes this season Sbisa placed:

179 of 216 defencemen in pts/60 minutes (0.45)

179 of 216 in GF% (43.8) (175 in GF%RelTM at -6.5)

165 of 216 in FF% (47.1)

187 of 216 in FF%RelTM (-4.0)

164 of 216 in CF% (47.1)

178 of 216 in CF%RelTM (-3.1)

(stats from Note that Sbisa's tougher than normal zone starts should be considered in judging those stats, but imo the stats are so bad zone starts are only a small part of the explanation.

There are a lot of things to say he wasn't, to use WD's well known description, real good.

I myself waiver on this but he has earned the right to stay here. Either you like it or not.

He still has some positives in being one of the very few who can drop em and love his character. Yeah his play has diminished but that is life, deal with it. He is not going to be traded. He doesn't want to leave and management can't force him. End of discussion.

I myself waiver on this but he has earned the right to stay here. Either you like it or not.

He still has some positives in being one of the very few who can drop em and love his character. Yeah his play has diminished but that is life, deal with it. He is not going to be traded. He doesn't want to leave and management can't force him. End of discussion.

This is what is so wrong with this team.

"I'm here to stay; I'll go down with the ship:" the veterans are all halfway to retirement, and they are content with that. No one wants to win anymore.

No one has earned any right on the Canuck roster other than winning a CUP. There isn't a player or a management member who does not have to earn his spot every year. Anything less results in a subjective

bunch of BS. As always it is about what is given up versus what comes back.

Kevin Bieksa has no desire of leaving Vancouver and wants to return in a Canucks uniform next season:

The Canucks are expected to make some changes to their roster this off-season and veteran defenseman Kevin Bieksa is hoping he isn't one of them.

According to the Vancouver Sun, Bieksa does not want to be traded and has not spoken to management about waiving his no-trade clause.

"It's never been brought up to me," Bieksa told the Sun. "No one's ever even mentioned it. Everyone I've talked to in the organization has never said anything but positive things to me. I've never had one negative experience with a fan in Vancouver, not one fan say they didn't like me. Not one. For me, it's a couple of people writing articles."

Bieksa, who turns 34 on June 16, has one-year left on his contract that comes with a salary cap hit of $4.6 million, though he will earn $2.5 million in actual salary next season.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/van150428.html

For the last 2 seasons I've watch Bieksa slow down dramatically. Here's my question if some one can clarify that would be much appreciated.

Lets say Bieksa, (or any player with a NTC) , simply doesn't make the team in fall, what happens to the contract and the contract status against the cap? They cut Bieksa and say buddy you just aren't good enough any more. What happens?

I'm not saying Bieksa isn't good enough I"m just using him as an example. His loss of speed is quite evident which is cause for concern which got me thinking about what happen if he or other players under contract just don't cut it?

For the last 2 seasons I've watch Bieksa slow down dramatically. Here's my question if some one can clarify that would be much appreciated.

Lets say Bieksa, (or any player with a NTC) , simply doesn't make the team in fall, what happens to the contract and the contract status against the cap? They cut Bieksa and say buddy you just aren't good enough any more. What happens?

I'm not saying Bieksa isn't good enough I"m just using him as an example. His loss of speed is quite evident which is cause for concern which got me thinking about what happen if he or other players under contract just don't cut it?

He is still under contract meaning he is still part of the organization. We'd still have him he doesn't magically go away lol.

If management wanted to replace Bieksa they would have to buy him out, trade him or waive him and hope he gets claimed in order to remove him from the organization.

Our season is just over and never ceases to amaze me why so many are predicting another mediocre season by the Canucks.

I say let let Benning and the boys do their thing to prepare for next year before you start running for cover because you feel the sky is going to fall on your heads. Give yourselves a break and give it up already!!!!!! Go Canucks Go.

That implies that this season was mediocre, which it wasn't. If anything, it was quite successful.

Whether he's "earned the right to stay here" or not, it's irrelevant. When it comes down to it, this a business. Simply put, with his cap hit and his play, Bieksa doesn't fit into the business plan any more. We all love Bieksa and what he's done for this franchise and this city, but Bieksa has become detrimental to the team. It's fine to say "he's still a great 6th Dman", but most 6th Dmen don't have a 4.5 million dollar cap hit. That cap has to be shed, and Bieksa has to move on. He might as well agree to waive now, because there's no way Benning resigns him once his contract is up anyways.

You can present statistics in any context you want to fit your narrative, but at the end of the day it's about tangible results. I watched damn near every game this season, and every playoff game. From what I SAW, Bieksa was beyond horrible. Always a step behind the opposition, making terrible decisions with the puck both offensively and defensively.

He's just not very good. Sure he's loyal, but so is a dog. Bieksa as a 6th (3rd pairing) defenceman? Sure absolutely, **but not at his current cap hit which is beyond detrimental to the current roster**

Everyone is saying that his locker room presence and leadership qualities are worth more to us than any potential return. Really? Are you IN the dressing room to be able to quantify and actually assess that presence? Are you actually on the team, and interacting with every other player on the team, thereby giving you insight as to how his leadership qualities stack up?

All anyone sees is what they want you to see. Bieksa gets camera time with media because he's outspoken, and is a veteran on this team. Any qualities that you perceive he has isn't a true accounting of who he is as a player, or person, it's what you're being shown.

I'll take the 4.6 Million in cap space and a 2nd round draft pick over Bieksa on the 3rd pairing every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Archived