The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Matt O'Connor signs 2 year deal with Sens

those that thought we would sign him...

We have other players to sign, and we are set in goal with Markstrom/Demko/Lack/Eriksson.

Getting Matt Oconnor means that we'll have an unnecessary log jam and it'll also take a spot away from other players. Good luck to him in Ottawa.

Or... getting Oconnor means that we can trade Markstrom or Lack away for some sweet draft picks.

Thought that it would come down to NYR or the Canucks...obviously, I'm the guy that you don't want stock tips from.

But looking at Ottawa's goalie situation, it makes sense. Anderson is 34, Hammond 27, Lehner 24 and Dreidger 21.

Is it possible that O'Connor probably saw Eddie Lack/Thatcher Demko in Vancouver and Cam Talbot/Brandon Halverson as tougher competition for NHL roster spot in the near future than the Sens? If I'm not mistaken, Benning suggested in his last interview on TSN1040 that they may try to get Demko signed before he finishes his college careeer.

really sick of other teams getting these players.... just am. Grats Sens.... hope he turns out to be gem...

Agreed. Not that I want the Canucks to be a team relying on FAs all the time, but we always got left behind. Would be nice for our luck to change just once.

really sick of other teams getting these players.... just am. Grats Sens.... hope he turns out to be gem...

Not like the Canucks haven't landed unsigned players...Burrows, Kenins, Tanev, Fox, Sautner. There are a lot of teams out there, Canucks can't beat all of them every single time.

Forgot about undrafted Eddie Lack that signed with the Canucks.

Agreed. Not that I want the Canucks to be a team relying on FAs all the time, but we always got left behind. Would be nice for our luck to change just once.

We got Sundin that one time. For half a season. For 10 mil.

Unless Benning had some sort of master plan to move a goalie or two, I'm glad he signed elsewhere.

The last thing we need is the media shining (more) light on Vancouver goalies for another 5-10 years.

The thing is that we're likely losing Eriksson (to Sweden) and one of Lack/Markstrom, so there was a spot available for him.

Vrbata was a good FA signing.

Keep Markstrom and trade Miller.

The way he's going for the Comets, he seems more likely to become a number 1 than Lack at this point.

I think so. Miller to Sanjose seems like a realistic idea. It all depends on what Sanjose does this off-season. They are not a bad team because it was evident they lost many games this year due to poor goal-tending.

I think so. Miller to Sanjose seems like a realistic idea. It all depends on what Sanjose does this off-season. They are not a bad team because it was evident they lost many games this year due to poor goal-tending.

They won't trade Miller within the division.

SJ wants to get younger. Miller makes no sense for them. I could see them being interested in Lack.

Archived