The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

was jensen not good enough last preseason?

hateleafs

Does Jensen have the drive to succeed? Or is he too laid back? Might do him good to play with Dorsett this year. Dorsett is a good influence on being a harder working player. I may not like his contract but I'd rather over pay and have his mentorship and energy than trying to replace him.

he is a good player who I believe still has a future with this team, he can be that complimentary scoring winger the team needs. His problem was consistency and until this is overcome and he can play to his strengths night in and night out he will be in Utica working on his game. He is almost there.

I never figured out why we didn't pick Rakell in that draft. Oh well.

I don't think that was a very strong draft imo...He was picked 29th overall,almost a second rounder..There's quite a number of players picked before him that haven't cracked the NHL.

As I see it the problem for Jensen is this. Not wishing to be any other than a scorer ( which was his supposed calling card) he moved himself from a NHL player to an elite of the elite players. His chnaces to make the NHL as a player rather than a scorer has greatly lessoned his chnace of success. He still has many of the requiste skills and size to become a bottom six player but has never concentrated his development in that area. Now as it turns out in his next progession from junior to the AHL his scoring ability just isn't good enough. He has to rebrand himself and it's not coming easy

Jensen needs to play with good players. Look how good he looked with the Sedins.

In the AHL he's on the fourth one night 2nd the next then benched. Its hard to get any chemistry going. He is playing with guys who are plugs. For a guy that can skate,score,play decent on defence, he can't play that game when playing with Plugs or sitting in the press box

Jensen needs to play with good players. Look how good he looked with the Sedins.

In the AHL he's on the fourth one night 2nd the next then benched. Its hard to get any chemistry going. He is playing with guys who are plugs. For a guy that can skate,score,play decent on defence, he can't play that game when playing with Plugs or sitting in the press box

Exactly that head coach in Utica is an idiot :-) He sees Jensen every day. Games and practises and I'm assuming Jensen is aportioned the amount of ice time that idiot thinks is appropriate. I find it tough to blame the coach or the stick boy or the cheer leaders. Jensen earns what he gets .... good or bad. It's his career and the presure to succeed is his alone. Gaunce on the other hand said after he was benched I had to take a serious lookat myself and ract accordingly. Coaches want success and he plays those that will bring it. There is no favouratism for an AHL coach only success as a stepping stone for his own career. Trip to the Calder Cup got Willy his shot in the NHL, Greene is hoping the same trick works for him

ps. Every player that plays on the Sedins line looks good

Jensen wasn't good enough THIS season. While rookies Gaunce (-2), and Shinkaruk (+1) played quite well defensively - especially Gaunce, who often played against the other teams best lines, Jensen was a whopping -12 (even worse than that most of the year) mostly playing on the top two lines. Jensen got exactly the treatment he deserved - if he wants to play in the NHL, he has to play alot better on the defensive side of the puck, and he has to use his size to go to the net with a lot more determination.

He is a very inconsistent player - the year before he did nothing for the first half of the season in the AHL, then got something like 18 goals in the last twenty something games - but disappeared again when the going got tough in the playoffs. He is timid for a big guy, and not very determined - easily put off his game. Put him on the ice with Kassian, and most games they'd be bookends, that once in a while would dazzle you with promise, only to dive back into indifferent play. The history of the NHL is littered with such players - surely we've had enough of them in Vancouver.

How many times have we heard "The problem with Player X is that he is put on a line with the Sedins".

My theory is that the Sedins are a scarce resource and that to make the NHL you need to be able to play well with other players too.

Heck, Vrbata went to the trouble of moving to the Canucks just so he could play with the Sedins and he only got to play on their line for half the season (at even strength anyway).

More seriously, Jensen had a handful of good games with the Sedins. They make anyone look good and Jensen was not able to play well consistently even then. As many people (including me) have said, Jensen does not have the talent to make the NHL as a high end scorer. If he is going to make the NHL at all it will be as a bottom six player. To achieve that his defensive game and his consistency will need to get a lot better.

For a low first round pick his development has been disappointing.

Never been a fan of Jensen.

I just don't think he has what it takes to be an NHL player on a consistent basis. I expect him to end up in Europe in a couple of years which by all means there is no shame in but sometimes these things don't work out. Like any other Canuck fan I want to see our prospects do well but ever since he was drafted I have never been excited about him.

He has done absolutely nothing that shows any sign of him playing in the NHL. Obviously I hope he proves me wrong but I don't think that is going to happen and I could have told you that when he was drafted as well.

last preseason Jensen deserved to be on the canucks

I thought he played very good he played in 3 or 4 games I believe he scored vs the sharks and flames

he set up the winning goal against the oilers

I want him to be a canuck but if he keeps getting{ sven baertchi from the flames} type treatment

you don't think he'll want outa here as well? and I hope he ain't getting tradet either.

anyone else would be hurt and angry if he'd get tradet?

STAHHHHHP

Bust

Agreed. Usually about 30-40 players/draft become full time nhl players. He is well below top 30 in games played in his draft class and only has 24 nhl games total. I'd say it's probably about 95% safe to label this player especially at the style of game he plays... A bust.

Trade him for whatever we can get at this point...3rd or 4th rd pick maybe.

Agreed. Usually about 30-40 players/draft become full time nhl players. He is well below top 30 in games played in his draft class and only has 24 nhl games total. I'd say it's probably about 95% safe to label this player especially at the style of game he plays... A bust.

Trade him for whatever we can get at this point...3rd or 4th rd pick maybe.

Pretty sure its much, much less than that.

When he played with the Sedins', he showed that he can score. It kind of makes you wonder if coaching is trying to mold him into the kind of playing style that just doesn't suit him.

Bonino joined the Canucks and showed that he has a good shot but then it seemed that someone in coaching tried to make a sqare peg fit in a round hole too because his offence just dried up as far as goal scoring.

Archived