The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Joel Ward to hit free agency, Vancouver a possible landing spot

We would have to trade out one of our current wingers to really have room for him. Higgins maybe?

Even then I would only be interested in signing him for 2 years for $3.5 mil or so.

Maybe something like:

Sedin-Sedin-Kass

Baer-Bonino-Vrbata

Burr-Horvat-Ward

Dorsett-???-Hansen

Could trade him when one of our young wingers are ready for full time. Still seems like a bit of a stretch that we would be in the market for him though.

We could but why would he want to sign here if there's a good chance he's going to be traded in 6 months.

He does basically the exact same as Higgins so why would we need him

He's a little bigger than Higgins and can handle a more offensive role and be more physical. Higgins is probably one of the best true 3rd liners in the league because he does everything well but he hasn't really been a top 6 guy since he was in Montreal and even then he looked better as a two way 3rd liner.

Ward is interesting - Vrbata and Bonino do need a big body that gets in hard on the forecheck and goes to the hard areas. If they're in the market for a player like Ward, imo that's where he'd fit.. He may not be ideal in terms of age, cap hit, and foot speed, but he's not the worst idea out there.

What the team really needs is a pair of healthy Zack Kassians - young, and affordable...

I like Baerstchi, but I'm not sure he provides what the 2nd line needs at this point.

Ward is an interesting option if the team makes a change or two where their veterans are concerned - or moved 6 million in goaltending cap haha.

I disagree about the 2nd line.

IMO Bonino and Vrbata need a puck controlling playmaker to help generate scoring chances far more than a big body that forechecks. Thats Baertschis spot to lose.

I can only see a signing like this if they find a new home for both ZK (roster spot) and KB3 (cap room), but honestly Id rather keep as much potential cap space open for next offseasons UFA crop.

Ultimatetly I dont see anyone but us and Calgary falling out of playoff spots, and with LA, Dallas, SJ, and Col knocking on the door, I have a hard time believing that this club will be a playoff team.

Theres specific veteran assets Id hold onto:

Sedins, Hamhuis, Edler, Tanev.

All of Miller, Bieksa, Vrbata, Higgins, Hansen, Bonino, Burrows.... to the highest bidder of talented youth and draft picks.

Id be just fine watching a roster of:

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Baertschi Bonino Burrows

Kenins Horvat Dorsett

Shinkaruk Cassels Virtanen..... drools over this kid line.

Hamhuis Green

Edler Tanev

Sbisa/Stanton Corrado/Clendenning

Lack

Markstrom

Fantasy Trades:

Vrbata + Weber to Wash for 22nd overall

Miller to SJ for 2016 1st

Bieksa + Higgins to CBJ for 34th and 38th picks

Hansen to Colorado for 40th pick

There's no way that Higgins is a more useful player than Ward.

Higgins caphit alone is more useful than Ward.

Even with Higgins' offensive struggle this season, he had 2 more points than Ward, in 5 less games.

And here's another fun fact; depsite what people think about Higgins and his lack of his physical play. He still out-hit Ward by 18.

Higgins caphit alone is more useful than Ward.

Even with Higgins' offensive struggle this season, he had 2 more points than Ward, in 5 less games.

And here's another fun fact; depsite what people think about Higgins and his lack of his physical play. He still out-hit Ward by 18.

^ This. I don't get all the Higgins hate.

Back on topic. Loved it when he scored that game 7 OT goal against Boston, but we don't have room for Ward here. Better to play the kids.

I would love Ward but Canucks don't need him.

LW C RW

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Bonino Vrbata

Matthias Richardson Kassian

Kennins Horvat Hansen

Scratches: Vey, Mcmillan, Dorsett , Shinkaruk?, Virtanen? , Gaunce?, Baertschi, Jensen, Conacher?

Matthias won't be back, I can see the Canucks letting Richardson go, and also trading Higgins.

This would allow Ward to be on the team, which would allow for youth to come in while a clutch hard nosed veteran gets added to the forward group.

Archived