The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Vey Appreciation Thread

thejazz97

Well,,, Mckeown is an inch taller and ten pounds heavier at 19. You can add another ten or fifteen pounds in 4 years...so now your have Vey at 23 yo and 6' 185 to Mckeown at 23 6'1 210 lbs Thats everything in the NHL.

On the issue of size, NHL.com (which provides the stats on this website) is notoriously unreliable. Elite Prospects does a better job of staying up to date. For example, they now have Horvat at 6-1 and 216 as he has added an inch and 10 lbs or so since the draft, as is normal. They have Vey at 5-11 and 179, making him the smallest guy on the team last year.

McKeown took a step backwards this year in Kingston and L.A. obviously didnt see enough in him to not throw him away in a futile attempt to get into the playoffs this year. Still an ok prospect and is in a position we need but we've all seen the stats on how often late 2nd rounders pan out.

If we kept the second round pick, signed Schroeder to Vey's contract, and brought in Santorelli instead we would have been far better off both in the present and future.

That said, hindsight is 20-20. I thought Vey would be far better than he was. Schroeder >>> Vey last season. Points per game wise they are similar, but Schroeder got around 8 points in 16 games while on the third line, and the team was far better with him on the ice. Also his +9 and possession stats are sparkling.

Schroeder was just not going to work. He got a goal and had a couple of nice flashes for the Wild against us but ultimately he was still the same Schroeder.

I would go as far as to say I NEVER saw Shroeder put in the type of competitive performances put in regularly by Vey. Schroeder used to frustrate the hell out of me because I knew he had the talent but he just never had the compete. Unlike Vey he actually played like a small player.

I don't know why it has to be considered "hate" when talking about Vey.

Concerns that he might not be what this team needs or a redundancy is not hate, it's just observation and opinion. Now if someone lies and tries to convince others he has drug problems and behavioral issues, then that would be hate.

The other thing is those that bring up that we need to get younger and still call out Vey. Getting younger is more than a number. We need to get bigger, younger and faster. One out of three is not enough.

That said, if Vey turns his game into something indispensable I wouldn't complain but as of now we already have players in development that could fill the holes we are filling with him. There are other players on the team I will be patient as stone about but I wouldn't even notice if Vey was gone at this point.

That is mighty gracious of you. If he does that he will be one of only a handful on the Canucks roster. Cut the guy some slack he has just played his first full rookie season.

Sven Baertsch has had 28 points in 68 games in the NHL. Is he a bust too?

Post #51(Timberwolf's) pretty much summed it up..any critical analysis gets deemed hatred. Got to wave pom poms, for every Van player?

Vey will inevitably draw career-comparisons with Schreds, Santo & McKeown, for the noted reasons.

We should have spent a coupla' mill cap(maybe 2 contracts) on useless bisons like Ferland. In the 2nd half/PO's we really NEEDed the size. Guys like Kenins & Dorsett did what they could, wearing down by late-season. Guys like Vey just heap a greater physical load upon every grinder's aching back.. Just ask Kassian or Richardson, as well.

The way the reffs call our games late-season, we need all the size we can get. To stand our ground, & absorb hits from Ferlund-types, allowed to charge every shift.

Vey, Bonino & Sbisa looked dandy in the fall..perfect if it's an MLB team. Get BIGGER, please.

McKeown took a step backwards this year in Kingston and L.A. obviously didnt see enough in him to not throw him away in a futile attempt to get into the playoffs this year. Still an ok prospect and is in a position we need but we've all seen the stats on how often late 2nd rounders pan out.

those trades happen every year and only one of them looks good in retrospect.

it is not unlike the Vermette trade made by Chicago this season or the StLouis trade made by the Rangers last year.

If you make the finals or win the cup it looks great, if not you have thrown away the future.

I'm very much a glass half full type of person.

Linden Vey is kind of like surface mold. He didn't look great, but perhaps things aren't as bad they seem once you dig deeper. Unfortunately, there is rot - and a lot of it.

Easy competition, offensive starts, poor possession numbers, awful 5 on 5 points per minute. Add in the fact he has no physical game, isn't great defensively, and sucks at other intangibles like faceoffs.

Early on he was doing well, 12 points his first 22 games including 6 goals. 1 goal 2 assists his last 24 games. That is enforce-esque numbers - and he got decent powerplay time too!

Linden Vey is kind of like surface mold. He didn't look great, but perhaps things aren't as bad they seem once you dig deeper. Unfortunately, there is rot - and a lot of it.

Easy competition, offensive starts, poor possession numbers, awful 5 on 5 points per minute. Add in the fact he has no physical game, isn't great defensively, and sucks at other intangibles like faceoffs.

Early on he was doing well, 12 points his first 22 games including 6 goals. 1 goal 2 assists his last 24 games. That is enforce-esque numbers - and he got decent powerplay time too!

Exactly. You did forget to mention he was favored by Willie because of his medicine hat connection. Vey didnt even have to compete for a spot out of training camp. So much for creating competition Willie.

those trades happen every year and only one of them looks good in retrospect.

it is not unlike the Vermette trade made by Chicago this season or the StLouis trade made by the Rangers last year.

If you make the finals or win the cup it looks great, if not you have thrown away the future.

I was talking more specifically about McKeown's downturn than the trade itself, L.A. still chose to let that asset go. To your point nothing beats what the Rangers did at the deadline this year as far as thowing your future away. Ugh no wonder the GM wants to step down.

To Pho:

Anthony Duclair (Looked awesome at WJC and played with Domi)

1st rd pick 2016

2nd rd pick 2015

To NYR:

Kieth Yandle

John Moore

I don't hate the guy it's just that management is saying you have to earn your way on the team but give him 1st line PP time but Horvat had to do 4th line time and had to earn that. Vey didn't IMO show enough go or able to hold his own. He was easily pushed of the puck and bumped aside and for what they got Canucks gave up to much!

The fact is Linden Vey and the Canucks are far too small of a team. They need to insert Greiner from Utica in the line-up at 6'5" next season not a small player like Vey

Sestito is 6'5 as well. Maybe have him take some draws...

I wasnt a big fan of Veys play last season, but theres room for him to continue to develop and get better. He NEEDS to get stronger and be able to win himself some puck battles. Half of that is mind set. Some of the smallest players in the league are great at battling for pucks. They use their speed and smarts and arent afraid of being knocked down.

Hes got some skill and creativity, but desperately needs to grow in confidence for those true colors to come out. he could still turn out to be a skilled top 6 forward, but he has to get out of his own way. You could see it all over him as he got passed on the depth chart by Kenins and MacMillan... Put on the blinders and have faith in yourself kid!

Was a fan of this trade from the start after doing some reading up on Vey's pedigree coming into last season. While he didn't impress me, he also didn't thoroughly disappoint me either. While his offensive contributions lessened as the season went on (removed from PP time and was 13th forward often) he stepped in when Richardson got hurt and for a 23 year old, played fairly admirably. His defensive game is there, and improved as the season went on. There's definitely no lack of effort in his game, which I appreciate.

The hate on this guy is ridiculous. I remember earlier in the season when he was getting PP time (which is what his play style is suited for) he was getting hated on by the Kassian lovers. Let's face it, he worked hard out on the ice and anybody that says different didn't watch the games. Can't wait to see how he further develops next season and hopefully he takes the next step as a playmaking forward.

Dude just compared Linden Vey to surface mold.

That's probably the best thing I've read around here in months. I hope "surface mold" somehow catches on and becomes Linden Vey's actual nickname.

Archived