The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] McNally to Sharks

Its not even because it was a less noticeable draft, but because Benning did NOTHING that he said he was going to do.

I believe Benning claimed he was going after at least two 2nd rounders to stockpile the cupboard - he gets a 3rd and 2 7ths.

On top of this, he has now shown Bieksa that he doesn't feel he is necessary to the Canucks and we got nothing in return for that. Now Bieksa will know he's not wanted but will still be playing? Great.

I also believe that Benning wanted to get younger. Aside from drafting a couple players, he did nothing this draft to do that - in fact he didn't even trade some veterans that should have gone to make room for our young players.

You need to learn something here, some times , as in a lot of time plans don't go as planned. I'm glad he's not been forced to make deals. I bet not one person knows what player is available in the 7th round, Jim does. You have little or no clue.

On top of this, he has now shown Bieksa that he doesn't feel he is necessary to the Canucks and we got nothing in return for that. Now Bieksa will know he's not wanted but will still be playing? Great.

that already happened years ago when Burke told the world that Gillis put Bieksa and Burrows on the table to get Hedman

McNally's the only prospect that I thought was going to walk....and it looks like he did

Another good bit of business by Benning.

Faced with losing him he has pulled this one out of the fire and given us a chance at someone he maybe knows is undervalued at 210. That is what I call thinking on your feet.

Considering the poverty of what we had to offer and the circumstances we found ourselves in I am enjoying these Benning moves immensely.

Its not even because it was a less noticeable draft, but because Benning did NOTHING that he said he was going to do.

I believe Benning claimed he was going after at least two 2nd rounders to stockpile the cupboard - he gets a 3rd and 2 7ths.

I also believe that Benning wanted to get younger. Aside from drafting a couple players, he did nothing this draft to do that - in fact he didn't even trade some veterans that should have gone to make room for our young players.

So no, its not that the draft didn't pan out, its that Benning said he had a plan and he didn't follow it.

Jesus... there's still a whole off-season..

Better than losing him for nothing.

Not better than signing him though...

I will hate to have to watch him and Kylington play in our division if they pan out. It's bad enough having Hamilton and Reinhart with the Alberta teams.

So no, its not that the draft didn't pan out, its that Benning said he had a plan and he didn't follow it.

No, you're wrong. He said he would "like" to make make a deal to get into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

He managed to get an early 3rd just outside of the 2nd. We moved a 27 year old back-up goalie with an expiring contract to do so. He drafted a player the Canucks had highly rated at 23. He turned another expiring asset in McNally into a 7th round pick and another asset in the system. We have 2 7th rounders next year which might allow us to package and move up in next years' draft. I liked a number of this years' selections. Could be some late round gems (or not)

The season doesn't start tomorrow last I looked and I would assume Benning will continue to try and improve the team. If that means moving Bieksa, so be it. Hockey is a business. Stop whining. It doesn't all have to be done in one day.

Not better than signing him though...

I will hate to have to watch him and Kylington play in our division if they pan out. It's bad enough having Hamilton and Reinhart with the Alberta teams.

And if Baertschi pans out? He has tremendous upside as well. You think Calgary is gonna love watching him if he turns into a star? Theres a lot of what ifs at this point.

We wouldn't have been able to land Reinhart without giving up our top assets. It pays to tank for a few years and accumulate high pick after high pick.

Archived