The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

21 hours ago, stawns said:

no, no he's not.  Bo ends up playing those hard, defensive zone minutes, rather than getting o-zone starts.

Beagle eats up those minutes. When Beagle came back from his injury, hes made a dramatic difference to this team, and most of all made other players better. Sutter is injury prone, has pretty much had a revolving door of linemates and still, nothing sticks. Is Gaudette better? not yet, but hes faster, developing at a rapid pace, and most of all has a cheaper salary. Sutter's getting paid almost 4.5 million, is mediocre at best, and can't even stay healthy to last a full season.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

Umm, no, Sutter is not mediocre. He is a lot better than you haters love to tell yourselves. Gaudette is not replacing Sutter. Until he proves he can, Sutter stays.

I gotta go with Filthy on this one.  He has been very mediocre last couple seasons when he has made it into the lineup at all.

I think Gaudette was already showing great improvement and is a natural fit for third line centre.

Sutter has drug down the wingers he plays with this year and if he has any value at all it is time to trade him.

8 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

Umm, no, Sutter is not mediocre. He is a lot better than you haters love to tell yourselves. Gaudette is not replacing Sutter. Until he proves he can, Sutter stays.

Sutter is not mediocre? Why don't you explain your rationale?

- He's been here 3-4 years, was given 2nd line minutes, 1st line with the Sedins, pp1 with the Sedins, didn't do nothing.

-He was supposed to be this shut down centreman and yet we were in the bottom or near the bottom last year on Goals against, can't stay healthy, we have a losing record with him in the lineup and hes getting paid 4.5 million. 

If you are ok with a 4th line centre making 4.5 million thats injury prone that does F-all then good thing you aren't running this team

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I gotta go with Filthy on this one.  He has been very mediocre last couple seasons when he has made it into the lineup at all.

I think Gaudette was already showing great improvement and is a natural fit for third line centre.

Sutter has drug down the wingers he plays with this year and if he has any value at all it is time to trade him.

Exactly. The fact that Beagle made an over paid scorer, and young journey man player useful is already an achievement on its own. Sutter has never formed chemistry with anyone other than the medical staff in his time here so far.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Sutter is not mediocre? Why don't you explain your rationale?

- He's been here 3-4 years, was given 2nd line minutes, 1st line with the Sedins, pp1 with the Sedins, didn't do nothing.

He is below average offensively. If he was given offensive opportunities it was only because there was no one else on our sorry team that deserved to play those minutes. 

-He was supposed to be this shut down centreman and yet we were in the bottom or near the bottom last year on Goals against, can't stay healthy, we have a losing record with him in the lineup and hes getting paid 4.5 million. 

It's a bit ridiculous to hang a team's GA on one player. You could be the best shutdown center in the league and the puck would still be going in your net because you happen to be on the ice with Pouliot or Gudbranson not to mention our mediocre goaltending last year. 

If you are ok with a 4th line centre making 4.5 million thats injury prone that does F-all then good thing you aren't running this team

The problem I have with Sutter is that you can't have a player be this offensively invisible while paying him 4.5M. I think the notion that he does "F-all" is hyperbole but I do think it's accurate to say that he doesn't do nearly enough to justify the price tag nor the deployment. But that does not mean you promptly ship him out and throw a rookie into that role.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Toews said:

He is below average offensively. If he was given offensive opportunities it was only because there was no one else on our sorry team that deserved to play those minutes. 

It's a bit ridiculous to hang a team's GA on one player. You could be the best shutdown center in the league and the puck would still be going in your net because you happen to be on the ice with Pouliot or Gudbranson not to mention our mediocre goaltending last year. 

The problem I have with Sutter is that you can't have a player be this offensively invisible while paying him 4.5M. I think the notion that he does "F-all" is hyperbole but I do think it's accurate to say that he doesn't do nearly enough to justify the price tag nor the deployment. But that does not mean you promptly ship him out and throw a rookie into that role.

Beagle has replaced Sutter in that role, not Gaudette. The point Im getting at is it worth it for a guy that does pretty much close to nothing getting 8-10 minutes a night making 4.5 million, over a developing young player that has upside, and clearly is ready for the NHL. The team is not gonna reallocate minutes for a 4th line centre at the expense of Petterson and Horvat. Believe it or not, we still need to score

• Upvote 2

On 2/12/2019 at 7:55 PM, The Great Canucks said:

Sutter was never getting traded this season. Clearly you are not that good at player evaluation if you think Gaudette good enough to play Sutter's minutes. He's not. That's why we are keeping Sutter for now.

Some of us are just better at evaluating talent then others. This team struggles for offence and if given an opportunity Gaudette can provide more of it than Sutter. Last time Sutter was out it taxed Horvat because he was the dependable faceoff guy but at that time Beagle was also out. That’s not the case right now so Sutter isn’t missed as much. Roll Beagle out for those defensive faceoffs you don’t want Horvat or Gaudette taking.

Edited by flickyoursedin
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Toews said:

Or you could take on Pat Quinn’s coaching philosophy, where modify the roles to fit the personnel.  Who says the third line centre has to play primarily a defensive role?  Is that etched onto a stone tablet found under a burning bush?

• Upvote 1

I've been one of the more critical ones of Gaudette from almost the get-go, as I haven't seen any signs of a true NHL player yet. Fans calling for Gaudette to replace Sutter are massively underrating what Sutter brings, particularly his defense and Gaudette hasn't been amazing defensively and very poor offensively.

However...all that said, Gaudette has 2 goals and 1 assist in his last three games. If he continues this kind of play, my tune will change. I'll still claim that fans underrate what Sutter brings, but I'd be thrilled if Gaudette can show that he's actually an NHL-calibre player with some more consistent play. Looks like the AHL time did him some good. I'm not going to make any judgments based off one great game--I want to see strong play over an extended period of time before I can jump on the Gaudette bandwagon.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:44 PM, The Great Canucks said:

You and the three people that upvoted are wrong on this one.  Dead wrong.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Stud.  No need to send him down any longer, he is an NHL player...

Could not disagree more ! AG must return to Utica if the 'nucks are out of the post season race ! Look how much he soaked up during his recent stint there. Being part of a Utica playoff run is exactly what he should be involved in !

• Upvote 4

Gaudette is exactly who I said he was...a high end 3rd line centre with upside....Sutter is a mid-grade 3rd line checking centre with aging downside...

Sutter's time here is almost over, while I think he is a bit better than Beagle at a few things, for the most part Beagle brings more of what we need and at a cheaper price.

As I said before...with both Gaudette and MacEwen able to play centre ...we just don't need Sutter as much as we need another 2nd round pick or high level  prospect.

If not at the trade deadline then in the summer...Sutter gets traded.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I've been one of the more critical ones of Gaudette from almost the get-go, as I haven't seen any signs of a true NHL player yet. Fans calling for Gaudette to replace Sutter are massively underrating what Sutter brings, particularly his defense and Gaudette hasn't been amazing defensively and very poor offensively.

However...all that said, Gaudette has 2 goals and 1 assist in his last three games. If he continues this kind of play, my tune will change. I'll still claim that fans underrate what Sutter brings, but I'd be thrilled if Gaudette can show that he's actually an NHL-calibre player with some more consistent play. Looks like the AHL time did him some good. I'm not going to make any judgments based off one great game--I want to see strong play over an extended period of time before I can jump on the Gaudette bandwagon.

Times have changed; Sutter is increasingly fragile and decreasingly effective.  Gaudette is still healthy and increasingly effective at both ends of the rink.  Time to accept that this is a rebuilding team to which Sutter has precious little value, and Gaudette has been showing 200 foot intensity and an increasing ability to generate offence.  Sutter has to to make room for progress, if he brings a return great,if not, we will need the cap space he represents.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Could not disagree more ! AG must return to Utica if the 'nucks are out of the post season race ! Look how much he soaked up during his recent stint there. Being part of a Utica playoff run is exactly what he should be involved in !

Well of course if the Canucks are out of the playoffs you can certainly send Gaudette down for the rest of the Utica season.  After that though he stays with the big club.  Benning can figure out what to do with Sutter in the summer...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1