The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

Excited about Gaudette. I don't expect him to be a 60 or 70 point player but I think he will be a solid NHL player. 

This is a good example of why it is good to pick-up free assets and flip them for picks. 

We got Weise off waviers, traded him for Diaz (who was a free agent signing for Montreal). We then flipped Diaz for a 5th that ended up being Gaudette.

Montreal then traded Weise for Danault and a 2nd round pick. Danault is a young 40 point centre for the Canadians - plus they get another shot in the next draft. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

....and Leipsic is an example when flipping a free asset for a prospect makes just as much sense.   It takes a mix - just having picks will not lead to success.   Having a good balance will.

Wasn't complaining about Leipsic - another example of moving a free asset for a young asset with potential. 

1 minute ago, canucklehead44 said:

Wasn't complaining about Leipsic - another example of moving a free asset for a young asset with potential. 

No problem, just seen a wave of people lately complaining when a pick isn't coming back from a move.   I like picks - picks are great.  They are not everything though.   Ask Edmonton!

34 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Where is Brady on that list?   

16 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Quinton Hughes not there too. starting to question this source

It looks to be only drafted prospects that are currently in the NCAA. Hughes is currently outscoring Makar, who's 20th on the list; there's no way he'd be left off if it included everyone. 

• Upvote 1

On 2018-03-05 at 7:01 PM, SergioMomesso said:

Man I’m so excited for all of our top prospects to make the jump. We’ve never had a talent pool where a bunch of our guys are the best players in their respective leagues. For the last 2 decades I can remember getting pumped up for one or two guys coming up the pipeline but never an entire line or two. Add another top 5 pick and let’s hope to be a contender in 2-4 years. 

Don’t enjoy being a dark cloud, but we won’t be a contender until we have a defence worthy of the name.  Even a quick look at our assets on defence tells us that that is still years away - without an unlikely run of good luck or a miraculous couple of trades that brings us great values at near zero cost.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Don’t enjoy being a dark cloud, but we won’t be a contender until we have a defence worthy of the name.  Even a quick look at our assets on defence tells us that that is still years away - without an unlikely run of good luck or a miraculous couple of trades that brings us great values at near zero cost.

a really good college signing could also help speed up the rebuild process

Northeastern (Gaudette) to play Massachusetts in the East Division conference Quarter Finals (best of 3). Northeastern got a bye into the Quarters.

Win-Win, if NE loses, we might see Gaudette sooner than later; if NE wins, then Gaudette keeps his National Championship dream alive.

Games March 9 and 10 (this weekend)...if a 3rd game is needed, then the game will be played on March 11.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

Northeastern (Gaudette) to play Massachusetts in the East Division conference Quarter Finals (best of 3). Northeastern got a bye into the Quarters.

Win-Win, if NE loses, we might see Gaudette sooner than later; if NE wins, then Gaudette keeps his National Championship dream alive.

Games March 9 and 10 (this weekend)...if a 3rd game is needed, then the game will be played on March 11.

Hope this game is televised :D  

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I am still hoping that McEneny can come back after his injury this season. Of all those not in Vancouver I had him at 2nd only to Joulevi. I am sure he would have got games in Van if not injured. 

Agreed, he's been producing well, is good defensively and somewhat physical. Unfortunately he requires waivers next year so Im really hoping he makes the team out of camp.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Agreed, he's been producing well, is good defensively and somewhat physical. Unfortunately he requires waivers next year so Im really hoping he makes the team out of camp.

He required waivers this year too fwiw. Either way, we've derailed AG's thread enough lol

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

On 3/7/2018 at 2:54 AM, Ray_Cathode said:

On the other hand, winning the lottery and getting Dahlin suddenly takes care of that.  I know thats still a big IF.  But still, there is often surprises in D drafted later becoming top pairing guys.  A lot of good 2nd rounder have become elite defenseman : Subban, Weber, Keith, Josi.  There is also the option of pulling a Jones/Johansen trade if we have too many forwards.

Building a solid defense is harder than building a forward group...however if you make good decisions you can build it faster than forwards because there is only 6 spots.  Once you have that big #1 or a solid core of 2/3 guys like Nashville, its easy to build around, compared to having a McDavid and building a forward core around him.

Man, getting Dahlin would be awesome in itself, but I think he would do wonders for Juolevi too.  Olli could piggy back on a guy like him and instead of being the go-to guy, he would be in the shadow, doing his thing, which I think would suit him better.