The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

An ELC is merely the first SPC most players sign. The CBA section on ELCs refers to entry level deals as SPCs. Basically, an ELC is a type of SPC, if that makes sense.

So when the expansion terms refer to an age 20 or older player under an SPC, such as Gaudette, they are referring to his ELC.

Therefore, his first professional year will be the first year he plays 10 or more games while under the terms of his ELC.

If he signs a deal this week, which looks like what’s going to happen, there are not enough games remaining in the NHL season for him to reach 10 and have 2017-18 deemed his first professional year.

Had he gone to Utica on an ATO, and started his ELC in 2018-19, the AHL games in 2017-18 would be played under an ATO and not under an SPC (as his deal would have started next year in that scenario), so any AHL games played in 2017-18 would not have counted toward a professional year.

At least that’s my read on the situation.

Basically, either way, his first professional year should be 2018-19, when it comes to expansion.

As for the ELC itself, if he signs this week and joins Vancouver, he will use up (burn) one year (2017-18) and have two years remaining on his ELC when he starts next season. 

Thanks, I hope you're right!

I know Gaudette is a good looking prospect, but the adjustment to pro takes a while for most players. Would be great if we could allow him to develop at a reasonable pace whether that's in the AHL or NHL with no fear of losing him to expansion.

I hope he signs tomorrow, and we get the low down from management on his eligibility for the potential expansion just so we know 100% what is going on.

We should probably also temper our expectations for him. Lots of guys start slow in the NHL out of College.

JT Compher: 5 points in first 21 NHL games - 30/41 GP in the AHL

Mark Jankowski: 21/66 GP in the NHL - 2 years older
Kyle Connor: 5 points in first 20 games
Alex Kerfoot: 39 in 72GP - 2 years older 22.7 S%
Danton Heinen: at 21 NHL 0 in 8GP - 44 in 64GP AHL
Will Butcher: 37/74GP - 2 Years older, 17 PP points
Alex Tuch: 31/71 GP in the NHL after 1 full year in the AHL 
Alex Iafallo: 25/73 GP at age 24

Tyson Jost: 19/58 GP in NHL - 2 years younger
Jack Roslovic: Needed 1.5 years in the AHL - 12/29 GP in NHL now
Anders Bjork: 12/30GP NHL

Tage Thompson: 9/37 GP in the NHL 1 year younger

4 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Mine is 

1) Dahlin
2) Svech
3) Zadina
4) Boqvist
5) Wahlstrom
6) Tkachuk 
7) Hughes
8) Bouchard
9) Dobson
10) Smith

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!  :towel:

Dang bro, not just the same ten, the same ten in the same order...

• Upvote 1

^^^  Although I really like Dobson!  He's my first candidate to move up...

PS & on topic; hope upon hope we sign Gaudette 1st for the AHL balance of the season.  I will be very excited to see him for a few games with the Nucks if that is the decision?

But hope it starts in Utica!  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Horvat aside, as fun as it is to watch those guys, they still have a ways to go before they're as good as Baertschi or Pouliot or (insert name of NHL'er acquired with or instead of draft picks.)

Ill take gaudette over both baertschi and puoliot. 

No one is "against" picks but JB looks to have a good record with the ones he's used and obviously knows their value as much as anyone when making moves.  He clearly keeps enough to get the guys his team is targeting.

Not really. No one knows value as you can’t predict who’s still around in he next round. “Why isn’t anyone taking Lind?”

also so guadette was a Gillis pick, gadj was a torts firing. So really in over 4 years we got 4 players (3 trades, McCann too) selected from acquired picks. 4 if you consider lookwood who was the result of us reacquiring a pick we traded away prior. 

It's the constant griping and the take that draft picks are the only avenue to rebuilding that prompt the percentage comment and it's perfectly valid - sometimes there's more value in an older prospect. 

I don’t think I’ve heard people ever say draft picks are the ONLY avenue. Just the most important and most successful way to build a competitive team. Our people really against good hockey trades like hunter for granny or holm for Leipsic?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

also so guadette was a Gillis pick, gadj was a torts firing. So really in over 4 years we got 4 players (3 trades, McCann too) selected from acquired picks. 4 if you consider lookwood who was the result of us reacquiring a pick we traded away prior. 

Guadette was indeed a Benning Pick. Gadjovich was a 2nd for Blue Jackets Hiring Torts, if we got a second every time we fired a coach... I know what you were getting at

Edited by Sedinery33

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ill take gaudette over both baertschi and puoliot. 

Not really. No one knows value as you can’t predict who’s still around in he next round. “Why isn’t anyone taking Lind?”

I don’t think I’ve heard people ever say draft picks are the ONLY avenue. Just the most important and most successful way to build a competitive team. Our people really against good hockey trades like hunter for granny or holm for Leipsic?

Is he signed yet?  Did I miss the memo?

11 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Gillis traded Diaz at the deadline to NYR... Benefits of acquiring picks....

During a rebuild picks are a must.  Each one is a chance at a future core piece.  This kid appears to be a “Golden Ticket”. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yes and no. I'd take Dahlen with a couple of years of post-draft experience over a 2nd round pick any day. Goldy too. 

Gaudette is a found wallet, you almost never get a 5th rounder with his potential. No one won a cup stockpiling 5th rounders. 

Sure a few more picks would have been nice but would it make that much difference to the elite player potential on the team? In all likelihood not. 

Any cup winners build their team through trades?  Rebuild through the draft by gaining picks, the tinker with the parts collected to create the best team.  Did Dhalen cost us a pick?  I thought we got him for Burrows only?