The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

Great news!

Have a feeling he’ll look great with JV, and could help get the most from him. 

Me too.  I could see a line next season with Gaudette centering Leipsic and Virtanen.  They would score, and be a pain in the a$$ to play against.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Correction: contrary to several previous posts I’ve made, it appears 2017-18 will[/] be considered Gaudette’s first professional year (re: expansion)

The long explanation is inside the spoiler

Hide contents

So with all the inconsistencies in the information, I decided to dig into the expansion issue a bit. 

It appears that, contrary to my previous interpretation, Gaudette will need to be protected in the coming expansion draft.

There’s no source available on the specific reasons why, and the terms that are available suggest it should not be the case:

Several similar sources quote the 10 game requirement for a professional year. But it appears that this requirement is not actually applicable to age 20 and over players (even though some really good sources have suggested it is applicable to age 20+ players).

Frustrating when the rules aren’t what they appear to be.

But it would seem that Gaudette will have completed his 3rd pro year by 2020 and will therefore require protection.

Ryan Biech confirmed this today. He didn’t provide any source material or examples however.

And since this bothered me and left a hint of doubt in my mind, I’ve tracked down an example from the last expansion draft.

Example: Kyle Baun

Baun signed a 2014-15 effective contract with Chicago on March 25th, 2017. He only played 3 games that season. And then he played full seasons in 2015-16 and 2016-17, mostly in the AHL.

According to the terms that have been repeatedly cited over the last week, Baun’s 2014-15 season should not have been counted as a professional year, as he only played 3 games (which is less than 10).

Nonetheless, Baun was exposed and available for the 2017 expansion draft.

So it would appear that there is no minimum number of games required for a professional season during an age 20+ player’s contract.

Which means Gaudette looks to fall into the same category and Baun did.

2017-18 will count as Gaudette’s first professional year, just as 2014-15 was considered Baun’s first professional year (even though he only played 3 games)

So even though the terms available publicly seem to indicate this season should not count as a professional year for Gaudette, the past example of Baun shows that it most likely will.

I’d imagine the detailed expansion guidelines (available to NHL clubs) explain the discrepancy, but unfortunately those don’t seen to be available publicly.

Either that or the public information (which seems to track back originally to General Fanager) was a flawed interpretation of the expansion terms released by the NHL.

Thats a good explanation, thanks sid.

People need to keep in mind though that the expansion draft is not guaranteed(for 2020), and that the rules for next expansion draft wont be tweaked a little.

Things can change so who knows what happens.

Also this shouldn't be to big a worry for us as we don't have a lot of important players to protect. Bo, Boeser, Virtanen, Gaudette, Baer(traded?), Granlund?, Goldy?, Leipsic?. Thats only 8 players with 4 of them being question marks with regards to whether they will even be here (or be NHL players). Lots of room to work with. 

Only way we will be in trouble for the expansion draft is if its it 2021 or 2022.

42 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Looking forward to seeing his competitiveness in the lineup - hope it rubs off!

Me too! :frantic:

Obviously I am excited about having the NCAA's leading scorer.  But I'm even more tickled about;

> Speeeeeed added to our line up! It will have a trickle down effect.

> Intensity, reports that he is the most insanely competitive guy? Never takes a shift off, gives up on a play. Bo on whoop!...

''Hey Goldobin, hurry up gawd $%^&# it!'' And don't lose your frickin %#*^% check! 

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Correction: contrary to several previous posts I’ve made, it appears 2017-18 will[/i] be considered Gaudette’s first professional year (re: expansion)

The long explanation is inside the spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

So with all the inconsistencies in the information, I decided to dig into the expansion issue a bit. 

It appears that, contrary to my previous interpretation, Gaudette will need to be protected in the coming expansion draft.

There’s no source available on the specific reasons why, and the terms that are available suggest it should not be the case:

Several similar sources quote the 10 game requirement for a professional year. But it appears that this requirement is not actually applicable to age 20 and over players (even though some really good sources have suggested it is applicable to age 20+ players).

Frustrating when the rules aren’t what they appear to be.

But it would seem that Gaudette will have completed his 3rd pro year by 2020 and will therefore require protection.

Ryan Biech confirmed this today. He didn’t provide any source material or examples however.

And since this bothered me and left a hint of doubt in my mind, I’ve tracked down an example from the last expansion draft.

Example: Kyle Baun

Baun signed a 2014-15 effective contract with Chicago on March 25th, 2017. He only played 3 games that season. And then he played full seasons in 2015-16 and 2016-17, mostly in the AHL.

According to the terms that have been repeatedly cited over the last week, Baun’s 2014-15 season should not have been counted as a professional year, as he only played 3 games (which is less than 10).

Nonetheless, Baun was exposed and available for the 2017 expansion draft.

So it would appear that there is no minimum number of games required for a professional season during an age 20+ player’s contract.

Which means Gaudette looks to fall into the same category and Baun did.

2017-18 will count as Gaudette’s first professional year, just as 2014-15 was considered Baun’s first professional year (even though he only played 3 games)

So even though the terms available publicly seem to indicate this season should not count as a professional year for Gaudette, the past example of Baun shows that it most likely will.

I’d imagine the detailed expansion guidelines (available to NHL clubs) explain the discrepancy, but unfortunately those don’t seen to be available publicly.

Either that or the public information (which seems to track back originally to General Fanager) was a flawed interpretation of the expansion terms released by the NHL.

Thanks Sid! Really appreciate the effort you put into your posts to get the info right.  Cheers!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Obviously I am excited about having the NCAA's leading scorer.  But I'm even more tickled about;

> Speeeeeed added to our line up! It will have a trickle down effect.

Further, Gaudette's play style lends to matching up against top players.  

He'll be the closest ''matchup'' centre we have to someone who can keep up to McDavid.  When do we play Edmonton next? 

I know, I know, am I ahead of myself?  Anyway, I can't wait! 

• Upvote 4

Wow, wow, I feel like I need to deflate multiple balloons around this thread.  

2nd line player... 

matching up with McDavid ... 

Bringing the best out of JV...  

You guys think this is basketball where a 19 year old can come in and dominate ?  

Let’s be happy if he wins some puck battles first.  

Lower your expectations people.

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

2nd line player... 

You guys think this is basketball where a 19 year old can come in and dominate ?  

You used to be fun...  :bored:  I am sure you were fun once?

And but gee whizz, sure you are being realistic. But signing day should be one where we can dream about what is in the guys potential.

Tomorrow I'll be a little more pragmatic like my boring normal self...

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

No problem. The whole thing’s been bugging me today so I wanted to dig around a bit. 

I found this old article and it still refers to the 10 games without referring to an age restriction. Very confusing.........

Prospects: All players with less than three years of professional experience are automatically exempt. That means young stars like Edmonton's Connor McDavid and Toronto's Auston Matthews don't need to be protected to remain with their teams. This provision also includes unsigned draft picks and signed players that have yet to appear in a NHL game. A year of professional experience is 10 pro games played under an NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/golden-knights-expansion-draft-explainer-1.4160845

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don’t disagree.  I’m for getting U 20s, like Dhalen too, providing they don’t cost us picks.  I was happy getting Goldy too.  They both had high ceilings, and potential to be core pieces.  I’m against moving out picks for guys 23 or older, who (our management said) have more to give.  IMHAO, those trades should be made (if ever) to tinker with an established core.  We haven’t established our next core yet.  

Gaudette is is the perfect example of why picks are important, especially during the rebuilding phase.  

and lightning striking - we're very lucky to be getting this kid into the mix.

I guess we'll see if Jim can load up on a few more picks soon enough. 

The first page of this thread is interesting to read. Lots of people were not high on this pick, but there were a few signs that he could be something special based on his performance at Thayer after playing for Tony Amonte. 

Glad to see him sign the contract and get a chance to prove himself once again at the next level.

I have a feeling we are going to see some great development from him year to year.

If he can get his skating to the level that Horvat has reached look out. That blow by speed is something he will need to develop at the NHL level. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Further, Gaudette's play style lends to matching up against top players.  

He'll be the closest ''matchup'' centre we have to someone who can keep up to McDavid.  When do we play Edmonton next? 

I know, I know, am I ahead of myself?  Anyway, I can't wait! 

I thought that was Cole cassels job??

12 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

2nd line player... 

Actually he is 21 and will be 22 at the start of next season. And to you I say. Just watch. I will not lower or temper my expectations or any other such nonsense. The guy has speed a deadly 1-timer and he will compete and go to the hard areas of the ice. It might take him a couple of games to get the hang of the NHL, but he will impress with his 5 game sample.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Actually he is 21 and will be 22 at the start of next season. And to you I say. Just watch. I will not lower or temper my expectations or any other such nonsense. The guy has speed a deadly 1-timer and he will compete and go to the hard areas of the ice. It might take him a couple of games to get the hang of the NHL, but he will impress with his 5 game sample.

...beat me to it...

AG is a lock....