The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Flames looking to make a deal, called about Stamkos

Am I the only one worried about Benning not possibly jumping all over this? I mean Stammer would cost a ton but he'd easily be Henrik's replacement, and give us a legitimate shot at contending in 2-3 years. 

So, what, we just force retire Hank and Dank? Or do you think that's any kind of return Tampa would actually want in a trade? How else would we fit him in while not decimating our other top players (think Horvat, Virtanen, McCann and Hutton, and I'm sure they'd like Edler).

Leafs are gonna dish out max contract to Stammer (7years, 11+million[with bonuses]). Yzerman can decide to not match and take his 3 first round picks, or make some cap room and match it.

? :huh:

Stamkos is a UFA at the end of the year!

He can go wherever he wants. Yzerman and the Bolts will get nothing more than cap relief as compensation...

Am I the only one worried about Benning not possibly jumping all over this? I mean Stammer would cost a ton but he'd easily be Henrik's replacement, and give us a legitimate shot at contending in 2-3 years. 

I am pretty sure most of CDC has thought about it lol. I highly doubt the Canucks have the assets to move for Stamkos based off of what their plan is it would make zero sense.

And Calgary will need to add much more quality and stop talking about " Wideman, Hudler " as options in a trade lol.

Stamkos will re-sign with the Lightning.

Calgary can throw them a Gaudreau and or a Bennett and prospects/picks.  Hell they can also lob in a Giordano if they want while Yzerman risks little.  Stammer doesn't re-sign Yzerman makes a fortune in return for him.  Stammer does re-sign Yzerman has a top 5 player in this league

Calgary or Toronto can also simply throw money at him right now with their available space.  We cannot.  Sorry, there might...MIGHT be a deal between the bolts and flames, but we're not even in the same arena if teams seriously want to make a play at Stamkos

Toronto will never trade Reilly. I remember at the 2012 draft, Burke said he would have taken him first overall if the Leafs had gotten it. He's not there anymore, but I think that mentality has stayed. Kid is 21 plays like he's 27.

Not for 10 1st round picks.... something else I remember Burke saying.... about Luke Schenn.

Silly discussion in any event.

If Stamkos was dealt to the Leafs, he wouldn't walk on July 1st.... he'd run.

Why would Tampa accept a deal around "18 year old"? 

They're in the midst of contending.  That's a retool deal.  Bennett is not ready to help them contend.

Imo Calgary would have to give up a player that is already productive - Monahan or Gaudreau, a prospect like Poirier, and a 1st.

This sounds more like motivation for Stamkos to re-sign than an imminent possibility.  'You're going to Calgary' might be enough to get Stamkos to recommit.

If I'm Calgary, I probably don't give up those kind of pieces and take that risk..  They're still not a very good puck possession team - imo they have a bit more work to do before making this kind of move.  If they were closer to contending, maybe.  Dougie Hamiliton isn't quite as refined as they may have hoped - he's stumbled, and in the absence of Brodie, they've been somewhat exposed.   I liked the addition of Frolik and think their bottom 6 can be difficult to play against, but otherwise, they're still a work in progress and I don't see the timing as making a whole lot of sense - unless they were to pull it off for primarily futures (Bennett++) and I just don't think that's going to happen.

Stamkos is a UFA at the end of the year and I read somewhere that he has a No Trade Clause

I highly doubt he would waive to go to Alberta.

but... Id love to see FLames trade one chinup Bennett plus more for a 2015-2016 rental that will end up signing somewhere else. 

Why would Tampa accept a deal around "18 year old"? 

They're in the midst of contending.  That's a retool deal.  Bennett is not ready to help them contend.

Imo Calgary would have to give up a player that is already productive - Monahan or Gaudreau, a prospect like Poirier, and a 1st.

This sounds more like motivation for Stamkos to re-sign than an imminent possibility.  'You're going to Calgary' might be enough to get Stamkos to recommit.

If I'm Calgary, I probably don't give up those kind of pieces and take that risk..  They're still not a very good puck possession team - imo they have a bit more work to do before making this kind of move.  If they were closer to contending, maybe.  Dougie Hamiliton isn't quite as refined as they may have hoped - he's stumbled, and in the absence of Brodie, they've been somewhat exposed.   I liked the addition of Frolik and think their bottom 6 can be difficult to play against, but otherwise, they're still a work in progress and I don't see the timing as making a whole lot of sense - unless they were to pull it off for primarily futures (Bennett++) and I just don't think that's going to happen.

Very good summary.

In proposals Weber (in Nashville) was suggested as a straight up trade lure for Stamkos. I made the comment that Johnson / Filppula / Kilorn / Boyle / Namestinikov, while promising, did not look like a line up down the middle that could bring them back to the finals. Nor would 19 year old Bennett; I agree again. Monahan, IMO, would have to be included. And then I cant see how adding enough stuff around Monahan does not strip Calgary to the point it defeats the purpose.

read my next post

Correction noted; sorry

stampkos is not going to flames, tampa will resign him or he will be traded to leafs. Id say hes a leaf 80-90 percent chance by the deadline  stevie y will want a bucketload of assets   try  van reimsdyk one of ( nylander, kapanen) 2 firsts  and leafs will pay gladly  Watch tampa  win like 5 cups in a row if they got a package like that.  Its the modern day lindros avs flyers trade 

While I can see the Flames making a move, I doubt Yzerman losses Stamkos. It's true that Stammer might not want to play in Tampa, but I still think there's a strong chance he re-signs with Yzerman at the helm.

Saying that, if Yzerman was to move him, a Monahan package would be pretty tempting. Monahan had 31 goals himself last year and only 10 points fewer than Stammer and can handle the C role. Mohanan + another good player + a 1st would be a pretty competitive package IMO.

Stammer would also be the ultimate key to Hartley's coaching success. In Col he had Sakic scoring 54 goals, in Atlanta he relied heavily on Kovalchuk to come back and win games. He needs that one sniper who can control the speed of the game, and his kind of reckless-high-intensity-offense-first system works much better. 

I really really doubt Stammer gets moved, but if he does, a Monahan package will be one of the most competitive. 

Archived