The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pass the torch to Markstorm already

desiboynux4lifee*******

On 2015-12-21 at 9:19 AM, smokes said:

Eddie Lack is a great goaltender. The problem is that the Hurricanes are using him wrong. He's a in the blue goaltender and the Hurricains are changing his style to e aggressive on the charge. Some goalies go through a suck phase before they figure out how to adapt to a whole new goaltending style. 

Eddie is great in the sense that becoming an average or better NHL goaltender is a great achievement.

I agree that his coaching in Carolina is a problem and don't think the Marcoux style fits Lack physically.  Lack is tall and not overly quick, so while he may adapt somewhat, it wouldn't be surprising if he has a lengthy struggle and ultimately doesn't succeed in Carolina.  He may well continue to be susceptible to dekes and passes to the side of the net.

I think Markstrom's twin towers on his shoulder pads are going to be banned next year, I'm surprised he gets away with those. Reminds me of Giguerre before the rules changed and then Giguerre turned into a pylon.

I am a firm believer of the #1 goalie school of thought but since watching Lack become fatigued and losing his edge last year and then seeing Miller do the same this year, I am thinking the back up should be taking more share of the load of games. Markstrom has shown much improvement this year and I am confident he can handle playing more games down the stretch.

I know he let in 5 tonight, but it's hard to fault him on most of them, some he didn't see, and others he had no chance on.  So forgetting this game tonight, in which the Canucks provided NO goal support, and he made some great saves, he has played well and has better numbers than Miller.  Yes it's a small sample size, but the thing most seem to forget, almost all his games [except for these last stretch where he is only playing back to back games because of Miller's injury] he is coming in cold, and this is a lot more of an ask when you can never get in any rhythm, something Miller enjoys.  I wonder what Millers numbers would be if he played once every two weeks, a lot worse I suspect despite being fresher.

Now I am not wishing anything bad for Miller, but can't help but hope he is out for a few more weeks so we can really get a good look at Marstrom while giving him the opportunity to play on a regular basis.  He needs to get the experience if he is to be our future starting goalie, because God knows that 'win now at all costs' Willy will never do it voluntarily, because he is coaching to keep his job, not for future, which sometimes means sacrificing now for the long game.

2 hours ago, Lui's Knob said:

Problem with markstrom is he makes a glorious save then let's in a couple softies minutes later. Would of been happy with Schneider and lack combo... :/ this team really botches their goalies of the future

Nonsense.

• 2 weeks later...

question now is can Miller match Markstorms stellar play? Markstorm gave this team to win every nite other then that horrible LA game. Credit is due, tonight Markstorm made how many saves in the 3rd, robbed Jagr, made a huge save on 3 on 1 (thanks weber  for that turn over) anyhow he does need to improve his glove hand still but I argue I don't see Miller playing any better then Markstorm. 

Markstorm has set the bar pretty high for Miller.

2 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

question now is can Miller match Markstorms stellar play? Markstorm gave this team to win every nite other then that horrible LA game. Credit is due, tonight Markstorm made how many saves in the 3rd, robbed Jagr, made a huge save on 3 on 1 (thanks weber  for that turn over) anyhow he does need to improve his glove hand still but I argue I don't see Miller playing any better then Markstorm. 

Markstorm has set the bar pretty high for Miller.

I doubt Miller get hit that bar, Markstrom is a beast he proved in the ahl and now is showing it in the NHL on what we are right now an average team.  I can only imagine Markstrom on a really good team, I think it's save to say we have a goalie that we can count on once again night in and out  I have faith once again like I did when we had Lu and Schneider.  

We also have to consider that Luongo and Schneider when they were here had a much better team in front of them, while right now we definitely don't have the same we are winning a lot of games with Markstrom being the likely the biggest reason why,   

4 minutes ago, BoneOzone said:

I hear ya for sure I think J.M is good for Van Canucks , BUT  !!!  J.M needs some PRO Goalie tweeking , he has been a little weak in the stop the puck department, JUST SAYING       with out a the puck stopping goalie  !!!!  your just calk drawing at a crime scene , JUST SAYIN

Siv. a goalie in hockey who lets in a lot of goals. "I'm not drafting that horrible goalie, he's a siv!" "Dude, that goalie let in 8 goals in one period! He's such asiv!".

I don't know what the hell you're saying.

Archived