The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik "Stone Hands" Hansen

Drewismyname

At least when the canucks lose, you can see Hansen still hustling and giving it his all. He does not have the best hands, but that is not his role in the NHL. He will have a couple hot streaks a season, then go back to being a great energy player. Out of all the vets, I would keep him and the Sedins, the rest can go. 

I love how everyone thinks that the Sedins would do amazing with a bonafide #1 winger superstar.  History has taught us that the Sedins are at their best when they have a more grinder type player on their wing, look at their most successful linemates: Klatt, Carter, Burrows, now Hansen.  The Sedins need someone to compliment their play with a more hard nosed style with a decent shot (which all but Klatt have).

The problem with having a Superstar with them is that he will always want the puck and that makes the line predictable because the Sedins are all too happy to give it up to him more often than not.  The Twins work their magic by having a ton of options, by throwing a "gimme the puck and I shoot" star on their line you effectively cap their options at 1.  That's why players labelled as "3rd line grinders" do very well with those two, they don't let their ego get in the way, and it allows them to explore their creativity while working hard to create space for the Twins.

1 hour ago, snipes2539 said:

The problem with having a Superstar with them is that he will always want the puck and that makes the line predictable because the Sedins are all too happy to give it up to him more often than not. 

That's essentially what Henrik said in an interview early this year re Vrbata - lowers Danny's effectiveness as a scorer because they both were trying to feed Radim -  first option for Hank, and when he did pass to Danny, he tried to feed Vrbata as well.

I've always been a Hansen fan.

But what cemented it was game 7 against the Bruins in 2011. We were down, and most of the team had all been given up. But Hansen started going all crazy-honey-badgery. Some people criticized him for taking a penalty, but not me. Most of the team looked mopey and distraught...but this guy was MAD, and was only going to go down scratching and clawing.

1 hour ago, snipes2539 said:

I love how everyone thinks that the Sedins would do amazing with a bonafide #1 winger superstar.  History has taught us that the Sedins are at their best when they have a more grinder type player on their wing, look at their most successful linemates: Klatt, Carter, Burrows, now Hansen.  The Sedins need someone to compliment their play with a more hard nosed style with a decent shot (which all but Klatt have).

The problem with having a Superstar with them is that he will always want the puck and that makes the line predictable because the Sedins are all too happy to give it up to him more often than not.  The Twins work their magic by having a ton of options, by throwing a "gimme the puck and I shoot" star on their line you effectively cap their options at 1.  That's why players labelled as "3rd line grinders" do very well with those two, they don't let their ego get in the way, and it allows them to explore their creativity while working hard to create space for the Twins.

This being said:  Who would be the ultimate fantasy, banger-grinder-with-skill, Sedin complimenting right winger playing in the NHL today?

Perry?

Hossa?

Wheeler?

Stone hands and average skills for sure, but his hockey IQ and speed is absolutely awesome and that is what makes him the player he is. He isn't your prototypical third liner that looks to dump it in and grind it out. He reads off of the twins very well and he plays to his strengths while he's with them, and that's what makes him so effective with them. He is been an absolute monster without the puck with his constant pressure

Archived