The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Recall] Canucks Recall Biega

Ossi Vaananen

If the Canucks win this game tonight with Pedan or Biega on the D and their defensive game looks better with them throughout the game.  I would like to think that Weber has played his final game as a D once injured players come back.   I would waive Weber so I would keep either one of Pedan or Biega stay on the team when the team is fully healthy and go from there to rebuild our D and turn around from that point on. 

16 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

If the Canucks win this game tonight with Pedan or Biega on the D and their defensive game looks better with them throughout the game.  I would like to think that Weber has played his final game as a D once injured players come back.   I would waive Weber so I would keep either one of Pedan or Biega stay on the team when the team is fully healthy and go from there to rebuild our D and turn around from that point on. 

Based on one game huh?

It's going to be hilarious on CDC tomorrow if there is another loss tonight.

1 minute ago, RonMexico said:

I just like the new threads of original content after losses :rolleyes:. I am dying to know what new ideas would spawn if they lose back to backs.

In before 2 more "Fire WD" threads, 1 "McCann, do we really need him?" thread, and 1 "Move Weber to forward" thread....

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

Is your head in your butt a little to tight..a response with a normal tone would have been fine..not an arrogant answer like everyone is a dweeb except you.

"do you think he's complaining or asking these types of questions like we are on CDC?  I think not. "

You sure are a sensitive little fella aren't you?  Sure doesn't take much to get you all worked up over nothing.  You must be a little man to react to something so innocuous as my post...but whatever.  Carry on little dude.

1 hour ago, HK Phooey said:

You sure are a sensitive little fella aren't you?  Sure doesn't take much to get you all worked up over nothing.  You must be a little man to react to something so innocuous as my post...but whatever.  Carry on little dude.

Now there you go again...making assumptions ,but we will leave it at that.

I have always liked Biega when he has played for us, yes he is smaller but he competes, I thought he had an effective game last night. Wouldnt be opposed to seeing him play a stretch of games. Pedan on the back end would bring the size element we need, using him as a forward last night he saw very limited ice in a role he was not accustomed too.

We have Hamhuis, Weber, Bartkowski as pending ufa on the regular d core. I still think we should try to retain hamhuis if he signs for a reasonable cap hit, help mentor Hutton and any young d men over the next couple years. But we should look at moving 1 or both of the other guys by the deadline. If we continue to play similar to this we wont be near a playoff spot come trade deadline I dont think. Just cant expect teams to falter all year.

I remember thinking Biega was the player who impressed me the most after watching him play live here in Edmonton in the preseason. Not the flashiest player, but always making the smart play, always competing hard, always getting his shots in on guys in our end and getting in their kitchen. Now he's showing that he can do it when it counts. Kids a player, and playing at Harvard you'd have to think he's got a pretty good head on his shoulders too. I for one hope he sticks, we need what he brings to the table.  

Well, with Hamhuis's injury, this could be Biega's time to really make a mark on the lineup. Personally, I'd rather have him over Weber. I think having Weber as the 7/8 guy is fine, but anything more gets a little risky -- especially if he shows up in your top 4. With Hamhuis down for the count, it would be nice to see Pedan get a real shot on the Canucks blueline in the interm. Hell, from what I've heard, Ashton Saunter is getting steadily better. Maybe give him a shot? More of a longshot but could be worth it in the long haul (give Saunter, like Pedan, a little NHL experience now... could pay off later).

On December 2, 2015 at 12:15:43 PM, Fred65 said:
  • If you watch Biega can any identify what he does wrong ?  I've seen no sign. Frankly he's an improvement on a number of players who play on a regular basis.  Still we can only wonder what Corrado would look like today :)

Yes Corrado is lighting up the press box in Toronto. I have no idea what the Leafs are doing. They get him off waivers then never play him. Basically I think Toronto took him off waivers not to grab a player but to tick off our team. 

4 hours ago, samurai said:

Losing hammer is big, and I would expect Fedun gets the call, he's been the best D in Utica.  Anyone but Weber.

I posted this in another thread:

. . . Right now like most rookies Subban thinks he is Bobby Orr and can do it all.  Occasionally he looks like it and skates through three guys.  More often he looks like a cone.  Subban is right where he belongs.  Getting good minutes and coaching.  If he gets his D together, you are right on that he would be a good PP QB.  

The guy who could surprise on D is Pedan.  He is 10-15 pounds and another year away from the NHL probably, but he has range, size, can skate and is creative.  But he needs to stay healthy (concussions).  If pressed into service in Van he will do OK this year, but ideally he would be in Utica another full year playing big minutes, running PP, playing PK and controlling the crease.  

Cant quite figure out Fedun.  Is his skating good enough?  Is he physical enough?  He had a couple of games where I thought, OK I see why he has a contract, then a couple games where I think he is career AHLer.  

I read an article from a year or two ago, and they used Fedun as a comparison for a "high quality AHL defenseman". Haven't really seen him play much. I might catch Utica on Sunday as I live in Toronto.

I would like to see Pedan get some games in. On paper he is golden - 9 points, +7, 43PIM in 18 games. But Fedun has a slightly even more impressive stat line. 

Pedan is 22. I would hope he gets at least 5 or 6 games in this year. Plays 20-40 games next year, and is a full-time NHLer at 24.I would like to see the numbers on it, but just from following hockey closely over the past 16 years I've noticed that if a player doesn't make it by 24 (at least for most of the season) it is hard for them to crack the league as a 25 year old. I would make exceptions for college players, and add a year to that since they might be 25 with only two years of AHL experience. 

Archived