The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] WCE Night | Canucks 5 | Refs+Sabres 2 | Vrby Hatty

TheRussianRocket.

Everyone was brilliant tonight.

Sedins were passing fantastically, a couple of off-passes by Henrik but they were absolutely clicking and dynamite on those powerplays against what looked like a very passive Buffalo PK. Nice goal by Henrik too. Hansen is slowly cooling off it seems, I'd like to get Vbrata up there if we go in another drought.

2nd line was magic tonight, anywhere McCann goes he makes other players around him better. He was good tonight but Higgins and obviously Vbrata rose to the occasion. Super gritty game by Higgins caused that first goal, McCann with some nice subtle plays but Vbrata was fantastic tonight on his own, his skill really came through against a shoddy defence and B-grade goalie. Hopefully this is the start of something.

Third line wasn't very good in my books, Horvat and Burrows were solid defensively albeit against pathetic forwards, but they were good at clearing the puck out of their own zone which is a plus. Baertschi's stupid drop pass looked bad but that was a lovely back-check by him defensively so IMO he's a sawn-off even.

The fourth line really came through offensively. They've been consistently putting in the effort and generating nice cycles but tonight they broke out from the cycle into a scoring area which is that key click that makes them dangerous. Cracknell needs to stay on this team, he's been our most consistent hard working Richardson-like forward this year. Prust and Dorsett combined for a couple of nice chances including the goal but lets see how they do against a tough Rangers defence. That's the sort of game we need them to grind the opposing defencemen down over time.

Defensively we had the good and the bad. Bartkowski with a couple of bad mistakes, which was odd considering how good he had been the last 3 games. Edler and Tanev looked good but everyone else did against a pathetic Buffalo offence. Biega is looking fantastic so far and better as the games go on. He's good positionally, surprisingly strong along the boards for such a small guy and is good at the box-out and physical play. He's been nicknamed a "bulldog" in Utica and you can see why. Biega has to stick until he has a couple of bad games IMO. I ragged on him a lot before but he's playing like an NHLer now.

Sedins were passing fantastically, a couple of off-passes by Henrik but they were absolutely clicking and dynamite on those powerplays against what looked like a very passive Buffalo PK. Nice goal by Henrik too. Hansen is slowly cooling off it seems, I'd like to get Vbrata up there if we go in another drought.

2nd line was magic tonight, anywhere McCann goes he makes other players around him better. He was good tonight but Higgins and obviously Vbrata rose to the occasion. Super gritty game by Higgins caused that first goal, McCann with some nice subtle plays but Vbrata was fantastic tonight on his own, his skill really came through against a shoddy defence and B-grade goalie. Hopefully this is the start of something.

Third line wasn't very good in my books, Horvat and Burrows were solid defensively albeit against pathetic forwards, but they were good at clearing the puck out of their own zone which is a plus. Baertschi's stupid drop pass looked bad but that was a lovely back-check by him defensively so IMO he's a sawn-off even.

The fourth line really came through offensively. They've been consistently putting in the effort and generating nice cycles but tonight they broke out from the cycle into a scoring area which is that key click that makes them dangerous. Cracknell needs to stay on this team, he's been our most consistent hard working Richardson-like forward this year. Prust and Dorsett combined for a couple of nice chances including the goal but lets see how they do against a tough Rangers defence. That's the sort of game we need them to grind the opposing defencemen down over time.

Defensively we had the good and the bad. Bartkowski with a couple of bad mistakes, which was odd considering how good he had been the last 3 games. Edler and Tanev looked good but everyone else did against a pathetic Buffalo offence. Biega is looking fantastic so far and better as the games go on. He's good positionally, surprisingly strong along the boards for such a small guy and is good at the box-out and physical play. He's been nicknamed a "bulldog" in Utica and you can see why. Biega has to stick until he has a couple of bad games IMO. I ragged on him a lot before but he's playing like an NHLer now.

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

It's glitching on you

this has been posted 4 times. Happened to me yesterday....

WOW!  What a night!   It just makes me realize how much the WCE line meant to me and how much I miss them.  I don't remember when I became a Season Ticket Holder it was so very long ago, but I used to sit behind Nazzy's wife and three kids for two years and we had the time of our lives.  They were so friendly and I remember spending half of my time just playing with the kids in the arena because I am just a big kid myself. 

I had a sign that said:   NAZZY WE SAVED U A SEAT with a ticket on it and well I was fairly confident that he would join us and he "sort of did" as he was interviewed close to where we were sitting.

ALL grown up now.jpg

The ONE and ONLY.jpg

Just now, Fanaholic said:

WOW!  What a night!   It just makes me realize how much the WCE line meant to me and how much I miss them.  I don't remember when I became a Season Ticket Holder it was so very long ago, but I used to sit behind Nazzy's wife and three kids for two years and we had the time of our lives.  They were so friendly and I remember spending half of my time just playing with the kids in the arena because I am just a big kid myself. 

I had a sign that said:   NAZZY WE SAVED YOU A SEAT with a ticket on it and well I was fairly confident that he would join us and he "sort of did" as he was interviewed close to where we were sitting.

ALL grown up now.jpg

The ONE and ONLY.jpg

Saw you on the jumbotron! Great sign! :towel:

Lots of positives to take from this one, most importantly, IMO, the production from someone other than the Twins. Prust and Vrby both mentioned that they needed some scoring balance if they were going to be successful and last night was a step in the right direction.

Agree with those applauding the promotion of Biega over Weber. I've been one of the few defending Yannick in the past, but if he's not contributing offensively, I think there are better options on the back end. (Although if Bart has a few more games like last night, it might be his turn to sit)

Miller looked good. Hopefully he starts to roll. I still think the team needs to be able to trust Markstrom every fifth night, though. Hopefully that happens.

Bring on the Rags!

21 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

I feel like im the only one not pumped about besting a bottom feeder team on the second night of their back to back at home. Just proves to me that we're bad bot not bottom 5 bad. 

Nope.  You're not the only one 

I'm in here reading all the cheerleader posts shaking my head knowing what they wrote two games ago....

We beat the Sabres....the frigging Sabres.  And people are still harping on the refs.  That's like planning a parade route after beating the Oilers

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Nope.  You're not the only one 

I'm in here reading all the cheerleader posts shaking my head knowing what they wrote two games ago....

We beat the Sabres....the frigging Sabres.  And people are still harping on the refs.  That's like planning a parade route after beating the Oilers

Thank god. Thought i was alone on that one.  Like hey if we beat the rangers tomorrow I'll be impressed. As for last nights game, it was a game that we were expected to win. It even crossed my mind that they scheduled WCE night on a game we knew we could win.

Personally im more excited about the vrbata hat trick.  Hopefully he's upped his value. I want him gone by deadline. 

I was at the game and didn't really think about what hat I was wearing to the game, it was one of my fave hats too, until I got there and Vrbata scored 2 goals.  My friend said watch out number three is coming.  Hah!  When Vrby scored that 3rd goal, there was no hesitation, I llaunched that hat over the balcony level with as much gusto as I could too!  Glad to see the other fans do the same and saw so many hats on the ice compared to the last time a Canuck scored a hat trick and only 2 or 3 hats made it to the ice.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I agree with most of what has been said above. We seemed to rediscover the form that pumped Chicago and as I said at the time that is the team I think we are.

For me it is simple, when every man gives his all, keeping it simple and maintaining a high tempo we are a match for anyone.

Just a couple of things. I have pleaded for Biega to be part of our defence since the start of the season, why? because he plays it simple and when in doubt he plays the man. There was 2 or 3 classic instances of it against the Sabres. 

That is old school and for me at any rate the only way for any small D to play. Weber could learn much from watching Biega, they all could.

Lastly a word for Baertschi. I have been one of his fiercest critics and I make no apology for that based on how he has played most nights.

However I enjoyed his game against Buffalo, he was involved, made some good outlet passes and an amazing defensive save diving full length to knock the puck away after Bartowski (?) had been outpaced. He deserved a goal from that great chance laid on by Bo too.

It wasn't all plain sailing, he still falls back and tucks in behind the opposing player as they approach the boards and he still has a tendency to abandon the the puck if he sees a hit coming. These things still worry me but his level of performance o/a was much better.

Agree. Biega had a real solid stretch last spring. The Weber commitment came off his PP last spring as well. I would not be surprised if Weber moves back in as I suspect Benning will try to move him by the trade deadline. Baer has a limited op IMO as the Utica depth will press his TOI.

To me, this game was very nicely played but the only thing that matters is the next game. With the Westcoast express line out there tonight, the Canucks had to win this one. The Sedins played with them so obviously they were going to do well. Vrbata seems to have had a conversation with Naslund and hopefully if keeps going. With the atmosphere tonight, I would have seriously thrown in the towel if the players couldn't get up for this game. This game was a must. I'll be more impressed if they beat the Rangers.

Archived