The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jets Ladd, Buf + Trouba asking $152M

Mackcanuck

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/Ladd-Byfuglien-Trouba-asking-Jets-for-152M-in-contracts--361904251.html

Ladd, Byfuglien, Trouba asking Jets for $152M in contracts

The Winnipeg Jets are facing more than $152 million worth of future contract demands from three key players who are in expiring years of their contracts.

League and player sources have confirmed that Jets captain Andrew Ladd has asked for a six-year deal worth at least $41 million, that defenceman Dustin Byfuglien has requested $55 million over eight years and that defenceman Jacob Trouba wants more than $56 million over the maximum eight years allowed in the league’s CBA with its players.

It’s important to note that these numbers have been basically starting points from each of the player’s camps in their negotiations with the Jets.

Ladd is in the final year of a five-year, $22-million deal paying him $4.5 million this season. Byfuglien is in the final year of a five-year, $26-million deal paying him $6 million this season. Trouba is in the third and final year of his entry-level contract, making $832,500 in salary this year.

The team also has forwards Mark Scheifele and Adam Lowry in the final years of entry-level deals and goalie Michael Hutchinson, who will also be a restricted free agent next summer.

16 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I think Monty had a heart attack reading this report.

Nope, because...

5 minutes ago, Baka said:

Contracts are negotiated. Majority of players/agents ask for more than they expect to get. Just FYI

...of this.

I know agents "ask" for the large and settle for a mid range price

but I think that the NHL needs to step in and seriously start taking these agents to task for this crap.  3 players whose agents are asking for almost a 3rd of the teams entire net worth in contracts is absolutely absurd.

Trouba is a raw rookie and at that point hell Chevy call Snow and ask for Hamonic and a 2nd.

Byfuglien will not necessarily hand cuff a team with that demand but he at that size WILL slow down and go from productive to stay at home during the length of that contract thus negating the amount he is getting and becoming more of a monetary liability in contrast to his production at that amount

Ladd...sorry bud you were a passenger and a role player on a  cup winning team and haven't won squat since.  In no way shape or form should your agent be asking for that much cash for you.  you're a $6.2 million leader tops and that is absolutely beyond generous for your production because your intangibles, have yet to be seen.

In all honesty if these 3 players and their agents dig their feet in with these dollar amounts, bite the bullet and trade them for the best return you can obtain because nope, not a chance no way in hell are they worth the amount being asked by their agents.  even the median value of these guys with this amount as their starting point is almost laughable in the case of Trouba and Ladd.

Sorry, I know Monty won't be thrilled by my evaluation but these asking prices as starting points do more harm than good for the Jets.

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I know agents "ask" for the large and settle for a mid range price

but I think that the NHL needs to step in and seriously start taking these agents to task for this crap.  3 players whose agents are asking for almost a 3rd of the teams entire net worth in contracts is absolutely absurd.

Trouba is a raw rookie and at that point hell Chevy call Snow and ask for Hamonic and a 2nd.

Byfuglien will not necessarily hand cuff a team with that demand but he at that size WILL slow down and go from productive to stay at home during the length of that contract thus negating the amount he is getting and becoming more of a monetary liability in contrast to his production at that amount

Ladd...sorry bud you were a passenger and a role player on a  cup winning team and haven't won squat since.  In no way shape or form should your agent be asking for that much cash for you.  you're a $6.2 million leader tops and that is absolutely beyond generous for your production because your intangibles, have yet to be seen.

In all honesty if these 3 players and their agents dig their feet in with these dollar amounts, bite the bullet and trade them for the best return you can obtain because nope, not a chance no way in hell are they worth the amount being asked by their agents.  even the median value of these guys with this amount as their starting point is almost laughable in the case of Trouba and Ladd.

Sorry, I know Monty won't be thrilled by my evaluation but these asking prices as starting points do more harm than good for the Jets.

Nicely said.  If jets want to win a cup they might want to ship 2 of them off and start building around their young core. Buff at 6-6.5 for 4-5 years sure.

trouba is asking way to much. He's still unproven in terms of his consistency. He has lots more to give. Is Trouba rfa or ufa?

i want big buff in van.  He would stabilize our d.

As the economy worsens, pro sports scheisters will now publicize their wishes within groups? Hope they can 'hug-out' their collective fears.

Wouldn't mind seeing the general economy's house of cards come down, hoping that 'trickle up' damage will eventually affect societal-elites.

Have been talking this way(personally opposed to entertainment salaries, of this sorta' magnitude) since the early 90's. It's not sustainable much longer..Thank Gawd! How much longer will the hoi polloi be duped into overpriced ducats, for tainted 'bread & circuses'?..

Change is coming..which will probably resemble a harsh dose of reality.

So Ladd wants approx 7 mill per over 6 years and the other two want 7 mill per year over 7/8 years. Trouba is club controlled but other 2 are UFA. Teams always overpay UFAs in the summer. If Jets don't some other team will.

Don't see Jets retaining both Ladd and Buff. Sucks but it is what it is. 

The fact these numbers were leaked means Jets are preparing their fanbase to lose one or both of Ladd and Buff.

Ladd and Buf might, and I mean might, be worth a 1st round pick each to the right  (or desperate ) playoff team.  

Imagine Buf battling deep into the Western Conference playoffs?  That would be a sight to see him vs. LA or ANA!

Troubadour's situation has bridge contract written all over it.

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Ladd and Buf might, and I mean might, be worth a 1st round pick each to the right  (or desperate ) playoff team.  

Imagine Buf battling deep into the Western Conference playoffs?  That would be a sight to see him vs. LA or ANA!

Troubadour's situation has bridge contract written all over it.

Buff currently has 20 points in 30 games and is a +7. If/when he's traded, the Jets will get more than a 1st round pick. People on here think UFA's Vrbata and Hamhuis will get 1st round picks. If that's the case, which I'm not convinced at all is the case, then Buff is worth a first, and a high end prospect, based on his production and game breaking ability alone.

Archived