The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Cleared Waivers] F Scott Gomez, and F Sam Gagner

Mackcanuck

LOL @ "Oilers ruined Gagner"

Gagner has a career point production of just under .60 / game, which makes him about as productive over the course of his career as Ryan Kesler.

Is he facing adversity overcoming a head injury?  You bet. Is Gagner in the best spot in his career right now? Nope.

The Canucks could do worse than picking him up (Linden Vey is up with the club),  but regardless of whether you think the Canucks should grab him or not, Gagner is not a bust, FFS!

Hell no to Gomez. We may be weak at centre but the last we need to get is slower and older.

I'm iffy on Gagner. That 31.3% number isn't that telling since he's barely taken any faceoffs this year, he's been about a 47% player in recent years which is still pretty bad but an improvement over McCann, Cracknell or Hansen/Daniel. He's a right shot as well, and on an expiring contract so there's not a lot of commitment involved. And he's only 26 so its not like he's Stoll or Gomez... I don't see Benning putting in a claim though.

Oh, how where you get drafted makes all the difference. Kaner went to Chicago and Gagner to Edmonton. Albeit Kane was probably the better player and had the higher ceiling, but Gagner going to Edmonton arguably crapped all over his potential and a product of a terrible team rebuild where Kane flourished under a successful rebuild with 3 Cups and is one of the best players in the league right now. Chicago rebuilt properly and Edmonton still can't get it done.

With Brandon Sutter still out, I think we should claim Gagner. It would give Horvat less stress. Sam Gagner has shown he can produce, has had 10+ goals every season. I think he would be a good fit with Vrbata on the second line. We could give him a chance until Sutter is back and decide what to do with him after. He may do good on another Canadian team. 

2 hours ago, ice orca said:

Stay the course bring up our own guys.

How is that different from Oiler hockey?

Bo and McCann look totally over-matched at this point, do we want to turn them into Sam Gagner or maybe Sven 2.0?

also, if Benning/Linden>aquaman are in the make the playoffs mode and dont wanna fully commit to a rebuild adding a piece like gagner would fit in to their goal. He is a nhl proven player, anyone we call up is unknown and adds yet another young rookie to the team. They may prefer to add a 26yr old with a lot of experience rather than put pressure on shinkaruk/grenier/gaunce to try and produce offensively, allows them to stay in utica for the year most likely

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Gagner>>>Vey.

Even at 3 times the cost. He's a UFa at the end of the season anyways. He'll be playing for a contract (and to stay in the NHL).

i agree and vey can go back to utica without waivers too can he not due to already going on waivers earlier in year. its an experiment worth trying imo. 

Archived