The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hansen fined $2000 for diving

b3.

34 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Do you want to go back to the days when Kesler would go down like hexes shot by a sniper in the crowd every time he got touched?  The penalties and fines are there to try to keep the players honest. I agree it's a difficult penalty to call with 100% certainty, but it's better than when players were diving multiple times a game to try to draw a penalty 

Diving penalties haven't changed Kesler. He plays a similar game to Hansen, just more talent. There have always been divers in the game, and half the time diving penalties are called, they're questionable. 

Why not let divers dive? They'll continue to have their reputation and no longer get benefit of the doubt by refs, kind of like how Burrows is treated nightly. 

To me, letting a referee make a penalty call based on something that does not hurt the opposing player or negatively alter the opposing team's game play, is nonesensical.  Some players stay on the ice an extra length of time after a big hit to ensure the other team gets a penalty. Why aren't they called for milking it? They pop right up and get on the power play as soon as the call is made. Penalty calls based on intent like diving just sour the game. 

There have been  blatant dives against us that weren't called..but because this one was called it gets a fine...I love the how the refs have the blinders on when other teams have been trying to draw penalties on us, some with the elegance of Brian Boitano. 

Classic NHL ey. Hank gets hit directly in the head, offender gets nada. But oh my god the world is ending a guy embellishes according to league sources and gets more punishment. I don't know what Aquillni did to the NHL in his past life, but they hate this team with a passion.

Glad NHL has their priorities straight. 

14 hours ago, b3. said:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=795136

I guess that's what happens when you're consistently the teams hardest worker.

NHL is beyond idiotic. Fine Prust $5000 for a love tap, fine Hansen $2000 for a dive then one of the Sedins gets an elbow to the head and not even a penalty or a fine. The NHL is a joke when it comes to disciplinary punishment as their punishments never fit the crime. The idiots in charge will just change for other idiots to take over but the one thing that will remain consistent is their inconsistencies when it comes to fines or suspensions.

On 12/31/2015 at 3:52 PM, TheOgRook said:

Have another look.. You can see the defenders stick flex from the force of Hansen driving forward.  Can't believe they missed that?  These sticks are meant to bend under pressure, it's not a pool noodle! 

I say I can't believe but yet I'm not surprised. Such a conundrum of thoughts.  #Bushleague

It's already been established that the defender deserved a penalty on the play, however, that doesn't negate the fact that Hansen embellished. Hence the fine.

Archived