The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Flyers trade D Luke Schenn F Vincent Lecavalier to Los Angeles for F Jordan Weal and a 3rd

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Everything is happening!

I was actually just going to say that.  Seems that we're getting a flurry after a dull start to the season for trades.

Wondering if this will be it for a month or two or if we'll see more teams in the bottom 4 of their respective conferences making moves in the annual NHL playoff arms race

5 minutes ago, JV77 said:

LA beat the Hawks, to go on to win a cup as well.  Kings are big and mean, but they don't get enough credit for having skill and speed as well. 

Yeah, "seriously" - not as simple as you suggested then, is it?

A few people here seem to be missing the fact that the Kings actually gave up assets in this deal.

Jordan Weal -  a ppg player two years running at age 21 and 22 in the AHL - not a chopped liver prospect.  Not a bad one for one swap / risk for Schenn for Philly imo, particularly when you take Schenn's contract into consideration.   

A 3rd round pick for Lecavalier...?  I do that deal every time from Philly's side.

Interesting move. I wonder if this forces other teams in the west to make a move to strengthen their position heading into the second half of the season and postseason. 

Vancouver should sit still. If anything, we should be selling. 

How is Luke Schenn the poster boy for this thread? How do you not even mention Lecavalier in the title? hahaha.

I honestly think this can turn out well for the Kings which is annoying to say the least. They have shown to be able to ignore the salary cap in the past and make contracts go away so why not. 

People want to talk about the Kings being good with trades…..Ha. Put it this way. If the Kings don’t win the cup this year and Lucic walks.  That team will have giving up a 3 first round picks and a 2nd round pick, all in the last two years with nothing to show for it.

• The 2015 one being 13th overall (with Barzal still on the board),                                      
  • a potential top 5 pick (could very well be one of the fins) or greater in the 2016 draft (SJ), and
  • their 2016 first round pick +  Mckeown which they gave up in the Sekeras deal last year.  Another player who walked.

That’s how you really blow your chances at a smooth transition, us canucks fans know all too well. Booth, Ballard, Roy, Pahlsson. 

Good move by philly, those contracts were anchors and they will only need to see their names on the books until seasons end then they just created 8m in cap space to re-sign schenn and improve blue line 

Essentially la just acquired a roughly 2.5m rental in lecavalier to centre their 3rd line and a enigmatic young rough defenseman...great deal for both sides

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

People want to talk about the Kings being good with trades…..Ha. Put it this way. If the Kings don’t win the cup this year and Lucic walks.  That team will have giving up a 3 first round picks and a 2nd round pick, all for nothing to show for it.

The 2015 one being 13th overall (with Barzal) still on the board, a potential top 5 pick (could very well be one of the fins) or greater in the 2016 draft (SJ), and their 2016 first round pick +  Mckeown which they gave up in the Sekeras deal last year.  Another player who walked.

That’s how you really blow your chances at a smooth transition, us canucks fans know all too well. Booth, Ballard, Roy, Pahlsson. 

You can add Martin Jones and Colin Miller to that.

Weal's another depth prospect for the kings who has turned out nicely. I remember playing with him in North Van, kids incredible. He'll do much better in the East.

I thought taking on Lecalvalier would be a cap dump to even things out, but it appears PHI is holding back salary. Weird trade. 

Funny, both had some form of a NMC or a M-NTC so they really must have wanted out (obviously Vinny wanted out bad - now he went from virtually worst to first).

Considering the maneuvering has begun (Caps signing Richards for depth) I think we'll see some more activity above and beyond the very limited amount of player-for-player deals that went down since the beginning of the season so far. 

43 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Edited like two seconds after it was posted.

But go ahead and ignore the rest of the post.

The speed doesn't matter part, lol.

40 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty much.

I think he must have missed the Kings Stanley cup runs of the last few years.

Speed doesn't matter against the Kings. The other team will be alot slower by the end of the series anyways.

I suppose when they've lost to the Hawks it was the Hawks superior grit that decided it, right.

Another DeNiro oversimplification.

I don't know how this can be considered anything but a win for LA.  They get two decent players for the bottom of their lineup at cheap cap hits and give effectively nothing in return.

The question is why did Philly do this?  If Vinny was going to retire at the end of the season regardless then there was no real need to dump him.  Retaining that much salary means they aren't really opening up room to take on someone else's bad contract for the rest of the season either.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You can add Martin Jones and Colin Miller to that.

Yeah it's scary, talk about going all in.

To LA – Lucic

To BOS – 2015 13th overall (could have been Barzal) + Jones (currently a top 5 2016, SJ first round pick) + Colin Miller

To LA - Sekeras

To CAR – 2016 first round pick + McKowen

To LA – Schenn + Lecavalier

To PHI – Weal + 3rd round 2016 pick

What LA has to show for it at the end of 2016 (if they don’t win a cup and don't re-sign Lucic)

0, a playoff run??

What LA gave up

• 2015 13th overall (Barzal)
  • 2016 1st round pick (LA’s)
  • 2016 1st round pick (SJ’s, current sitting in top 5, with a 8.5% chance of being Matthews)
  • 2016 3rd round 2016 pick
  • McKowen
  • Weal
  • Colin Miller

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah it's scary, talk about going all in.

To LA – Lucic

To BOS – 2015 13th overall (could have been Barzal) + Jones (currently a top 5 2016, SJ first round pick) + Colin Miller

To LA - Sekeras

To CAR – 2016 first round pick + McKowen

To LA – Schenn + Lecavalier

To PHI – Weal + 3rd round 2016 pick

What LA has to show for it at the end of 2016 (if they don’t win a cup or re-sign Lucic

What LA gave up

• 2015 13th overall (Barzal)
  • 2016 1st round pick (LA’s)
  • 2016 1st round pick (SJ’s, current sitting in top with a 8.5% chance of being Matthews)
  • 2016 3rd round 2016 pick
  • McKowen
  • Weal

It's the longer run that matters most to Vancouver, and the weakening of their futures pool for short term risks - I'm in favour of that.

12 minutes ago, billabong said:

Good move by philly, those contracts were anchors and they will only need to see their names on the books until seasons end then they just created 8m in cap space to re-sign schenn and improve blue line 

Essentially la just acquired a roughly 2.5m rental in lecavalier to centre their 3rd line and a enigmatic young rough defenseman...great deal for both sides

Don't think it's that much of a salary dump as people think. 

Doesn't Philly have to still pay a penalty if Vinny retires before his contract is up? 

Also, Schenn is UFA at the end of this season, and considering this season is half over and he's been half paid out - how is Philly that much better off by trading him?  You'd think Philly would have gotten more for Schenn at the deadline. 

Archived